• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Danny Manning Credibility Watch

last eight seasons

BC = 102-157
Wake = 105-149

it's not wishing we were BC, we are fucking BC.

What a depressing fucking hobby being a Wake fan is

This is the only thing that needs to be said on this thread. Well, actually that and Ron Wellman resigned and Danny has been fired by the new AD. The parsing of words and micro-analysis of Danny's record and coaching on this thread are the height of absurdity. Rchildress107 gets a thrill out of having people engage him. I certainly do not believe that he even believes the arguments he is making. Danny has done nothing to convince anyone that he will be a successful coach and done a plenty to convince everyone that he will not. Carry on.

This is the only thing that needs to be said on this thread. Well, actually that and Ron Wellman resigned and Danny has been fired by the new AD. The parsing of words and micro-analysis of Danny's record and coaching on this thread are the height of absurdity. Rchildress107 gets a thrill out of having people engage him. I certainly do not believe that he even believes the arguments he is making. Danny has done nothing to convince anyone that he will be a successful coach and done a plenty to convince everyone that he will not. Carry on.

yep
combined with creamy's post - an end thread comment

actually an end boards comment

Last edited:
Can we just hire Becky Hammon away from the Spurs and end this bickering?

The fact that Manning's advertising tweet from last night--a couple hours after our season comes to an--remains up tells you everything you need to know about him. He has already achieved in life and needs nothing. He treats his side job at Wake as just that--he's apathetic and acts like it. You can't compete in that level without the extreme desire and work habits to win.

It was forseeable that Manning would have such an attitude. His money and a mere video review of his games at Tulsa would have revealed that. Wellman screwed up. But like the Buzz hire, it wasn't the hire that was nearly as bad as sticking with it after it was obvious. Manning isn't the guy. We must cut the cord. We are going to be doing it soon anyway.

Watching VT-ND right now. When you look at VT's best players, they're mostly JRs and SRs that were roughly top-100 guys.

- Justin Bibbs, SR, second leading scorer at 13.1 ppg, ranked #86 in his class.
- Ahmed Hill, SR, 4th leading scorer at 11.1 ppg, ranked #62 in his class.
- Justin Robinson, JR, leading scorer at 13.8 ppg, ranked #101 in his class.
- Kerry Blackshear, JR, 3rd leading scorer at 12.7 ppg, ranked #121 in his class
- Chris Clarke, JR, 6th leading scorer at 8.2 ppg, ranked #62 in his class
- Nickeil Alexander-Walker, FR, 5th leading scorer at 10.6 ppg, ranked #40 in his class

What if several of Bibbs, Hill, Robinson, or Blackshear were good enough to go pro early? Let's compare rosters.

In Wake's SR class this year, we had Wilbekin (#265) and would have had Dinos (#NR).
In Wake's JR class, we had Doral (#87), Crawford (#99), and would have had Collins (#185).
In Wake's SO class, we had Chill (#192) and Mitchell (#269)
In Wake's FR class, we had Brown (#36), Eggleston (#275), Sarr (#222), and Okeke.

So, in terms of top 150-players, Wake had 3 guys. VT had 6 guys in its top 6. Haven't even looked at the rest of their guys. Next year, Wake has 2 more guys coming in, VT has 1 - Landers Nolley.

You can say Manning's roster is his own responsibility. It is. And the 2016 class hasn't produced. However, he recruited and developed Collins and Dinos into early-entrant pros. VT's guys weren't good enough to go. VT's 2016 class wasn't that great, but you don't notice because of the SRs and JRs, which we didn't have.

Give Manning the opportunity to coach talented players.

Give Manning the opportunity to coach talented players.

I'm not great at golf. It's all because I've never been given the opportunity to play The Masters! If I had been given that chance, I'd be a far better golfer and probably would whip Dustin Johnson's ass!!!

That's just how stupid this shit sounds.

What a crock! He has had four years to recruit and coach talented players. If he hasn't done it, it's his own damn fault.

Did you graduate from Wake? If so, you’re smarter than this. He had more talent on the roster last year, and guess what, we were a better team. We finished one game behind VT in the standings last year. This year, with all that Jr and Sr collection of top 100 players, VT still finished 7th.

I'm not great at golf. It's all because I've never been given the opportunity to play The Masters! If I had been given that chance, I'd be a far better golfer and probably would whip Dustin Johnson's ass!!!

Well, since 1990, Wake has not made the NCAAT without an NBA first rounder on the roster. IIRC, the only teams that didn't make the NCAAT with a future first rounder was Odom with Howard and Manning with Collins.

I don't think your comparison is the same.

Good post. There is no such thing as a coach that is smart and competent when coaching great players but throws up all over himself when coaching players that are a shade below average. A competent coach has to overcome adversity and obstacles.

The fact that Manning's advertising tweet from last night--a couple hours after our season comes to an--remains up tells you everything you need to know about him. He has already achieved in life and needs nothing. He treats his side job at Wake as just that--he's apathetic and acts like it. You can't compete in that level without the extreme desire and work habits to win.

It was forseeable that Manning would have such an attitude. His money and a mere video review of his games at Tulsa would have revealed that. Wellman screwed up. But like the Buzz hire, it wasn't the hire that was nearly as bad as sticking with it after it was obvious. Manning isn't the guy. We must cut the cord. We are going to be doing it soon anyway.

Straight truth.

“It’s easier to fool people than to convince them they’ve been fooled.” Never more prevalent than those making excuses for manning, or wellman, or hatch, or the players, etc.

What do you guys think our record would have been with JC?

Manning barely played Chaundee and no one was any better than last year outside of Doral

What do you guys think our record would have been with JC?

Manning barely played Chaundee and no one was any better than last year outside of Doral

Still would have been bad on defense so would not have gone far in post season (if we qualified).

Tough night for the superfans of Buzz and Keats. NC State gets a critical inbounds stolen a la Childress, then even worse the players didn't know they were out of timeouts and they draw a game-losing technical.

Then VaTech goes up 20 in the 2nd half against Notre Dame, hitting a 99% win percentage in the process... And continues jacking shots while giving up 50 to lose, including a 7 minute stretch with no field goals in the last quarter of the game.

Ha, fuck those guys. Schadenfreude is all there is left to enjoy in this postseason...

Back