• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Danny Manning Credibility Watch

Cronin, the coach discussed earlier, went from 141->102->86->68 which is more steady progression but not seeing as "high of a high" we had in the first four years. I can see how Cronin's progression being steady with no outliers could be more reassuring though.

Wont let me edit, but also notable they went from Kennedy at 44 to Cronin at 141 rather than inheriting a shit program\ (though I don't know all the details).

It's tough for me to understand people who think that we both:
1) Underachieved in 2016-17
yet
2) Would not have been MUCH better this year w/ Collins (& Dinos)

I'm not arguing anything about Manning's competency as coach... I just think those two points of view are logically conflicted.

Why? Is 19-14 all that different from 17-15? And we would've been minus Dinos (I was answering buckets who said only JC would be back) and Arians.

I think we still lose a game or two we shouldn't in non-conference and the brutal early season run in the ACC still buries us.

If we underachieved with JC last year, I don't really see how we wouldn't underachieve with him again.

Also, I would argue 17-15 is MUCH better than 11-20. But that may have not been completely directed at me

Last edited:
Cronin, the coach discussed earlier, went from 141->102->86->68 which is more steady progression but not seeing as "high of a high" we had in the first four years. I can see how Cronin's progression being steady with no outliers could be more reassuring though.

Yes, last year, although very enjoyable, always just felt like it came out of nowhere. I was worried if we would be able to build on it. I would imagine that feeling would much more rampant under the hypothetical.

I don’t care enough to study the rosters, but pretty sure the whole Huggins—>Kennedy->Cronin transition was quite turbulent. Regardless, I could understand Cincinnati fans being antsy, but I would take Cronin’s first four years over Manning’s every time.

Yes, last year, although very enjoyable, always just felt like it came out of nowhere. I was worried if we would be able to build on it. I would imagine that feeling would much more rampant under the hypothetical.

I don’t care enough to study the rosters, but pretty sure the whole Huggins—>Kennedy->Cronin transition was quite turbulent. Regardless, I could understand Cincinnati fans being antsy, but I would take Cronin’s first four years over Manning’s every time.

Even without a tourney appearance? I can definitely understand that point of view though. Steady progression (or what we did last year + continuity) would be better in terms of fan support during a rebuild as large as ours.

Why? Is 19-14 all that different from 17-15? And we would've been minus Dinos (I was answering buckets who said only JC would be back) and Arians.

I think we still lose a game or two we shouldn't in non-conference and the brutal early season run in the ACC still buries us.

If we underachieved with JC last year, I don't really see how we wouldn't underachieve with him again.

Also, I would argue 17-15 is MUCH better than 11-20. But that may have not been completely directed at me

No, not just directed at you. I disagree about 17-15 (I actually thought the ACC was worse this year vs. last and we should have improved in conference, even with the current roster).

I've tried to stay out of most of these arguments because my support for Manning is quickly waning, but it seems like a lot of folks around here just take the side that everything is a negative and all of those negatives mean that Manning is a terrible coach. I think it's still a little more nuanced than that. Bz was a disaster in all regards... Manning is decidedly less so. But I am coming around to the fact that simply "not being Bz" isn't enough.

The Stallings firing today is a classic example of how the world has passed Ron Wellman by.

It’s absolutely ok to fire after 2 years. It’s fine to pay the buyout. No one gives a shit. There’s no “stigma”. Pitt will make a good hire and be relevant again in 3 years. Wake won’t be. Because we think that’s “not the right way” to do things.

The Stallings firing today is a classic example of how the world has passed Ron Wellman by.

It’s absolutely ok to fire after 2 years. It’s fine to pay the buyout. No one gives a shit. There’s no “stigma”. Pitt will make a good hire and be relevant again in 3 years. Wake won’t be. Because we think that’s “not the right way” to do things.

Amazing times we are living in when Donald Ross is the guy who makes the most sense on ogboards.

Agree with DR

There's so much money and only so many spots at P5 schools that you'll always have interest in jobs

Successful coaches assume that they can win anywhere

Now I am getting pissed off that we waited so long to fire Bz

Amazing times we are living in when Donald Ross is the guy who makes the most sense on ogboards.

I’ve been saying the same stuff for 20 years now. The only difference is now you people see that I’m right. Let’s get this done now and start over with a young coach in our new 7k seat basketball only facility.

Agree with DR

There's so much money and only so many spots at P5 schools that you'll always have interest in jobs

Successful coaches assume that they can win anywhere

Now I am getting pissed off that we waited so long to fire Bz

until now, just mildly annoyed

I’ve been saying the same stuff for 20 years now. The only difference is now you people see that I’m right. Let’s get this done now and start over with a young coach in our new 7k seat basketball only facility.

Dude, you're winning over so many people (including me). I'd even be happy giving your boy Wes a shot next year. But then you bring back this?!? Let's fix the ax wound to the jugular before worrying about the splinter in our pinky toe.

We were at best slightly above average among Power 5+Big East teams. That's what matters since that's who gets all the at-large bids

DR< would you rather have a 7k arena or Manning for 5 more years

We are likely to suck for next 5 anyway. So answer is I would much rather get the infrastructure in winnable form for 2025-45. We need to give the next generation a realistic shot. All we as alums can control now is getting the building correct. What we have now is not correct. We must fix it—that’s on us not Wellman.

Looks like ECU are buying out the AD’s contract and moving on from Jeff Compher. If only Wake would do the same with Wellman.

Dude, you're winning over so many people (including me). I'd even be happy giving your boy Wes a shot next year. But then you bring back this?!? Let's fix the ax wound to the jugular before worrying about the splinter in our pinky toe.

Yeah, at this point I think Wes would be a big upgrade. Building a 7k seat arena doesn't seem that possible. Win and we will bring people back to the joel, lose and it doesn't matter where we play people wont show. What would be more embarrassing to show a recruit than a 1/3 filled 7k arena?

Back