• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Danny Manning Credibility Watch

Manning to be a part of the Final Four pregame coverage from 3-4pm on Saturday.

Good exposure, regardless of your opinion of him.

I bet he is there to provide the Kansas connection. I doubt he will be selling anything Wake Forest related.

Ok for kids to leave any school to make a lot of money, not ok for Mack to leave X to do the same? Seems illogical. Same or close money maybe, but otherwise a no brainer.

Nobody said that.

Thought of another coach that struggled for a few years before enjoying sustained success.

Mick Cronin @ Cincy

Fully realize he hangs his hat on defense and Manning hangs his hat on baffling substitution patterns, but it's still an example.

Cronin's first 5 years at Cincy (starting in '06-'07):
11-19 (2-14); 141 KP
13-19 (8-10); 102
18-14 (8-10); 86
19-16 (7-11); 68
26-9 (11-7); 21

No losing seasons in conference (Big East & AAC) since then, has made the NCAAs every year, and worst KP was 43.

***I am not comparing Cronin to Manning... I just remember that there were posters looking for examples of coaches that struggled early, but then found their footing.

Thought of another coach that struggled for a few years before enjoying sustained success.

Mick Cronin @ Cincy

Fully realize he hangs his hat on defense and Manning hangs his hat on baffling substitution patterns, but it's still an example.

11-19 (2-14); 141 KP
13-19 (8-10); 102
18-14 (8-10); 86
19-16 (7-11); 68
26-9 (11-7); 21

No losing seasons in conference (Big East & AAC) since then, has made the NCAAs every year, and worst KP was 43.

***I am not comparing Cronin to Manning... I just remember that there were posters looking for examples of coaches that struggled early, but then found their footing.

It seems that he improved every season... can we say the same?

Mick Cronin @ Cincy

11-19 (2-14); 141 KP
13-19 (8-10); 102
18-14 (8-10); 86
19-16 (7-11); 68
26-9 (11-7); 21

I brought up the Cronin analogy a little while ago. Being in Cincy, I've watched it all play out. Almost everyone wanted him out the first few years. Administration gave him time to do his thing. Those cries for his removal died down when the wins came. That said, after losing in the tourney the way they did this year, the Cronin boo birds were out in full force calling for his head. I also ran into a Purdue grad friend yesterday who says he is now in the "Mitch-Painter-needs-to-go" camp because his style of play with traditional bigs doesn't work against athletic teams.

Observation to be made is twofold: 1) coaches sometimes need time to solidify a program; and 2) almost every program thinks they can do better. I remember talking to a Duke fan a few years ago who said Duke always blows it at the big moments.

After his first 3 seasons, Cronin has had 9 consecutive postseason teams and finished top-40 7 times, peaking this year as kenpom #4. Not much to complain about for Cincinnati. Put him in a top 10 job and I think his record will look a lot like Izzo's.

Manning to be a part of the Final Four pregame coverage from 3-4pm on Saturday.

Good exposure, regardless of your opinion of him.

He will be in the first hour (3-4 PM eastern) according to the Wake web site. Good publicity for Wake, even if much of his appearance is focused on the 30 year old Kansas story. Danny will be still mentioned as being the Wake Head Coach. This is the intangible that Danny brings that few other coaches can match,

He will be in the first hour (3-4 PM eastern) according to the Wake web site. Good publicity for Wake, even if much of his appearance is focused on the 30 year old Kansas story. Danny will be still mentioned as being the Wake Head Coach. This is the intangible that Danny brings that few other coaches can match,

A coach 30 miles down the road can match his one NCAA championship as a player and one NCAA appearance as a coach.

A coach 30 miles down the road can match his one NCAA championship as a player and one NCAA appearance as a coach.

Coach down the road isn't known as the guy who carried his team to the championship. Few know he was on the team. And that is why I said few, not "no other"

A different coach 30 min down the road won a national championship as head coach.

Last edited:
Neither of those local coaches are going to be on the TV pregame broadcast Saturday. Danny is scheduled to be on TV,

Danny needs to spend more time working on his bench coaching acumen and less time hamming it up on TV.

Back