• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Danny Manning Credibility Watch

The idea that it takes 3 seasons to get from near .500 to the first four is ridiculous especially when retaining the best players from the previous regime and signing a good class.

That's how long it took Tony Bennett at UVA to make the tourney (as a 10 seed).

And then missed the tourney in Year 4 before starting the amazing run of the last 6 years.

ETA: This is NOT a defense of Manning. I just agree that it can take a few years for a good coach to lift a team from bad to OK. I thought Manning was on the right track near the end of year 3 (as did most around here)... Obviously, it hasn't played out well since then.

Last edited:
That's how long it took Tony Bennett at UVA to make the tourney (as a 10 seed).

And then missed the tourney in Year 4 before starting the amazing run of the last 6 years.

ETA: This is NOT a defense of Manning. I just agree that it can take a few years for a good coach to lift a team from bad to OK. I thought Manning was on the right track near the end of year 3 (as did most around here)... Obviously, it hasn't played out well since then.

The biggest concern for me was the defense. With just mediocre defense that team would have been a legit sweet 16 contender.

That and the late game collapses where you really need a coach to step up.

I went to my last game during Manning's "good" year. It was one of the bad 14 losses.

It would have taken some amazing talent to over come his coaching deficiencies.

Would love to know what “that level” was referring to. I was thoroughly in the “it’s unlikely but Manning actually has a chance to produce good results on the court” camp. That was the correct camp to be in until John Collins left school.

I just love this reasoning:

Turns out I was wrong, but I was right to be wrong since we did not have enough information to know I was going to be wrong.

Those who were right earlier than me were actually wrong to feel that way since we did not have enough information to know that.

A. Vegas loves guys who overreact to one game.

by the way, I'm not sure what the purpose of the Vegas non-sequitur is, and I don't bet against the Deacs, but according to this site, Manning is 58-71-4 against the spread

it would appear that going to Vegas to bet against Manning has been a good idea

I just love this reasoning:

Turns out I was wrong, but I was right to be wrong since we did not have enough information to know I was going to be wrong.

Those who were right earlier than me were actually wrong to feel that way since we did not have enough information to know that.

If I tell you there are nine red marbles and one blue marble in a jar, the fact that you pull out a red marble doesn’t prove me wrong.

The biggest concern for me was the defense. With just mediocre defense that team would have been a legit sweet 16 contender.

That and the late game collapses where you really need a coach to step up.

I went to my last game during Manning's "good" year. It was one of the bad 14 losses.

It would have taken some amazing talent to over come his coaching deficiencies.

This is correct.

If I tell you there are nine red marbles and one blue marble in a jar, the fact that you pull out a red marble doesn’t prove me wrong.

I'm not convinced you're well. I'm sure that response makes sense to you and totally destroy's knowell's post, but, wow.

by the way, I'm not sure what the purpose of the Vegas non-sequitur is, and I don't bet against the Deacs, but according to this site, Manning is 58-71-4 against the spread

it would appear that going to Vegas to bet against Manning has been a good idea

Simply that people who assess the quality of college basketball teams for a living thought Manning’s team was better than Buzz’s team in year 3 of somewhat similar rebuilds despite Buzz outperforming Manning against some amorphous collection of teams.

Simply that people who assess the quality of college basketball teams for a living thought Manning’s team was better than Buzz’s team in year 3 of somewhat similar rebuilds despite Buzz outperforming Manning against some amorphous collection of teams.

those people lost a shit ton of money on Wake Forest games the following year because severely and consistently overvalued WF

I'm not convinced you're well. I'm sure that response makes sense to you and totally destroy's knowell's post, but, wow.

Weird how no one is taking issue with all of these factual statements that apparently prove my insanity.

If I had ever come out and declared that Manning was going to be a successful coach at Wake then knowell would have a point. Y’all have been trying to get me to stan for Manning for at least the past three years. It’s not going to happen.

Back