• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Danny Manning replacement search thread

I guess it's nice to see hope rather than pessimism on this board, but when this college basketball season shakes out, the WF basketball opening is unlikely to the "top" of any list, including Beilein's if he is considering going back to coaching in college.

WF has been ranked #117 or worse in college basketball for 7 of the last 9 years. Currently, WF is #97 which would be WF 3rd highest rating since 2010. So, in WF's 3rd best basketball season over the last 10 years, WF is still ranked behind Northern Colorado, Duquesne, North Texas and Akron - among others). Without a full-on analysis that may be the worst overall record over the last 10 years of any Power 6 program with the possible exceptions of Washington State and Oregon State. Do you think Beilein would consider Washington State or Oregon State? Then, he probably isn't going to consider WF. That is WF's company right now.

I think everyone knows what Wake Forest can be with simply a competent coach. Jeff [Redacted] and Danny Manning were not good hires. [Redacted] was hired to try and clean the program. Danny was hired to try and make a splash. We need a proven winner. Wake is the best job out there as of now. We have facilities and resources that no other school has. Now if Texas does end up firing Shaka, they may be the best job. But for now, it’s us.

If Texas does end up firing Shaka though, it just boggles my mind the people think he would succeed here. He has every resource at Texas you could possibly imagine. Don’t let the run at VCU distract you from what the current situation is at Texas. They play BAD, UNDISCIPLINED basketball. Exactly what we don’t want. It also looks like complete shit hiring a guy that was fired from another P6 program. There’s no reason for him to make a nearly lateral move. It’s pathetic people even consider it imo. Shaka had a couple of good seasons. But those seasons are getting to be pretty distant from the present.

PTI guys said they've heard rumors that Beilein could end up at Texas, DePaul or BC.

I don’t think he would consider DePaul or BC over Wake Pilchard.

Last edited:
TN hired Barnes 2 days after Texas fired him.

I think everyone knows what Wake Forest can be with simply a competent coach. Jeff [Redacted] and Danny Manning were not good hires. [Redacted] was hired to try and clean the program. Danny was hired to try and make a splash. We need a proven winner. Wake is the best job out there as of now. We have facilities and resources that no other school has. Now if Texas does end up firing Shaka, they may be the best job. But for now, it’s us.

If Texas does end up firing Shaka though, it just boggles my mind the people think he would succeed here. He has every resource at Texas you could possibly imagine. Don’t let the run at VCU distract you from what the current situation is at Texas. They play BAD, UNDISCIPLINED basketball. Exactly what we don’t want. It also looks like complete shit hiring a guy that was fired from another P6 program. There’s no reason for him to make a nearly lateral move. It’s pathetic people even consider it imo. Shaka had a couple of good seasons. But those seasons are getting to be pretty distant from the present.

Um, Wake Forest is not a hot job right now. Maybe Beilein or Matta decide to come here, but I wouldn't hold your breath for either. Realistic options are either rolling the dice on a successful mid-major or low-major coach ala Wes Miller (a good choice!), grabbing a coach who had success, but flamed out at another high major job like Shaka or hoping that Pat Chambers wants out of Penn State. Anthony Grant was fired from Alabama after being good, but not great there and now is the coach of a legit top 5 team at Dayton that would be good enough to win the ACC this year. That's the hope for Shaka. Any no-brainer choice ain't coming here, bro. You sound delusional.

Btw, I haven't watched Texas play so caveat emptor, but their defense is top 40 so I don't know how one accomplishes that playing "BAD, UNDISCIPLINED" basketball. Do know that Manning couldn't find a top 40 defense if it was sitting on his lap.

Um, Wake Forest is not a hot job right now. Maybe Beilein or Matta decide to come here, but I wouldn't hold your breath for either. Realistic options are either rolling the dice on a successful mid-major or low-major coach ala Wes Miller (a good choice!), grabbing a coach who had success, but flamed out at another high major job like Shaka or hoping that Pat Chambers wants out of Penn State. Anthony Grant was fired from Alabama after being good, but not great there and now is the coach of a legit top 5 team at Dayton that would be good enough to win the ACC this year. That's the hope for Shaka. Any no-brainer choice ain't coming here, bro. You sound delusional.

Btw, I haven't watched Texas play so caveat emptor, but their defense is top 40 so I don't know how one accomplishes that playing "BAD, UNDISCIPLINED" basketball. Do know that Manning couldn't find a top 40 defense if it was sitting on his lap.

FWIW, Manning did have the 51st best defense at Tulsa, and that's basically why we hired him (because his offense was dog-shit).

FWIW, Manning did have the 51st best defense at Tulsa, and that's basically why we hired him (because his offense was dog-shit).

Fair enough. Still, Shaka's worst-ever team defensively is clearly better than Manning's best-ever. Not saying that's a high bar, just that we know that Shaka's teams will defend (and possibly not score enough to win a bunch of games).

Last edited:
Currie should hire Beilein immediately. If we really have to wait to the end of the season to fire dumb ass Danny to save buyout money then create a position for him ....Assistant AD or something. If dumb ass Danny insists on collecting the full buyout make the bastard as uncomfortable as possible.

Three things, Watson only came here because of Rex Walters connections with Mac Irvin Fire so he would not be interested in Wake anymore when he is let go. Quadry Adams and Mucius were committed more to Randolph Childress than Wake Forest. Chaundee could likely graduate and transfer as a GT next year. Sarr can easily make a lot of money in France next year and would see the train wreck coming and get out of dodge. None of these are reason enough to keep Manning another year but I was just pointing out we will be desperate for players if they all leave and that is not a good thing for a new coach, whomever it is. Don't kid yourselves into thinking this will be a quick or easy process, that is not fair to the next coach, but it is necessary to fire Danning regardless

With all the good replacement options and very few openings, hiring Wes Miller would be such a shit hire.

We will know if he was a good hire or not based on results. Obviously we would have been in a much better position hiring him a decade ago. He has had a very good decade. We have had a horrific one.

We could already have him with a decade as our Coach. But, whatever, point is hires aren't judged the day they are made. They are handicapped the day they are made but not judged. Time reveals who handicapped right and who handicapped wrong.

It's funny to use Texas as the measuring stick. The fans wanted Barnes out when he had made the NCAA's 16 of 17 years. Sure they were not as dominant at the end but I think his time at TN shows their fan base should not be a reference point on coaching success.

Yes Shaka has not lit it up at Texas, but his results have not been horrendous, but given their delusional fan base they will push a coach out faster than most schools. Shaka is 42, I doubt he's fully matured as a coach and seems smart enough to learn from his recent experiences, but learning at Texas is probably not the best situation.

The irony is that before Texas, we would have to fight every school with an opening for him, but now it's a possibility.

That being said if we came up with a proven mid-major, Forbes or the like we be doing alright as well, but those guys can hold out for a good opening (i.e. Shaka to Texas).

On one of these threads I posted a story about how the NBA level recruits aren't looking to play Shaka's signature defense and Shaka's main weakness is half court offense (as noted about it's not half court defense). I'd rather have my coach working out his offense than his defense and if he went back to havoc it could solve some of he problems.

Back