• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Danny Manning replacement search thread

Shaka has won 65% of his games and has taken his team to the NCAA tourney in 7 of 10 seasons including one final four (granted it will soon to be 7/11). His teams won the CBI tourney (his first year coaching) and NIT tourney in two of those three seasons that they didn't qualify for the NCAA. Manning, on the other hand, has won 46% of his games, has made the NCAA tourney in 2 out of 7 seasons (if we're including the first four dud), winning 0 tourney games there, though he also qualified for the CBI in his first year (didn't win a game). So yeah, Texas sucks this year, but overall their respective accomplishments are not very similar at all, really. Also Smart is charismatic and not a wooden stiff so call me crazy, but that's preferable in a coach.

Again, throw all that VCU crap out the window. His tenure at Texas is a little better than Manning's at Wake and they're ready to fire his ass. Wake ran off a coach who won an NIT.

Smart's average record over his first four years is 18-17, and that includes 5 wins in the NIT championship season where he went 16-15 in the regular season. Texas is on its wat to its fourth straight losing season in the Big 12.

For comparison Manning is averaging 13-19 at Wake. You don't pay a $15 million buyout to get a guy who is maybe going to win five more games a year, and is on the verge of being fired for underperforming expectations, and is underperforming the last coach in that position.

The thing is, I’d bet a good amount of money if we hired Beilein he’d have just as talented of a squad playing on the court in November this year as we do now. He’d have some players committed to playing in Winston. He’s coming off of a NBA coaching gig.

Not sure Beilein can realistically point to his disastrous (and brief) NBA coaching stint as a reason to play for him.

Probably better to point to the NCAA championship games.

The thing is, I’d bet a good amount of money if we hired Beilein he’d have just as talented of a squad playing on the court in November this year as we do now. He’d have some players committed to playing in Winston. He’s coming off of a NBA coaching gig.

Sure, but the point is, he'd have to work really hard between April and November to make that happen. The man is 67 had has an NBA severance package in his pocket, does he really need a challenging rebuild? There are probably less stressful jobs for him out there with better fringe benefits.

Massoud will carry a three point make percentage around 40 into next season. Lotta coaches would like a 6-8 shooter who "sucked" like that. Ody has had moments, both good and bad that show he is a freshman who needs guidance.

Tariq Ingraham hasn't played a minute of college basketball he is much more a giant ? than anything. At 6-9, 250, he should have good ability to get position for paint touches.

Is this a serious post ?

Sure, but the point is, he'd have to work really hard between April and November to make that happen. The man is 67 had has an NBA severance package in his pocket, does he really need a challenging rebuild? There are probably less stressful jobs for him out there with better fringe benefits.

What jobs? The Wake opening is currently at the top of the list.

If he can coach in the NBA, he can coach at the college level. Also, the payout probably isn’t as much as you’d think. It’s reported he left a LOAD of money on the table because he was tired of the situation. By no means is money an issue for him, but he’s not getting as large of an amount as one would think. I think it’s pretty clear he wanted to leave now, and I think that is because he wants to coach college basketball. I think he wants to be completely open for schools to contact him as they become available.

Beilein is being reassigned to another position in the Cleveland organization. Doesn't mean he isn't available for a college position, but he isn't unemployed. I guess this means he hasn't lost that all-important health care insurance.

Again, throw all that VCU crap out the window. His tenure at Texas is a little better than Manning's at Wake and they're ready to fire his ass. Wake ran off a coach who won an NIT.

Smart's average record over his first four years is 18-17, and that includes 5 wins in the NIT championship season where he went 16-15 in the regular season. Texas is on its wat to its fourth straight losing season in the Big 12.

For comparison Manning is averaging 13-19 at Wake. You don't pay a $15 million buyout to get a guy who is maybe going to win five more games a year, and is on the verge of being fired for underperforming expectations, and is underperforming the last coach in that position.

Smart has underperformed at Texas so that's a reasonable argument against his candidacy I guess. But he'd sure as shit be a huge upgrade. The Big 12 is currently, sad to say, a better basketball conference than the ACC. At Texas his teams have had an average KP rank of 50 (so they've played about the level of a fringe tourney team). Wake has averaged a 106 ranking under Manning (ie shit). Sure, I'd hope we could do better than being a fringe tourney team over the next five years, but I highly doubt the next Chris Beard is walking through that door and if you disqualify Smart's VCU performance than which extremely successful major conference candidate is stepping through the door at Wake Forest circa 2020? Beilein's old ass? We shall see.

Last edited:
I guess it's nice to see hope rather than pessimism on this board, but when this college basketball season shakes out, the WF basketball opening is unlikely to the "top" of any list, including Beilein's if he is considering going back to coaching in college.

WF has been ranked #117 or worse in college basketball for 7 of the last 9 years. Currently, WF is #97 which would be WF 3rd highest rating since 2010. So, in WF's 3rd best basketball season over the last 10 years, WF is still ranked behind Northern Colorado, Duquesne, North Texas and Akron - among others). Without a full-on analysis that may be the worst overall record over the last 10 years of any Power 6 program with the possible exceptions of Washington State and Oregon State. Do you think Beilein would consider Washington State or Oregon State? Then, he probably isn't going to consider WF. That is WF's company right now.

Last edited:
I guess it's nice to see hope rather than pessimism on this board, but when this college basketball season shakes out, the WF basketball opening is unlikely to the "top" of any list, including Beilein's if he is considering going back to coaching in college.

WF has been ranked #117 or worse in college basketball for 7 of the last 9 years. Currently, WF is #97 which would be WF 3rd highest rating since 2010. Without a full-on analysis that may be the worst overall record over the last 10 years of any Power 6 program with the possible exceptions of Washington State and Oregon State. Do you think Beilein would consider Washington State or Oregon State? Then, he probably isn't going to consider WF. That is WF's company right now.

Bingo

PTI guys said they've heard rumors that Beilein could end up at Texas, DePaul or BC.

Smart has underperformed at Texas so that's a reasonable argument against his candidacy I guess. But he'd sure as shit be a huge upgrade. The Big 12 is currently, sad to say, a better basketball conference than the ACC. At Texas his teams have had an average KP rank of 50 (so they've played about the level of a fringe tourney team). Wake has averaged a 106 ranking under Manning (ie shit). Sure, I'd hope we could do better than being a fringe tourney team over the next five years, but I highly doubt the next Chris Beard is walking through that door and if you disqualify Smart's VCU performance than which extremely successful major conference candidate is stepping through the door at Wake Forest circa 2020? Beilein's old ass? We shall see.

KP ranks the Big 12 #2 and the ACC #3, so yes, the Big 12 is better than the ACC.

I think Smart has proven over the past five years what his ceiling is in a big time conference and it's not very high. He's not playing the same style he played at VCU, his X's and O's are reoundly criticized, and he's not winning much with players who are actually pretty good.

I'd rather have Beilein if we can get him or have a younger guy who hasn't so obviously plateaued.

WF has been ranked #117 or worse in college basketball for 7 of the last 9 years. Currently, WF is #97 which would be WF 3rd highest rating since 2010. So, in WF's 3rd best basketball season over the last 10 years, WF is still ranked behind Northern Colorado, Duquesne, North Texas and Akron - among others). Without a full-on analysis that may be the worst overall record over the last 10 years of any Power 6 program with the possible exceptions of Washington State and Oregon State. Do you think Beilein would consider Washington State or Oregon State? Then, he probably isn't going to consider WF. That is WF's company right now.

To counter, in Beilein's lifetime, Wake has been ranked number one and produced multiple NBA Allstars and a bunch of solid players. So it's not like he would have no precedent for Wake being good. He wasn't far away when Odom and Skip had great success at Wake.

To counter, in Beilein's lifetime, Wake has been ranked number one and produced multiple NBA Allstars and a bunch of solid players. So it's not like he would have no precedent for Wake being good. He wasn't far away when Odom and Skip had great success at Wake.

No, in fact, he was quite close. Beating Skip with a bunch of crappier players.

I'm a preferable coach over manning. So is my 7 yo. Pretty sure either one of us could roll the ball out and get these results. I'm also confident that my lineups and substitutions would be superior so we might sneak an extra few games.

If Shaka Smart had the appearance, personality, and name of [redacted], but with the same record that he currently has, would we be as enamored? Besides the Final Four, which is obviously impressive, isn’t part of the appeal of hiring Shaka Smart that you’re hiring someone whose looks project extreme confidence and competence, and who has the name “Shaka Smart”?

So the question is, will Shaka Smart ever again become “Shaka Smart.”

If Shaka Smart had the appearance, personality, and name of [redacted], but with the same record that he currently has, would we be as enamored? Besides the Final Four, which is obviously impressive, isn’t part of the appeal of hiring Shaka Smart that you’re hiring someone whose looks project extreme confidence and competence, and who has the name “Shaka Smart”?

So the question is, will Shaka Smart ever again become “Shaka Smart.”

So... uh... #HotTake

He doesn’t have an NBA severance package. He left a lot of guaranteed money on the table because he wanted out.

Back