• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Danny Manning replacement search thread

Ayo is correct about Barnes’ contract. $4.7 next year with $250K raises each year. I can’t fathom we have the ability to pay that much. Beilein is far more affordable.

I stopped reading after “Ayo is correct”

Ayo is correct about Barnes’ contract. $4.7 next year with $250K raises each year. I can’t fathom we have the ability to pay that much. Beilein is far more affordable.

Is he?

Beilien, Barnes and Forbes. The most encouraging part of this trio is Forbes. The four years they spent together at Tennessee trumps Forbes subsequent misdemeanor and makes him the floor for coaching candidates. That's a damn high floor that allows Currie to swing for the fences. A rumor worthy of a grin.

As a resident "old" and long-time observer of the way MSD operates, let me do my part to help guide the discussion here. The following people will never coach mens' basketball at WF:

Rick Barnes
John Belein
Gregg Marshall
Thad Matta
Rick Pitino

With those facts in hand, carry on.

I like Forbes. And I’m glad the top of the So Con is getting the credit it deserves. But I remain confused why the seemingly wide consensus for Forbes over Miller here. They are essentially even the last 5 years at the top of the league.

Forbes is not an ACC or Wake guy. He also is older than Miller—a clear disadvantage. If they both have 3 good years at Wake, Forbes is the one who would depart.

If Miller’s shooters hands get hot and they take down ETSU once again in Asheville, some here will switch to Miller again. Why? Because UNCG’s shooters got hot for an 8 minute stretch. This year, Wes team is 26-6. They lost at Allen Field House and on two half court bank in buzzer beaters. And he’s somehow fallen behind Forbes now?

The big picture here is that Miller is the generational Coach WF needs. He’s a 3 decade play.

I like Forbes. And I’m glad the top of the So Con is getting the credit it deserves. But I remain confused why the seemingly wide consensus for Forbes over Miller here. They are essentially even the last 5 years at the top of the league.

Forbes is not an ACC or Wake guy. He also is older than Miller—a clear disadvantage. If they both have 3 good years at Wake, Forbes is the one who would depart.

If Miller’s shooters hands get hot and they take down ETSU once again in Asheville, some here will switch to Miller again. Why? Because UNCG’s shooters got hot for an 8 minute stretch. This year, Wes team is 26-6. They lost at Allen Field House and on two half court bank in buzzer beaters. And he’s somehow fallen behind Forbes now?

The big picture here is that Miller is the generational Coach WF needs. He’s a 3 decade play.

Yeah just discard every P5 assistant and recruiting gig Forbes had. Wes is no generational coach (and he’s a tarhole).

Last edited:

You realize you lack credibility when it comes to Miller, correct? Particularly after you’ve repeatedly said Wake made a mistake not hiring him 10 years ago, which may be one of the dumbest positions I’ve seen in the history of this board (and all its and predecessors).

I like Forbes, but still assume Furman will get the SoCon bid. Do Wake fans get soured if they hire a guy from NIT? Still good chance Furman or UNCG win reg season, so possible East Tenn misses both tournaments. Will that matter to anyone?

The fact we have Barnes and Belein being 2 of the top choices of Currie does not mean I think we will be able to hire either. Just because Currie has a wish list does not mean it is likely or even possible, but it does give me hope that Currie knows what he is doing. I still think we will end up with a Forbes, Becker, Miller type coach but none of those would be anywhere near as bad as our last 2 and would help rebuild this program IMO

Yeah just discard every P5 assistant and recruiting gig Forbes had. Wes is no generational coach (and he’s a tarhole).

I my limited observation that is not a big concern. Wes wanted to play for Wake 1st, and Skip would not let him come in as a walk-on or scholarship. His family had court side seats. Wake owes him a bit of consideration for the snub. At least, not hold his eventual playing elsewhere against him. IMHO

I my limited observation that is not a big concern. Wes wanted to play for Wake 1st, and Skip would not let him come in as a walk-on or scholarship. His family had court side seats. Wake owes him a bit of consideration for the snub. At least, not hold his eventual playing elsewhere against him. IMHO
Wake doesn't owe him anything in the coaching search just because he wanted to come to Wake as a player and someone didn't let him.

The Wake coaching job shouldn’t be about who owes what to who. It should be only about who will help us win. That was Miller 10 years ago. It’s Miller now.

I said it 10 years ago. I was scoffed at. Now he wins and I’m still scoffed at. Fine by me. Can we start winning now?

The Wake coaching job shouldn’t be about who owes what to who. It should be only about who will help us win. That was Miller 10 years ago. It’s Miller now.

I said it 10 years ago. I was scoffed at. Now he wins and I’m still scoffed at. Fine by me. Can we start winning now?

Hiring Wes Miller as HC 10 years ago would be like hiring Allen Payne as HC today.

Miller deserves to be in the conversation. He is the highest risk but also the highest reward if he turns out to be great. If he becomes great, Wake has him for 30-40 years and will be a perennial top team for most of these posters lifetimes.

Barnes or Beilein are on the opposite end. They are pretty close to guaranteed to get Wake back in great shape but the downside being that we will need to make another really good hire in 5-10 years to keep it going.

Forbes is somewhere in between.

Honestly, I would be happy with any of those names and I will back at the games the first year they arrive.

The biggest downside to Miller is donaldross becoming insufferable. How many posters would be okay with Miller being hired so long as DR is not allowed to post?

10 years ago Wes didn’t have a resume to warrant consideration for any ACC job. His first winning season at UNCG came in year 6 so obviously he went through some growing pains. The ACC would not have been the place for that. Today, however, he has built a sustained winner and proven himself to be an excellent coach. I would have no trouble getting excited about hiring him.

I agree with this.
The operative word in my comment was intended to be the 'consideration'. He shouldn't be ruled out just for going to UNC as suggested by some. There were circumstances. And again, our greatest coach was 'Bones', and he spent time at UNC. Dean was 'burned' in effigy after a Wake loss to 'Bones'. There were more. Had 'Bones' stayed at Wake, Dean's glory might not have been so golden.

If we had made the insane hire of a guy with one year as an assistant at Elon to be our HC, he would have been fired by now.

Back