• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Danny Manning replacement search thread

Wes has always been the ultimate grinder with the brains to match. Anyone halfway paying attention at Wake knew this 10 years ago. We had the inside info on that. Why didn’t we use it? Others have that info now and he’s a hot commodity. It’s too late to think he’d just take the job. We need unity. We need to beg.

Instead our alums are showing discord & silliness. That’s a real factor here for Wes and Currie. As modern cutting edge folks in this industry they are reading all of this. If I’m Miller, I read this junk about my family posted up here and, if I don’t get offered the UNC job, I head elsewhere.

I mean, what the fuck do you do with a post like this?

Hard to call a 27 year old mid-major assistant coach "the ultimate grinder."

dr continues to carefully cultivate his image as a real life Gordon Gecko

image.jpg

too bad Donald's scene was deleted and Michael Douglas is now shilling for Bloomberg

I love how donnie is acting like he is somehow different than other Wake alums, when he’s a bus stop bench ass lawyer in a small southern city. Textbook definition of a Wake alum.

This seems like a needless personal attack. Also inaccurate.

Not sure why I quoted Donald and Kurt Douglas as well, but I'm not mad about it.

It wasn’t hard. It was an easy call. Too bad you folks didn’t say yes and then thank you.

What you are saying here, which is insanely stupid, is that Ron Wellman would have hired 27 year old Wes Miller as our head basketball coach after firing Dino - but the Wake boards simply wouldn't let him. That sounds so Ron Wellman. Constantly weddling through the thoughts and hopes of the wide array of wake alums posting under anonymous handles on the internet. Gotcha.

I'll say it again - there are 3 or 4 Wake alums who have stepped up, have coin, and also respectful reputations. None of them post here or if they do, hide deeply behind their anonymous handles. They have earned their place in the room by ponying up and again, having careers and reputations that allow Wake to lean on them. It doesn't matter whether I am comfortable or uncomfortable with that. Thems the facts.

One of those 4 or 5 guys (and they are all guys), co-owns an NBA franchise. That would imply that a coach might be forth for Currie to consider from the NBA ranks. That's all I got.

But I do know that almost nothing we post on here has any sway. That said, the list we have collectively come up makes rational sense and there are folks on here with fantastic knowledge. Regarding college basketball coaching talent, I am not one of those people so I enjoy reading that content. But DR doesn't seem to be that person either. He's the guy at the strip club stuck in the corner feeding the g-string of the same dancer for the last decade. Sort of weird, but okay, whatever. She's a pretty good dancer and easy on the eyes. But there is other talent and other poles in the room.

This seems like a needless personal attack. Also inaccurate.

LOL, stick around here long enough and you will see EVERYONE attacked, it is the nature of the people here. I am patiently waiting for the attacks on Jesus, Muhammad and Ghandi.

Wes Miller went 60-92 in his first 5 years at UNCG. Danny Manning was 65-93 through his first 5 years at Wake Forest.

It's not irrelevant when determining the credibility of one of our loudest posters who has chosen that hill to die upon for some inexplicable reason.

DR's credibility is irrelevant unless we are using his word in determining who the next coach should be.

Character, age, experience and coaching ability are what matters.

Hopefully Currie unlearned everything that Wellman taught him.

Wes Miller went 60-92 in his first 5 years at UNCG. Danny Manning was 65-93 through his first 5 years at Wake Forest.

That could indicate that Miller needed time to grow into the job. It could also mean that it takes a while to turn a shit job like UNCG into a winner.

Probably some of both.

The Athletic article (from 2/19/20) that was posted on here a while back has a number of quotes from Wes... One of them that seems relevant is this:

“I didn’t know what I was doing,” he says. “Did I have a feel for basketball? Sure. That’s been my life since I can remember. But did I know what it meant to be a college basketball coach? I don’t think so. The biggest difference between me then and now is now I still probably don’t know what the hell I’m doing, but I at least have some self-awareness of that. I was trying to be a certain way as a coach, where now I feel really comfortable in my own skin. I’m comfortable to say that I don’t know all the answers, I don’t have all the answers, but I’m going to work like hell every day to try to get them.”

As I've said before, I think he'd be a good hire... But he's certainly not my top choice. And to suggest we should have hired the guy a decade ago is ridiculous and weakens the impact of DR's opinion on who we should hire now.

I like Forbes over Miller, mostly because I just think he's a better coach. Maybe Miller is a better fit, but I don't know enough about "fit" to make that statement.

I still like Matta over anyone else... That probably makes me delusional, though. I'm OK with that.

In terms of the Barnes/Beilein rumors... I'd be fine with either of those guys, but I don't think we can afford them. I also think Barnes has a better gig and Beilein will get one.

Tbf, I don't think any of us are saying that Wes would be a bad hire. I like him now, I liked him last year and the year before. But people that talk about RJ derailing a goddamn thread need to spend more time posting around DR.

I am a big John Currie guy. You may recall I called for his hiring many times through the years. The scoffing came then too.

Wes Miller has been up since 5 working this morning. Danny Manning and his 50 million in NBA earnings is lazy, dumb, & predictably sleeping in again.

I don’t even want to know how you know that Wes Miller has been up since 5:00 this morning, but if you actually do know, that’s kind of creepy.

But Wes has made progress. Something Danny is incapable of doing at WFU

2011–12 UNC Greensboro 11–11 10–5 1st (North)
2012–13 UNC Greensboro 9–22 6–12 6th (North)
2013–14 UNC Greensboro 14–18 7–9 6th
2014–15 UNC Greensboro 11–22 6–12 T–7th
2015–16 UNC Greensboro 15–19 10–8 T–5th CBI Quarterfinals
2016–17 UNC Greensboro 25–10 14–4 T–1st NIT First Round
2017–18 UNC Greensboro 27–8 15–3 1st NCAA First Round
2018–19 UNC Greensboro 29–7 15–3 2nd NIT Second Round
2019–20 UNC Greensboro 22–6 12–3

UNC Greensboro: 163–123 (.570) 95–59 (.617)
Total: 163–123 (.570)

But Wes has made progress. Something Danny is incapable of doing at WFU

2011–12 UNC Greensboro 11–11 10–5 1st (North)
2012–13 UNC Greensboro 9–22 6–12 6th (North)
2013–14 UNC Greensboro 14–18 7–9 6th
2014–15 UNC Greensboro 11–22 6–12 T–7th
2015–16 UNC Greensboro 15–19 10–8 T–5th CBI Quarterfinals
2016–17 UNC Greensboro 25–10 14–4 T–1st NIT First Round
2017–18 UNC Greensboro 27–8 15–3 1st NCAA First Round
2018–19 UNC Greensboro 29–7 15–3 2nd NIT Second Round
2019–20 UNC Greensboro 22–6 12–3

UNC Greensboro: 163–123 (.570) 95–59 (.617)
Total: 163–123 (.570)

Correct. I posted that to point out the ridiculous idea of hiring Miller 6 or 10 years ago with his resume back then. I'd have no issues hiring him now.

Another Athletic article that I thought was interesting was written last year by our lord and savior Ken Pomeroy... He created program rankings (available on his KenPom site) a while back and the article uses that as a proxy for how you should think about their potential for success over the next 10 years. He argues it should match what coaches generally think about when considering whether to jump to another job. The exact ranking isn't important... It's more about the range where a program ranks.

Uses data going back to 1997, so we aren't ranked all that terribly... #57.

Here's the ACC:
Duke #1
UNC #4
Louisville #8
Syracuse #15
Virginia #17
FSU #27
Notre Dame #29
Miami #31
Pitt #35
NCSU #38
Clemson #50
Wake Forest #57
VT #63
GT #65
BC #78

Here were the top ten openings last cycle:
Cincinnati (20th)
UCLA (29th) - Hired Cronin from #20
Alabama (47th) - Hired Oats from #120
Vanderbilt (48th)
Arkansas (49th) - Hired Musselman from #90
BYU (56th)
Texas A&M (57th) - Hired Williams from #64
Temple (61st)
Virginia Tech (64th) - Hired Young from #181
California (69th)

All but 2 coaches who moved from one D1 program to another took a step up in the rankings... The exceptions were Cronin going from Cincy to UCLA and Ron Hunter going from Georgia State (#158) to Tulane (#176). The caveat for Hunter is that he went to a better conference.

Other hires:
TJ Otzelberger - From #138 SD State to #84 UNLV
Kyle Smith - From #126 SF to #97 Wazzu
Jamion Christian - From #184 Siena to #102 GW
Jeff Boals - From #227 Stony Brook to #122 Ohio

What is my point? I don't know that I have one, other than to say that most of the time, coaches move up these rankings (not down). So it's not likely that we'll grab Rick Barnes from Tennessee (#37) or Wojo from Marquette (#33). But other candidates?

Steve Forbes - ETSU (#176)
Wes Miller - UNCG (#228)
Pat Kelsey - Winthrop (#199)
John Becker - Vermont (#141)
Mike Rhoades - VCU (#73)

These are all guys that should/would take the Wake job in a heartbeat.

Last edited:
Back