• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Danny Manning replacement search thread

Mid-major coaches scouting schedule tonight:

Ryan Odom vs. LSU - 7pm on SEC Network
John Becker vs. Virginia - 7pm on Fox Sports Southeast
Steve Forbes vs. Kansas - 8pm on ESPN+

Just in case anyone wants to watch some potential names vs big time schools.

Mid-major coaches scouting schedule tonight:

Ryan Odom vs. LSU - 7pm on SEC Network
John Becker vs. Virginia - 7pm on Fox Sports Southeast
Steve Forbes vs. Kansas - 8pm on ESPN+

Just in case anyone wants to watch some potential names vs big time schools.

If I had to pick today, John Becker would be my choice. His teams have looked well coached and have played very well against some big name teams.

If I had to pick today, John Becker would be my choice. His teams have looked well coached and have played very well against some big name teams.

Becker's worst conference finish at UVM is 3rd place and he only lost by 6 last night in C'ville without his starting point guard.

Hopefully he makes the short list.

If we can't get John Becker, maybe we can get Ted Danson. He did play John Becker for years.

Just wondering if people would rather fire Manning at the end of the season and get the best coach available or go 2 more years of Manning if it meant getting a top tier coach (whoever that might be)?

Just wondering if people would rather fire Manning at the end of the season and get the best coach available or go 2 more years of Manning if it meant getting a top tier coach (whoever that might be)?

I prefer to fire Manning now and get the best possible coach. And if, in two years, it's obvious he's not working out, we fire him and hire the best possible coach then. Rinse, repeat until we find someone great. It's an absurd game to play because there's zero to suggest we can hire a better coach two years from now than we can today. We've wasted 10 years, screwed over countless student athletes, and lost a huge amount of current and future donors/fans. Time to put an end to that.

Fire Manning ASAP, roll with an interim coach, then clean house at end of the year and have a full on search.

Interim HC Childress is a nightmare scenario.

Agreed. Should be Walters or Nestor, if he'd take it. Even if Walter's "succeeds", there's no emotional attachment. Nestor obviously isn't looking for anything long term.

WF is not going to fire Danny Manning during the season. Waste of time to discuss it as a possibility.

The question is whether WF will make a move after the season. Think it will finally happen in March, but until it does, impossible to be confident as the University has allowed the basketball program to fall in to the abyss. Also, for all of the anger directed towards Wellman (deserved) and Currie (too early), amazing how Nathan Hatch largely skates; Hatch likes Danny and that is as big a reason that Manning remains as WF HC as any. Realize that Hatch relies on his AD's advice, but Danny Manning is either the #1 or #2 highest paid (and highest profile) WF representative, above Wellman when he was AD and above Currie now. Ultimately the decision to fire or keep Manning will be Hatch's call, after consulting with others.

As far as the hypothetical I'd be fine keeping manning two years if it guaranteed a home run hire. I have been ignoring basketball for a decade now so it would be easy to continue that for two more years. A mediocre hire will not get me back at this point anyway.

In the real world go ahead and fire him today.

I have no idea. I'm just saying that turning down the UCLA basketball job strikes me as pretty rational behavior from a guy who clearly enjoys being BMOC and also appears to like living in relatively small towns without a 24/7 media circus.

I'll add with great fan support too.

WF is not going to fire Danny Manning during the season. Waste of time to discuss it as a possibility.

The question is whether WF will make a move after the season. Think it will finally happen in March, but until it does, impossible to be confident as the University has allowed the basketball program to fall in to the abyss. Also, for all of the anger directed towards Wellman (deserved) and Currie (too early), amazing how Nathan Hatch largely skates; Hatch likes Danny and that is as big a reason that Manning remains as WF HC as any. Realize that Hatch relies on his AD's advice, but Danny Manning is either the #1 or #2 highest paid (and highest profile) WF representative, above Wellman when he was AD and above Currie now. Ultimately the decision to fire or keep Manning will be Hatch's call, after consulting with others.

Aside for some of the blame game portions in your statement, this is exactly what I’ve been saying. Any talk of firing Danny Manning mid-season is pointless and futile. If he’s going to be out, we won’t know until March.

Back