• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Danny Manning replacement search thread

I would prefer to avoid the following scenario, which could easily happen.

Danny is fired within a month.
Randolph Childress, Senior Associate Head Coach named interim.

Team plays with greater intensity, better defense, has "success" by finishing better than expected, like 10th or 11th. Has a late season upset win over top team.

Clamor gets Randolph 5 year contract. And what happens in 2020 is what happens for the next five years.

Currie needs to have a clear path to hiring the best coach he can get next spring. "Successful" interim head coach Childress should not be in the way.

We need to live with the pain for the rest of the season. Pick your painkiller. Four months to go.

I think Walters was specifically brought in this year to be an interim coach if Manning goes down mid-season. I don't think our AD wants the stink of the losing the rest of this season to fall on Childress as an HC. His reputation as a Deacon legend has survived thus far despite being on the bench for this entire awful run. Elevating him to interim coach would ruin that, either by all the losing this year or winning a little bit and then losing a bunch in the coming years.

I think Walters was specifically brought in this year to be an interim coach if Manning goes down mid-season. I don't think our AD wants the stink of the losing the rest of this season to fall on Childress as an HC. His reputation as a Deacon legend has survived thus far despite being on the bench for this entire awful run. Elevating him to interim coach would ruin that, either by all the losing this year or winning a little bit and then losing a bunch in the coming years.

I hope you are correct. I prefer to remove any doubt by leaving Danny in place until spring and just think of him as "interim."

I would prefer to avoid the following scenario, which could easily happen.

Danny is fired within a month.
Randolph Childress, Senior Associate Head Coach named interim.

Team plays with greater intensity, better defense, has "success" by finishing better than expected, like 10th or 11th. Has a late season upset win over top team.

Clamor gets Randolph 5 year contract. And what happens in 2020 is what happens for the next five years.

Currie needs to have a clear path to hiring the best coach he can get next spring. "Successful" interim head coach Childress should not be in the way.

We need to live with the pain for the rest of the season. Pick your painkiller. Four months to go.

I'd rather live with the pain we know. Naming Childress an interim coach sets up a complete mess for the next person that is hired.

It seems like the boards police are saying it's silly to speculate on Manning being fired mid-season, but since the point of internet message boards is to discuss whatever the hell we feel like, here goes:

We ride Danny out until late December. Then Dave fucking Clawson is named interim head coach to get us through the end of the season. I guarantee we'd win 2-3 ACC games we otherwise wouldn't. Plus he could drag the entire football roster and coaches to all home games and boost attendance. It's win win!

There's an easy solution: don't name Childress the interim. Walters or Nestor will be just fine. Childress is still the least experienced coach on our bench. Why would he be the interim?

I hope you are correct. I prefer to remove any doubt by leaving Danny in place until spring and just think of him as "interim."

Bad logic. First of all, as long as Danny is here, even the slightest success could keep him here.

The longer this putrid coaching continues, the more that stench infects the program.
Players get worse and expect to lose.
Recruits see a walking disaster and Wake further cements the reputation as a loser.
The culture of losing becomes more ingrained and more present and future money is lost.

There is never good logic to allowing a serious problem to ferment. If you see a problem, fix it or fail.

Walters is the best coach on that bench. I can't believe that he moved his family here with no other prospect than to coach 1 year on a sinking ship. There must be more to it than that.

Walters is the best coach on that bench. I can't believe that he moved his family here with no other prospect than to coach 1 year on a sinking ship. There must be more to it than that.

He didn't have a job. He was supposed to be Musselman's special assistant at Nevada, and then Musselman took the Arkansas job. Danny being the benevolent Jayhawk said come on down buddy, we are already overpaying my son for doing nothing, there's room to add you somewhere.

Rex Walters seems like a solid assistant coach hire, but let's not make him out to be John Wooden. He's been a college head coach for 10 seasons and is 157-158 at FAU and U of San Francisco. Walters' best season resulted in a first round NIT loss. The coach that succeeded Walters after San Francisco fired him, Kyle Smith, immediately, improved them: three 20 win seasons 64-40 record. Smith is now the coach of Washington State.

I'm not saying this as any defense of Danny Manning, but Manning has accomplished more as a head basketball coach than Walters.

Last edited:
Rex Walters seems like a solid assistant coach hire, but let's not make him out to be John Wooden. He's been a college head coach for 10 seasons and is 157-158 at FAU and U of San Francisco. Walters' best season resulted in a first round NIT loss. The coach that succeeded Walters after San Francisco fired him, Kyle Smith, immediately, improved them: three 20 win seasons 64-40 record. Smith is now the coach of Washington State.

I'm not saying this as any defense of Danny Manning, but Manning has accomplished more as a head basketball coach than Walters.
At Tulsa?

Nobody is making him out to be anything more than an interim placeholder with no emotional baggage as a Deacon (like Randolph) to be dismissed at the end of the season when a real coaching search happens.

Even with that record, Walters may still be the best coach on that bench.

I'd rather live with the pain we know. Naming Childress an interim coach sets up a complete mess for the next person that is hired.

It seems like the boards police are saying it's silly to speculate on Manning being fired mid-season, but since the point of internet message boards is to discuss whatever the hell we feel like, here goes:

We ride Danny out until late December. Then Dave fucking Clawson is named interim head coach to get us through the end of the season. I guarantee we'd win 2-3 ACC games we otherwise wouldn't. Plus he could drag the entire football roster and coaches to all home games and boost attendance. It's win win!

We won't make Childress the interim HC because that will make it super awkward when we try to force the next coach into hiring Childress as an assistant.

Don't forget that Brandon graduates this season, which could be a factor that increases the likelihood that Childress is not on WF's bench next season (assuming Manning is gone).

I'm also of the opinion that it is a moot point anyways as Childress was brought on as a PR move/trying to help him out when both Bzz and Manning had an open spot, or were willing to take an inexperienced coach in Childress as an assistant if they got the job. Fully expect a new coach to have full autonomy to form their own staff.

Last edited:
Even the truest of true believers are coming around to reality. That dude has been going to games the whole time, and finally, after the Charlotte game, he realized that he "cannot see any way this group can improve enough to compete in the ACC this year, or any year with the current staff in place."

I tried to warn that guy and told him to save his money by not buying season tickets. He didn't listen.

I wonder where we'd be if Dino had never been fired. How many more wins would we have? How many more NCAA Tourney appearances?

I still pretty firmly stand behind my "Firing a 61-31 head coach was stupid" position, even with the lack of postseason success and other stuff people cited for wanting him gone

Yeah, Bzde|ik was a mistake (we should have gotten a better coach at such a prime time in our history) but the mistake that caused that mistake was firing Dino. It amazes me that so many of the people who are totally disgusted with Wake hoops and "done" with being a fan or supporting the program won't admit we'd be way better off with Dino at the helm. And yes, I agree he's a better assistant than a HC, but the Wake Forest assistant coaches would be better if we still had Dino here.

I wonder where we'd be if Dino had never been fired. How many more wins would we have? How many more NCAA Tourney appearances?

I still pretty firmly stand behind my "Firing a 61-31 head coach was stupid" position, even with the lack of postseason success and other stuff people cited for wanting him gone

Yeah, Bzde|ik was a mistake (we should have gotten a better coach at such a prime time in our history) but the mistake that caused that mistake was firing Dino. It amazes me that so many of the people who are totally disgusted with Wake hoops and "done" with being a fan or supporting the program won't admit we'd be way better off with Dino at the helm. And yes, I agree he's a better assistant than a HC, but the Wake Forest assistant coaches would be better if we still had Dino here.

I think most people admit we'd be better off with Dino and also admit that Dino should have gotten one more year or he should have only been given the interim tag. Wellman fucked up everything!

If Dino was retained as head coach, he'd likely have been fired the next season anyways since the 2010-11 team was likely to struggle even without a coaching change. So maybe waiting a year would have provided better optics (not firing a NCAA coach off a 20-11 season) and in turn provided WF with a better pool of coaches to choose from but ultimately we could easily be in the exact same position now anyways since it seems like Bzz was the apple of Wellman's eye from the beginning.

Back