• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Danny Manning replacement search thread

We can't go through another year of this misery. He realistically should have been fired 2/3 years ago. I know there isn't much we can do and it's probably purely a financial decision at this point, but we need to do something as a fan base. Empty the seats even more, bring fire manning signs, pester Currie with messages, start a fire manning chant, etc. This might not do anything at all, but doesn't hurt.

I think Wake will finish 15-15 and get one in the ACCT to get to 16-16 and get a berth in the NIT. That is more than enough to give Danny another year. At this point termination would be wrong.

You haven’t been following the NIT much if you think a 16-16 ACC team gets in.

In a normal year, you'd be right, but this year almost anything can happen from a P6 conference. I can't remember a worse year for overall talent in college basketball.

with bigboy and Brangus on the same side, the brain power is just overwhelming. How could they be wrong?

NIT has become the tournament for midmajor teams with gaudy records who don't get into the NCAA tournament. I.e. conference regular season champs who have 25-5 type records but lose in their conference tournament.

We can't go through another year of this misery. He realistically should have been fired 2/3 years ago. I know there isn't much we can do and it's probably purely a financial decision at this point, but we need to do something as a fan base. Empty the seats even more, bring fire manning signs, pester Currie with messages, start a fire manning chant, etc. This might not do anything at all, but doesn't hurt.

Or we could just start a fire.

In a normal year, you'd be right, but this year almost anything can happen from a P6 conference. I can't remember a worse year for overall talent in college basketball.

This year is trash, but after the auto bids, we are talking like 20 teams. Syracuse, Notre Dame, NC St, & Uva are likely NIT teams. Wake Forest isn’t on the CBI bubble.

This year is trash, but after the auto bids, we are talking like 20 teams. Syracuse, Notre Dame, NC St, & Uva are likely NIT teams. Wake Forest isn’t on the CBI bubble.

As bad as they are, UVA and at least one of the others are likely to get NCAAT bids.

I think Wake will finish 15-15 and get one in the ACCT to get to 16-16 and get a berth in the NIT. That is more than enough to give Danny another year. At this point termination would be wrong.

Based on what, exactly? Demonstrated recruiting success? Dynamic personality leading to great relationships with the public, the press, the students? Player development? Excitement around the program? Coherent and effective game planning? In-game coaching/strategy/adjustments?

Having watched the program under manning for the last 6 years, would you hire him today? Because every year you retain him is like making the decision to hire him again. He's not the answer, not even close. Cut ties, hold your nose and pay the buyout, and move on.

If you think about the last 10 years of bad results — between loss of NCAA money, PR, increased applications, ticket sales, merchandise sales, donations, TV negotiating(?) — how many millions of revenue has been lost? Here is a guess:

The bottom of the top-25 schools make about $14m/year in revenue. Before the Bz era, for 15 years, we were roughly a top-25 program. I could find somewhat recent numbers that had us about $7.5M/year in the Bz era.

We are losing in the neighborhood of $7M/year in revenue, compared to our historical peers, by having a bad program in an era of massive exposure for college sports. That is discounting some of the factors mentioned above. Possibly ~70M lost in a decade.

George Mason U beat VCU yesterday. Does that take some of the bloom off the Mike Rhoades rose?

If you think about the last 10 years of bad results — between loss of NCAA money, PR, increased applications, ticket sales, merchandise sales, donations, TV negotiating(?) — how many millions of revenue has been lost? Here is a guess:

The bottom of the top-25 schools make about $14m/year in revenue. Before the Bz era, for 15 years, we were roughly a top-25 program. I could find somewhat recent numbers that had us about $7.5M/year in the Bz era.

We are losing in the neighborhood of $7M/year in revenue, compared to our historical peers, by having a bad program in an era of massive exposure for college sports. That is discounting some of the factors mentioned above. Possibly ~70M lost in a decade.

Not to mention the lost future deacon club donations and ticket sales from a decade of Wake alums who don’t give a shit about basketball.

Don't forget wake has lost countless fans over the last 10 years that would have been donating and involved. Instead people have stopped watch, stopped spending, and stopped donating. You don't get those years back. Next year is a chance to try and start over.

One of my favorite things about this board is how PhDeac will fight tooth and nail when anyone posts something that he even partially disagrees with, even if it is just a nuanced difference of opinion or perhaps something with some decent logic behind it.

But if it fits his narrative? It must be true. No matter the source.

I'm not saying Manning is or is not going to be fired, but I don't think bigboy and Icker are my trusted sources for big donor / athletic department information.

My asshole, admittedly, will pucker up tighter and tighter as we approach the end of the season and have no clarity... But anything short of a statement from Currie between now and the end of the ACC tournament is pure speculation.

One of your favorite things about this board is that one guy who argues with people who disagree with him and doesn't argue with people who do. That one guy.

And your last sentence that we won't know if something will happen until it happens? Wow. Sage wisdom, bro.

I have no idea if bigboy and Icker are the best sources. I haven't made any predictions. I just summed up what they were saying. Based on that narrative, wins and losses only matter with respect to Currie's spin. So keep that in mind when looking at the records.

I've pretty much checked out of the season. I'll watch if I'm around. If I'm not, I won't.

Yeah with the super hot take that big donors like the way we have been playing the last 10 games.
3 wins at home vs teams w/losing ACC records
7 losses
Manning is a dead man walking.

That's what everyone thought at the end of last season...

Even with a coaching change in basketball, I'm not quite sure the athletic department (or university) will ever be able to overcome the lost donations over the years withheld by board members like PhDeac, RacerDeac and bigboy8.

That's what everyone thought at the end of last season...

I don't know how many people thought Wellman was going to can him. Everyone last year that he should be a dead man walking...don't recall people thinking he would be though.

The long term financials all point favorably to the need for a coaching change sooner rather than later. The unanswerable question at this time is short term cash flow. If his contract is "fully guaranteed," is there some sort of "lump sum due upon termination" provision that makes firing him more financially challenging? I don't know. We know so little about his contract. What little we have hints about seems unusual. This kind of a provision would be unusual, but I can't say something like this doesn't exist.

If Danny's contract is simply fully guaranteed, and the obligation is monthly checks until the end of the 2024-2025 basketball season (call it April 30), then the actual cash flow need is simply the money, presumably around $2-3 million per year, to pay someone to coach Wake Men's basketball while Danny Manning is paid to not coach Wake basketball. Some of that is there, considering Wake just finished paying nearly a year of salary to an assistant basketball coach to not coach.

Salaries for a new assistant coaching staff should be pretty close to what Wake is currently paying assistants, so that should be a wash in the budget.

Here's a glass of red ruddy rhenish to a line in the Wake athletic department budget labelled "Head Men's Basketball Coach not named Danny Manning"

Back