• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Danny Manning replacement search thread

You continue this ridicule of posters. The number of long time alumni and fans that no longer support Wake and may never again support Wake is a much bigger concern than keeping the big donors happy.

You can keep shitting on the average fans but you are discounting a vast amount of money when all is added up.

It's so weird to brag about how much money you spend on something you're supposedly unhappy with. It's like someone driving around in a busted up car with the sticker price on the window.

It's so weird to brag about how much money you spend on something you're supposedly unhappy with. It's like someone driving around in a busted up car with the sticker price on the window.

But it was a 1996 Mercedes S500. A nice car back in the day. It may not look like much to anyone on the road now, but some people love their old estate car.

I think the difference from a year ago is Currie. He was prematurely announced as the retirement news had leaked. I’m hoping I’m right in the fact that he came in accepting Wellman’s decision to retain DM for one year. The timing of Currie’s first day was not going to be when you fire the bball coach. This offseason is his true first opportunity to evaluate his coach and then show him the door.

Yes. I agree completely. It was too hectic with Wellman’s “retirement” and Currie stepping in to make a coaching change at that point. Currie needed time to stamp his name on the program and AD and get to know all the big donors and get back into Wake Forest mode after being an alumni and having some other jobs. And I’ve said it before, and I don’t necessarily agree with it, but I believe the Childress thing is a big reason why DM was retained for one more year. Imagine trying to do the 25 year anniversary of our ACC Tournament win with Odom and bringing Randolph back with other players after he was just fired along with DM. And Brandon might have transferred too if that had played out and would have been some bad PR. Not that we haven’t had our share of bad PR the last 10 years. But just stating my opinion even though I hate to think that was part of the reason.

Instead we are doing it during another under .500 season with no hope and Childress is (hopefully) about to get fired.

So you guys are saying I shouldn't expect us to fire Manning (and Childress) on Senior Night?

Might be time to take another look at Greg McDermott. He has Creighton playing winning basketball long after his son, "Dougy McBuckets" graduated.

He is 55. His graduate degree (M.S.S.) is from United States Sports Academy. Anyone heard of it?

We will end up with a completely unexpected choice no one has ever heard of. Or Manning.

I can agree that Currie could surprise with an unexpected choice. That would be somebody who never hit the radar screen of this message board.

I don't think it will be somebody we on here never heard of before. It could be more of a "didn't expect him to be the choice" reaction.

Unfortunately, as long as Danny Manning is contracted to be the coach, odds are still in his favor to be the coach.

At KSU and TN, he never went for an "unexpected choice". He only went after name coaches for his flagship programs.

We’ve been discussing potential candidates for 2-3 years. We may end up being somewhat surprised, but I don’t think it’ll come completely out of left field.

I think the only way it comes out of left field is if there is a home run coach whom no one thinks is available. Currie knows this hire is his entire job. He can't take too much of a chance. If it fails, Currie could be gone with the coach.

I think the only way it comes out of left field is if there is a home run coach whom no one thinks is available. Currie knows this hire is his entire job. He can't take too much of a chance. If it fails, Currie could be gone with the coach.

I actually really like Currie and would love for him to make a great hire for basketball. The things he’s done in regards to gameday experience for football have been great. The bowl game he made a priority to get the bid turned out to be wonderful. He appears to have more of a fans perspective rather than being just a suit like Ronny. Everything he’s done done so far has been positive and I can’t blame him for any of the basketball problems. That being said, if he doesn’t dropkick Danny back to Kansas after the season, it will ruin everything he’s done and is planning to do in the future. I believe he will make the correct decision come March.

I actually really like Currie and would love for him to make a great hire for basketball. The things he’s done in regards to gameday experience for football have been great. The bowl game he made a priority to get the bid turned out to be wonderful. He appears to have more of a fans perspective rather than being just a suit like Ronny. Everything he’s done done so far has been positive and I can’t blame him for any of the basketball problems. That being said, if he doesn’t dropkick Danny back to Kansas after the season, it will ruin everything he’s done and is planning to do in the future. I believe he will make the correct decision come March.
This is where I am at as well.

This is where I am at as well.

Yes. I agree wholeheartedly. I was a student at Wake with Currie during some of our best basketball years ever, now as an alum his blood runs black and gold and he is a fan as much as any of us. Not a suit like Wellman. He wants us to be successful and build back our flagship program to where it needs to be. I am 100% confident he will make the correct decision at the end of this season.

Know John kept his basketball tickets for many years after he left Wake. They were great seats during some great years. He loves Wake hoops.

Currie is a VERY smart man, young and hungry to get things turned around for basketball. I dont think he would settle for Shaka. When the coaching change is made i believe Currie is gonna go for a home run hire.

Currie is a VERY smart man, young and hungry to get things turned around for basketball. I dont think he would settle for Shaka. When the coaching change is made i believe Currie is gonna go for a home run hire.

Who would be a home run hire?

Back