• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Danny Manning replacement search thread

That's what everyone thought at the end of last season...

Revisionist history.

Many believed Manning was gone but at least one poster with a great track record stated he would be back almost a year ago today (2/14/19):

Might as well pull for the kids to win guys, Manning will be back next year, shouldn't be, but WILL be. (barring some off the court issues which is not Manning's style).

One of your favorite things about this board is that one guy who argues with people who disagree with him and doesn't argue with people who do. That one guy.

And your last sentence that we won't know if something will happen until it happens? Wow. Sage wisdom, bro.

I have no idea if bigboy and Icker are the best sources. I haven't made any predictions. I just summed up what they were saying. Based on that narrative, wins and losses only matter with respect to Currie's spin. So keep that in mind when looking at the records.

I've pretty much checked out of the season. I'll watch if I'm around. If I'm not, I won't.

Yeah, I think it is funny that you like to debate the minutiae of pretty much any topic... But when someone says something that fits your line of thinking, your bullshit detector goes out the window. And because you post so much, it is visible, and therefore one of my favorite things around here.

I wasn't trying to deal in sage wisdom with the last comment... My point is that nobody around here knows anything. And that seems to be even more true now than it was years (or decades) ago. My concern, however, is that I was pretty sure Manning would get fired last year and he wasn't. There was no logic to that decision then (even though we've tried in vain to explain the rationale in the months since)... That gives me no comfort about the end of this season. I'm pretty sure he should get fired and I think Currie will make the right decision, but as the end of the season approaches I realize I have zero confidence it will actually happen.

Agree with what you are saying about the spin... If Currie wants to keep him around another year, the story will be a lot easier to present at 15-16 vs 11-20 (again). But we'll all know it is a shit sandwich, regardless of what the won/loss turns out to be.

Also agree w/ checking out... I watched the 2nd half of the UNC game the other night because I saw the halftime score on the way home from the airport and figured I might as well watch us try to not blow a huge lead. I think I've watched less than 50% of the games this year... Had been ~90%+ every year prior.

Revisionist history.

Many believed Manning was gone but at least one poster with a great track record stated he would be back almost a year ago today (2/14/19):

Incorrect. Several people connected to the AD thought he was gone. It was a surprise to many not named Mit or Ben when he was retained. But it really doesn't matter. None of us know what Currie will do. I think Currie knows firing DMan is in the best interest of the program. Duh...But do Mit and Ben want him fired? How will the buyout be funded? Too late to take it from Ronnie's retirement funds...

Edit - sorry if I need to adjust my sarcasm meter based on the sportsnut citation...

Last edited:
My memory could be cloudy, but I'm pretty sure the vast majority of posters thought Manning would be fired at the end of last year... I know I was definitely surprised (and angry).

My memory could be cloudy, but I'm pretty sure the vast majority of posters thought Manning would be fired at the end of last year... I know I was definitely surprised (and angry).

I think last year was a lot of "should" get fired. This year is more "will" get fired.

Some things are different in 2020 from what they were in 2019. Some things are the same. Let us hope that those circumstances that are different are enough to have a different announcement in the next two months.

with bigboy and Brangus on the same side, the brain power is just overwhelming. How could they be wrong?

On the other hand, you had this posted on 3/19/19:

There were similar rumblings from other posters, including a date and time when the firing was supposed to occur. I was definitely surprised by the retention. I tracked the news here: https://www.ogboards.com/forums/showthread.php/31199-Coaching-search-digest-thread-pre-firing-stage

Unfortunately Wellman doubled down on Manning as he was headed out the door.

In terms of timing... Might as well dig out this old post again:

Other "recent" ACC changes:

2019:
Virginia Tech - Williams takes A&M job 4/3; Young hired 4/7

2018:
Pittsburgh - Stallings fired 3/8; Capel hired 3/27
Louisville - Announces Padgett won't return on 3/21; Mack hired 3/27

2017:
NCSU - Gottfried fired 2/18 (finished season); Keatts hired 3/17

2016:
Georgia Tech - Gregory fired 3/25; Pastner hired 4/8

2015: NONE

2014:
Wake Forest - Bz fired 3/20; Manning hired 4/4
Virginia Tech - Johnson fired 3/17; Williams hired 3/21
Boston College - Donahue fired 3/18; Christian hired 4/3

Last edited:
I always forget that Gottfried was fired but still finished out the season.

Why couldn't we just do that w/ Manning?

I always forget that Gottfried was fired but still finished out the season.

Why couldn't we just do that w/ Manning?

IMHO, that is the worst way to fire a coach. Either he is coaching or he is gone. Not fired but still coaching. Once you tell him he us gone, give him a reasonable amount of time (like half a day) to clean out his desk and say goodbye, then he becomes no longer welcome.

IMHO, that is the worst way to fire a coach. Either he is coaching or he is gone. Not fired but still coaching. Once you tell him he us gone, give him a reasonable amount of time (like half a day) to clean out his desk and say goodbye, then he becomes no longer welcome.

Not my preferred method, either... BUT:

* NCSU seems to have been able to make a good hire (though Keatts "success" is not much different from what Gottfried did prior to his last two seasons).
* It's better than not firing a person at all.

I think the difference from a year ago is Currie. He was prematurely announced as the retirement news had leaked. I’m hoping I’m right in the fact that he came in accepting Wellman’s decision to retain DM for one year. The timing of Currie’s first day was not going to be when you fire the bball coach. This offseason is his true first opportunity to evaluate his coach and then show him the door.

NIT has become the tournament for midmajor teams with gaudy records who don't get into the NCAA tournament. I.e. conference regular season champs who have 25-5 type records but lose in their conference tournament.

Part of that is that regular season conference champs are guaranteed an NIT spot if they don’t make the NCAAs

Shows how sad and beat up our fanbase is when people think with a couple more wins we’ve shown improvement where someone would objectively believe our performance is acceptable.

Last year i was told he would be fired, everyone except a few big wigs were shocked. Like i have said before the buyout money was and still is available. Currie is much smarter and has more connections than Wellman had. We will all find out in about a month.

Even with a coaching change in basketball, I'm not quite sure the athletic department (or university) will ever be able to overcome the lost donations over the years withheld by board members like PhDeac, RacerDeac and bigboy8.

You continue this ridicule of posters. The number of long time alumni and fans that no longer support Wake and may never again support Wake is a much bigger concern than keeping the big donors happy.

You can keep shitting on the average fans but you are discounting a vast amount of money when all is added up.

Unfortunately alot of the big donors like the direction we are trending. They think Manning is coaching alot better the last 10 games or so. Last night they felt a big step was taken forward for the future.

Last year i was told he would be fired, everyone except a few big wigs were shocked. Like i have said before the buyout money was and still is available. Currie is much smarter and has more connections than Wellman had. We will all find out in about a month.

So last year you had intel from people lower down than the big donors that he would be fired, and that turned out to be wrong. This year you seem confident that you know what the big donors are thinking, which is to not fire Manning.

Do you somehow have new sources that are closer to the big donors? Or are you just assuming your sources that were wrong last time are correct this time?

Better to tell Manning he will not return next season. No chance of saving his job with some wins over the lower end of the ACC standings. Then Currie can begin his coaching search.

Back