• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Danny Manning replacement search thread

He has more coaching experience than Wes had. We can't afford someone that overqualified.

The Wake coaching job shouldn’t be about who owes what to who. It should be only about who will help us win. That was Miller 10 years ago. It’s Miller now.

I said it 10 years ago. I was scoffed at. Now he wins and I’m still scoffed at. Fine by me. Can we start winning now?

You’re a fucking idiot if you believe a 2nd year assistant at High Point should have been hired 10 years ago.

I agree he should be the total fallback candidate today. Basically the absolutely floor if a bunch of others turn us down.

But you’re showing yourself to be a complete clown show by continuing to insist we should have hired him after Dino was let go.

You’re a fucking idiot if you believe a 2nd year assistant at High Point should have been hired 10 years ago.

I agree he should be the total fallback candidate today. Basically the absolutely floor if a bunch of others turn us down.

But you’re showing yourself to be a complete clown show by continuing to insist we should have hired him after Dino was let go.

That would have been the most insane, crazy coaching hire in the history of college basketball. The world would have made a collective WTF?.

Yet what Wake actually did was a million times worse.

Since Wellman does not fire quickly, Wes might have grown into the job and have Wake rolling. Still would have been insane.

While the last decade might scare some potential coaches, Wake is in a great position in other significant ways. The ACC is going to look very different when the 2024 election cycle comes around. It could well be that UNC, Dook, Syracuse, Miami, FSU will all have new coaches. If we get the right young, aggressive, personable, intelligent, savvy up-and-comer, he and we could be set for a generation. While you couldn't turn down a Beilein or a Matta if they really wanted to come here and initiate a rebuild, I'm believing that a Wes Miller-type hire could be our ticket.

My main hope is that Currie has the $$$ to get us out of our Groundhog Day nightmare and the $$$ to give a new coach what he needs for himself and a decent staff.

You realize you lack credibility when it comes to Miller, correct? Particularly after you’ve repeatedly said Wake made a mistake not hiring him 10 years ago, which may be one of the dumbest positions I’ve seen in the history of this board (and all its and predecessors).

But would hiring Miller 10 years ago be dumber than the initial hire of Bzz? That's gotta go down as the worst, most confusing P5 hire I can think of. So all things relative, dross would've position is less dumb than RW's actual hire.

I said it 10 years ago. I was scoffed at. Now he wins and I’m still scoffed at. Fine by me. Can we start winning now?

No. You said this 6 years ago.

You also rocked a major boner for John Pelphrey and wanted nothing to do with John Beilein during the early 2000s, so I have trouble trusting your judgement.

I said it 10 years ago. And 6 years ago. And today.

Haters can hate but they at least acknowledge it. Disagreement is allowed. That’s why we are WF and our alums stink. We can’t even unify around such an obvious choice.

Just not obvious to the majority of the fan base.

That’s exactly right. And the majority of a schools alums really can determine its future. That’s really at the end of the day why Wake has been so bad for so long. We are indeed a reflection of our alums. Our alums have not prioritized basketball. The Joel is “acceptable” as an alternative to our own investment. Allowing a Bowling Green grad to run our department like his own fiefdom for 30 years: “acceptable”.

Your post is dead on. Our alums are not rallying around Miller. Decades more of futility will ensure. And we are the culpable ones.

I think Miller will have a fine coaching career, but he's not the be-all, end-all and I'm indifferent to whether Wake hires him (no, that is not the same thing as being indifferent to the success of Wake sports, so don't go there, donaldross). There are some great arguments in favor of hiring Miller and some great arguments in opposition. At the end of the day, given where we are, I'd rather hire somebody with no ties whatsoever to the program.

That’s exactly right. And the majority of a schools alums really can determine its future. That’s really at the end of the day why Wake has been so bad for so long. We are indeed a reflection of our alums. Our alums have not prioritized basketball. The Joel is “acceptable” as an alternative to our own investment. Allowing a Bowling Green grad to run our department like his own fiefdom for 30 years: “acceptable”.

Your post is dead on. Our alums are not rallying around Miller. Decades more of futility will ensure. And we are the culpable ones.

Alums aren’t rallying around Miller because there are a solid 7+ candidates that are better than him. You have a weird obsession with him.

Miller is a “has been”!! Allan Payne is the next Wes Miller! Get him now or we will for ever regret it!

donaldross...

The difference between Forbes and Miller is in their resume, not their results over the past four years. Forbes has 15 years as an assistant at the D1 level. Nine of those years he learned from Billy Gillespie, Bruce Pearl and Greg Marshall directing successful NCAA tournament teams. He has experienced three Sweet Sixteens, an Elite Eight and three 30+ win teams. He is considered a top D1 recruiter. Miller has no such experience. He has learned from the school of hard knocks. That's the difference.

Currie spent four years with Forbes at Tennessee. When he is making the biggest decision of his career, Currie might prefer someone he knows well to take a risk.

Would Wes understand Wake academics? After all, he was at u*NC when secretary run and graded "classes" were readily available to basketball players. UNCG is unlikely to make US News and World Report top 100 very soon.

donaldross...

The difference between Forbes and Miller is in their resume, not their results over the past four years. Forbes has 15 years as an assistant at the D1 level. Nine of those years he learned from Billy Gillespie, Bruce Pearl and Greg Marshall directing successful NCAA tournament teams. He has experienced three Sweet Sixteens, an Elite Eight and three 30+ win teams. He is considered a top D1 recruiter. Miller has no such experience. He has learned from the school of hard knocks. That's the difference.

Currie spent four years with Forbes at Tennessee. When he is making the biggest decision of his career, Currie might prefer someone he knows well to take a risk.
This is where I am at with Forbes & Miller. I'm okay with Forbes being among the first wave of options but I lean towards Miller as a good floor that I'm fine with after other options are exhausted first.

But would hiring Miller 10 years ago be dumber than the initial hire of Bzz? That's gotta go down as the worst, most confusing P5 hire I can think of. So all things relative, dross would've position is less dumb than RW's actual hire.

Yes it would have been significantly dumber to have hired Miller ten years ago. [name redacted] turned out to be a disaster but at that time he had achieved at least a modicum of success as a college HC. You’re comparing a hire that actually happened with one that didn’t using the benefit of hindsight. Hiring a guy with two years as an assistant at High Point college would have a horrible decision at the time.

If we don't hire Miller he'll go back to Chapel Hill and continue the dynasty.

donaldross...

I would love to see us hire Forbes, but seeing those three guys in one sentence that he worked for, I question whether Wake will hire someone who clearly is “on the edge “ from a recruiting standpoint. However I think we need that type of person to get a quicker turnaround. There’s no coincidence that Keatts just landed a top 5 or 10 class at State.

I would love to see us hire Forbes, but seeing those three guys in one sentence that he worked for, I question whether Wake will hire someone who clearly is “on the edge “ from a recruiting standpoint. However I think we need that type of person to get a quicker turnaround. There’s no coincidence that Keatts just landed a top 5 or 10 class at State.

What does "on the edge" mean?

Back