• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Dan's Latest Blog Post

Plus I like our class better than theirs for next year.

Another thing is we should play a lot faster next year if Devin plays well. The one problem with Bennett is playing slowly gives you far less margin of error.

Not exactly what I was trying to say if that's how it came out.

I think in terms of talent on the teams next season Wake would fall after:

UNC
Duke
FSU
UVA
NCSU
MD

And then Wake falls in the next group with Miami, GT, and probably maybe VT.

And then i'd have Clemson and BC.

So I guess top 6 was being a little generous at first glance but there should be no reason, at least if Bz IS a competent coach, that WF should be in the fight for spots 6-8 or so in the ACC.

And as I type this I get more depressed about WF basketball :rulz:

This is interesting,Iwould drop FSU and UVA to the second group and raise Miami to the top group. Otherwise, it looks reasonable to me. FSU returns Snaer,Miller and White and loses 6 seniors. A good coach could get Wake to 6th next season.Bz who knows? Now back to lurking.

This is interesting,Iwould drop FSU and UVA to the second group and raise Miami to the top group. Otherwise, it looks reasonable to me. FSU returns Snaer,Miller and White and loses 6 seniors. A good coach could get Wake to 6th next season.Bz who knows? Now back to lurking.

Think that's certainly a debatable point deaclite. I was tempted to put Miami in the first tier anyway due to Reggie and UVa in the tier with the deacs due to losing their bigs but I gave them the benefit of the doubt. So that's certainly a change that can be argued. I knew FSU lost Kreft and James but for some reason thought Gibson was a junior, so that does change how I think about the talent FSU has left. Losing the size that is a main reason for their great defense will be a big loss for them.

Last edited:
After the early outs,transfers and late recruiting it changes a bit anyways. Uva will be getting a solid freshman center in Tobey but that is all the size they have right now at least. Miami would start Larkin,Scott,Johnson,Adams or Brown,and Kadji. If no one defects that is a good starting group.

After the early outs,transfers and late recruiting it changes a bit anyways. Uva will be getting a solid freshman center in Tobey but that is all the size they have right now at least. Miami would start Larkin,Scott,Johnson,Adams or Brown,and Kadji. If no one defects that is a good starting group.

Yea it is, i've been surprised at how well Kadji is playing. i though he was washed up after back surgery at UF, and that certainly hasn't been the case. They will be tough with he and Johnson down low next season. Overlook on my part in hindsight.

According to Richmond Times-Dispatch, Sene is still on crutches and is at 50 percent weight bearing. He is still targeting a return by the ACCT, but Bennett has said it is "too early to speculate."

Yea it is, i've been surprised at how well Kadji is playing. i though he was washed up after back surgery at UF, and that certainly hasn't been the case. They will be tough with he and Johnson down low next season. Overlook on my part in hindsight.

It will be fun to track these fellow ACC teams going forward. Several teams can still improve their prospects since they have ships available.Kadji is a hoss,Miami got a good one.

fat-man-at-computer.jpg

B-u-z-z O-u-t-!

Recruiting is inextricably intertwined with coaching success. I'd like to hear your argument about how it's not.

If recruiting was as separate from success as you seem to be arguing, then we wouldn't be seeing so many below average stretches for "good" coaches. If Brad Stevens is such a coaching god, then why can't he win his league this year? Why do schools like Texas and Michigan State have good stretches and bad stretches with the same coach?

When was the bad stretch for Izzo? Makes the tournament every year, goes to the Final Four every few years, etc. I mean, you can label a couple of his teams as relative disappointments, but there really aren't any bad stretches in there, particularly from the perspective of a Wake Forest fan.

Every single 4 year player to play under Izzo at Michigan State has gone to a Final Four. Every last one. The man is a legend.

I feel like HS students judge "up-tempo" systems on how many dunks in transition they see in the limited minutes they watch a team. More often than not, this has more to do with a team's point guard than it does a coach's "system." I think every coach in the world would take transition points as much as they could, but it requires the right personnel.

Edit: did anyone think Frank Haith ran an "uptempo" offense at Miami? I don't know if they did or not, but I certainly don't remember them seeming "fast." Now that he has the Pressey brothers, they run up and down the floor.

Edit edit: kenpom actually doesn't have Missouri as that "fast" of a team. Apparently I am the HS kid.

i understand why we use pace to common-size stats, but unless you are on the outer extremes, pace isn't really all that detectable just watching the games. if you play "fast" you average close to 70 possessions while if you play "slow" you average around 65. i think you are right that players want a coach (and mostly PG) that will push the ball when it is available. they don't care that a team typically shoots with 10 on the shotclock vs. 15, hence your observation and perception of mizzou.

Every single 4 year player to play under Izzo at Michigan State has gone to a Final Four. Every last one. The man is a legend.

Incredible statistic.

Is that stat really true?? That's crazy if so. What a gift to be able to tell kids that when recruiting.

Back