• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Dan's Latest MTOW

Football had it's own dark shadows for many many years. People just opened their eyes because they had to close them during basketball season.

The public school ref was silly because anybody with a clue knows 20 wins won't get this team near the bubble.

Those of us who got to go to Nashville a couple years ago didn't really mind the depth of the shadows at that time.

It just got me how he dismissed the fans and then said "our program" in a way that sounded like the fans aren't part of the program.

Those of us who got to go to Nashville a couple years ago didn't really mind the depth of the shadows at that time.

Way too many people weren't bothered by the 1-4 finish to the regular season.

It just got me how he dismissed the fans and then said "our program" in a way that sounded like the fans aren't part of the program.
I didn't get that either. It just sounded...creepy. It almost felt like by "fan" he meant the sports viewer in general...as if he wants Oklahoma grads to like "our program". Maybe he's a bit defensive given the intense criticisms the past 3 years but it definitely came off like Wake fans have no stake or sense of ownership in the program. Doesn't really get me excited if that's the case.

It's strange to see an AD being so openly defiant toward the fans.

You get the same from any strong decision maker. Of course he "hears" the desires of the fan base but ultimately he has to demonstrate why he has the reputation he does -- certainly among his peers if not out here. He is compensated to make the decisions you so generously pay him for. You don't have to love an AD. You do want a strong AD with a vision and a drive to excel.

I can get down with that. Wellman doesn't have a vision and a drive to excel.

Wellman doesn't have a vision? That's crazy, of course he does and he wants to excel. He just has a bit too much LOWF attitude and gets way too dogmatic/puritanical about doing things the "right" way. I think things got personal with Dino as well which caused him to screw up the standards for that hire.

Dan's Latest MTOW pretty much sucked. Waste of a column really. Why not just write effusively about how great Claw Daddy was when he was feedin' us all that goodwill-laden charisma and charm? Why even bother with tying it to the Bzdebacle and just discuss how the "temperature" of the excited room was even greater than "aw shucks" Country Dan even anticipated?

This. Every reason in the world to think we were headed up - after a couple bad years - with an NFL caliber receiver, a sophomore QB setting records, plus Campanero killing it and Bud Noel holding down the secondary. A 3 point loss to a top 10 Clemson team to narrowly miss another ACC championship game, and in Nashvile we had 2:15 left with the ball, 7 points from a win. But Tanner choked, Givens left for the draft, we were decimated by injuries the next year, missed on a bunch of key recruits, and the rest is history. Grobe stepped aside under dwindling momentum and obvious coaching failures at the right time.

Getting upset about the "thinking about the fans" comment by Wellman is silly. No AD in the world would cop to taking the temperature of a rabid fan base as a valid input for a coaching hire. As soon as Wellman was off to hire someone the boards immediately started in with Dino/[Redacted] - fans inserted basketball into football from the start - it's impossible not to.

The freaking Clawson hire thread has [Redacted]'s name in it for 3 days.

Hiring Jeff [Redacted] is a sign of vision and excellence? The dismissal of the fans was absurd, in fact it's just another lie. Wellman felt the heat from the fans and understood that he needed to hire someone with a winning attitude. Clawson's statements about winning were in sharp contrast to Wellman's claptrap about "historical competitivness." What the fuck is an AD doing when he cares more about buildings than fielding winners?

Getting upset about the "thinking about the fans" comment by Wellman is silly. No AD in the world would cop to taking the temperature of a rabid fan base as a valid input for a coaching hire.
That's not what bothers people, it was the condescending attitude towards the fanbase in general. Replace "our"' with "the" and he could have gotten across the same point of not really letting the fanbase influence his decisions...without the poor attitude.

Every single thread has some sort of Bz slam in it.

That's not what bothers people, it was the condescending attitude towards the fanbase in general. Replace "our"' with "the" and he could have gotten across the same point of not really letting the fanbase influence his decisions...without the poor attitude.

Every single thread has some sort of Bz slam in it.

Why do you think that is?

The dark cloud wasn't April 7 when Dino was fired. It was April 14 when Bz was hired.

This. I'm a fan of Wake Forest Ron not "your program" self-aggrandizing posturing for your next job narcissist self.

Back