• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Dan's take on Wake

This comparison is really sobering. Bennett even has a reputation for being a lack luster recruiter and not going after top talent, but talent that fits his system, yet the independently assessed caliber of his recruits far exceeds our roster. Manning has a lot of work to do just to get the program back to a lackluster recruiting level by ACC standards. He is off to a good start in 2015 and 2016, I think.
But again, Bennett has recruited studs at every school he's coached at, as an assistant and as a head coach.

It seems hard for folks to grasp that he's an elite recruiter and coach who runs a less than sexy system, but it's the truth.

The reality is that UVA is a really talented basketball team that is really well coached.

Justin Anderson: 4-star (top-50 overall)
Evan Nolte: 4-star (top-75 overall)
Malcom Brogdon: 4-star (top-100 overall)
Mike Tobey: 4-star (top-100 overall)
BJ Stith: 4-star (top-100 overall) or 3-star (top-150 overall)
Anthony Gill: 4-star (top-100 overall) or 3-star (top-150 overall)
London Perrantes: 3-star (top-150 overall)
Devon Hall: 3-star (top-150)

I think it's fair to say that Atkins and Perrantes are the only two guys playing well above their projected ceiling, right now:

Perrantes is averaging 5.9 points (33%) and 4.4 assists.
Atkins is averaging 7.0 points and 6.1 rebounds.

Bennett is turning good players into great players. Rather than being fortunate, he is doing his job. And while y'all bitch about our team and about Manning, keep in mind that Bennett really wanted Mitchell Wilbekin.

We're used to coaches squandering talent; Tony Bennett does not seem to do that. Hopefully, Danny Manning will not do that either.

That a coach turns a top-50 or top-100 player into something special or useful (and we're talking about low first round to undrafted prospects here) really should not be surprising.

Our team looks like this:

CMM: 4-star (top-100)
Greg: 3-star (top-150)
Devin: 3-star (UR)
Aaron: 3-star (UR)
Mitchell: 3-star (UR)
Madison: 2/3-star (UR)
Andre: 2/3-star (UR)
Daniel: 2/3-star (UR)
Rondale: 2-star (UR)
Darius: UR
Crab: UR
Dinos: UR

But again, Bennett has recruited studs at every school he's coached at, as an assistant and as a head coach.

It seems hard for folks to grasp that he's an elite recruiter and coach who runs a less than sexy system, but it's the truth.

Oh I agree he's done a very good job with recruiting, but he also doesn't have Harry Giles on that team and therefore has a reputation for not being a stud recruiter. To me it just highlights just how far behind the 8 ball we've been since 2010...this guy who is supposedly not a great recruiter has far more talent than we do. The lowest ranked player on Bennett's list you provided would be the second or third best rated player on Wake's.

While all this talk of Bennett is taking place, a buddy and I were discussing at lunch whether UVA is a destination job or stepping stone. Terry Holland is the only lifer that comes to mind although Jeff Jones might have stayed longer if he could have kept his Johnson in his pants. They have a new arena, pretty good support, and a good & fertile recruiting area. Also Bennett could really keep it going with Roy, K, Boeheim, etc. near the end of the line and they fact that hs is after all a hell of a coach.

On the flip side, does Bennett have higher aspirations? I would think those aspirations could be attained at UVA but who knows. Would he consider leaving say to Wisconsin where his Dad coached and where he was born? Bo Ryan isn't getting any younger and he has made WI even better than when Dick Bennett was there. Hell WI is probably a top ten program now or better. I am sure there are other suitors that will come calling in the future especially since Tony is only 45 yrs old. Would he spurn the Cavs should KY, AZ, Ohio St, etc. open?

Bennett won't be allowed to go for either the Dick or UNC opening. KY is not for him, and he's not much younger than Self when thinking of KU. Add to that he's the same age or so as Matta and older than Miller. The only school in the country I worry about nabbing him is Wisconsin. Considering where he has taken UVA, that would be a lateral move. But remember how seriously Skip considered going to Pitt. And Bo is no spring chicken, so if he doesn't leap at that, he'll be a UVA lifer.

Oh I agree he's done a very good job with recruiting, but he also doesn't have Harry Giles on that team and therefore has a reputation for not being a stud recruiter. To me it just highlights just how far behind the 8 ball we've been since 2010...this guy who is supposedly not a great recruiter has far more talent than we do. The lowest ranked player on Bennett's list you provided would be the second or third best rated player on Wake's.

Seems like all this does is reinforce the notion that you don't need to pack your bench with McD's kids to succeed.

Yes, that's the #1 excuse that comes out of an athlete's mouth 'we lacked effort'. These guys come out for the interview after DM has 15-20 min with them in the locker room, they are going to reflect what DM told them in there.
This is what the players should have been saying after that game. None of that "effort, energy" nonsense. :thumbsup:

Bennett won't be allowed to go for either the Dick or UNC opening. KY is not for him, and he's not much younger than Self when thinking of KU. Add to that he's the same age or so as Matta and older than Miller. The only school in the country I worry about nabbing him is Wisconsin. Considering where he has taken UVA, that would be a lateral move. But remember how seriously Skip considered going to Pitt. And Bo is no spring chicken, so if he doesn't leap at that, he'll be a UVA lifer.

Agree 100%. I don't see KY, UNC or Duke offering Bennett. UNC and Duke will keep it in the family, and KY is not a good fit. Bennett grew up in Wisconsin, and his dad coached them to a final 4. Bo Ryan has that job for life, but he is 67. There are not many coaches older. Bennett's style fits Wisconsin basketball perfectly (as his Dad started Wisconsin's run of success). No doubt that when Bo leaves Madison, Wisconsin first call will be to Bennett. Not sure what he would/will do when that opportunity presents itself.

Are we sure he's a consistant starter ? He didn't start in that big game in NJ....2 FT's off the bench as a sub.

One game doesn't speak to his body of work or potential. He's actually got really, really good footwork for a 7 ft. tall senior in high school and apparently has started to fill out. He comes in next year a legit 7 ft. 240-250 (maybe more) with a summer of coaching from Manning under his belt and it's almost a guarantee that he'll add more than Washington. At least that's what I'm hoping...

Seems like all this does is reinforce the notion that you don't need to pack your bench with McD's kids to succeed.
Sure, but it also supports the notion that you need good players and good players tend to, at the very least, end up among the top-100-to-150 prospects in a given recruiting class.

Again, Bennett has a lot of talent at his disposal at UVA and high school recruiting analysts agree.

Dan's latest, goes beyond the "lack of effort" cliche

http://www.journalnow.com/sports/wf...cle_e7b865f8-bea2-11e4-b471-5330f2044731.html

When Michael McLauglin of The Old Gold and Black asked Coach Danny Manning why he made the move, Manning was his usual succinct self.
"They weren't doing anything,'' Manning said of the starters.
In his response, Manning lived up to the nickname I've settled on for him this season. I call him Danny "Brass Tacks'' Manning because I've known few individuals who adhere so steadfastly to the bottom line.
The exchange also brought to mind a conversation I had with Manning last week, which helps put in perspective pretty much every move he has made in his first season as Wake's head coach.
"Whenever you take on a new situation, you have to build it,'' Manning said. "I’ve said that from Day One.
"You’ve got to build your foundation and that foundation is going to carry you through – because that’s what you fall back on when things go good and what you fall back on when things don’t go good. For me, I get one time to establish our foundation.

So we have a player and the coach saying there was a lack of effort.

Maybe because they both consider it inappropriate to publicly say that we're not that good? This isn't rocket science.

Maybe because they both consider it inappropriate to publicly say that we're not that good? This isn't rocket science.

Sigh. Sure the coach just pulled the starters because they are not that good (or at least not as good as the bench).

I don't see how switching to a zone defense (for a change of pace) is taking the short sighted approach.

I don't see how switching to a zone defense (for a change of pace) is taking the short sighted approach.

If changing to zone were intended to change the pace, sure there is nothing wrong with that... but Manning is saying that switching to zone because your players aren't working hard enough to keep up with the opposing team lets your players off the hook for not trying hard enough. If you don't push them to perform and you let them off the hook by switching to zone, then you'll institute a culture of laziness... every time a player doesn't want to play man defense because they are tired or whatever, they give up an easy layup or two hoping that the coach will switch up the D. It's like raising a toddler, you can't give them what they want or reward them when they throw a tantrum because thereafter, every time they will throw a tantrum.

If changing to zone were intended to change the pace, sure there is nothing wrong with that... but Manning is saying that switching to zone because your players aren't working hard enough to keep up with the opposing team lets your players off the hook for not trying hard enough. If you don't push them to perform and you let them off the hook by switching to zone, then you'll institute a culture of laziness... every time a player doesn't want to play man defense because they are tired or whatever, they give up an easy layup or two hoping that the coach will switch up the D. It's like raising a toddler, you can't give them what they want or reward them when they throw a tantrum because thereafter, every time they will throw a tantrum.

Good analogy. Keep those standards high, coach.

And I think this is one of the reasons we see some lineups that are a bit curious...

I have tried to rationalize it...figure it out; but it seems that DM is willing to sacrifice greater potential offensive production (and therefore wins?) for defensive intensity and efficiency. If you don't make the effort, you won't see the floor. And if you let your emotions put the team and the concept(s) at risk, you sit.

We have a long way to go on defense, and some of it is certainly a matter of personnel, but I see some positive trends.

I've already started thinking about next year. I really like what DM's first group of players have contributed this year

I am really interested to see what becomes of Dinos, though. Young man needs some wood-shedding on the defensive end. I wonder how DT's role will change as we go into next year.

This may be the first time he has really been asked (pushed, forced??) to work hard on defense. Takes a while to get the concepts down to where they are comfortable. That is, knowing what your next rotation is, and the one after that... He seems to get the first switch and rotation, but not the second and third.

Back