• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Dan's Take on Whatever

A lot of college students work on the weekends. Plenty have families. I’m sure that factors into attendance too.

Wow, very surprising take by you on Wake student demographics. My belief is these numbers are very low at MSD.

I wasn’t talking about Wake students. I was continuing the conversation about how the national landscape has changed.

Several posters have essentially been getting at the intersection of the Venn diagram of:
A. Jobs that are a tier or two above Wake and Clawson would jump at
B. Schools that would want to hire Clawson (as one of the tags points out, with his ACC win % of 32)

I don't think that overlap is terribly big.

Circle A, by conference, giving a slight lean toward midwestern schools because of Clawson's background and a slight lean against southern ones because of Wake's location:
ACC: Clemson, maybe FSU
Big 10: Iowa, Michigan, Michigan State, Nebraska, Ohio State, Penn State, Wisconsin
Big 12: Kansas State, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, Texas, West Virginia
Pac 12: Arizona, Cal, Oregon, Stanford, UCLA, USC, Washington
SEC: Alabama, maybe Arkansas, Auburn, Georgia, Florida, LSU, maybe Missouri, Texas A&M

Circle B, looking at only teams in Circle A, with a slight lean away from western schools because Clawson has no history there:
ACC: maybe FSU
Big 10: Iowa, Michigan State, maybe Wisconsin
Big 12: Kansas State, Oklahoma State, West Virginia
Pac 12: maybe Arizona, maybe Washington
SEC: maybe Arkansas, maybe Missouri

So, out of those schools, who will be hiring?
ACC: FSU
Big 10: maybe Michigan State
Big 12: None
Pac 12: maybe Arizona

If I were looking into a crystal ball, I would say Michigan State is the most likely to hire Clawson. The others seem like long shots.

Can't see private school educated Clawson taking a large state school job after the Tennessee debacle.

He gets us and all that Wake has to offer.

Given Clawson's MAC history the MSU job makes the most sense on that list. East Lansing is 3 hours away from Ball State so he probably still has some recruiting connections. I just don't think the MSU job will be vacant anytime soon. D'Antonio's contract runs through 2024 and he's survived a 3-9 season in 2016 to come back and go 10-3 the following year. MSU is gonna beat the teams they should beat (Rutgers, Maryland) to close out the season and will have a chance to go 7-6. Even if he goes 5-7 he probably gets another shot given his track record of solid performance (6 out of the last 10 seasons with double digit wins).

Given Clawson's MAC history the MSU job makes the most sense on that list. East Lansing is 3 hours away from Ball State so he probably still has some recruiting connections. I just don't think the MSU job will be vacant anytime soon. D'Antonio's contract runs through 2024 and he's survived a 3-9 season in 2016 to come back and go 10-3 the following year. MSU is gonna beat the teams they should beat (Rutgers, Maryland) to close out the season and will have a chance to go 7-6. Even if he goes 5-7 he probably gets another shot given his track record of solid performance (6 out of the last 10 seasons with double digit wins).

Clawson coached at Bowling Green, not Ball State. BG and MSU are 7+ hours apart. I don't think Clawson wants to move to East Lansing, Michigan.

Last edited:
Several posters have essentially been getting at the intersection of the Venn diagram of:
A. Jobs that are a tier or two above Wake and Clawson would jump at
B. Schools that would want to hire Clawson (as one of the tags points out, with his ACC win % of 32)

I don't think that overlap is terribly big.

Circle A, by conference, giving a slight lean toward midwestern schools because of Clawson's background and a slight lean against southern ones because of Wake's location:
ACC: Clemson, maybe FSU
Big 10: Iowa, Michigan, Michigan State, Nebraska, Ohio State, Penn State, Wisconsin
Big 12: Kansas State, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, Texas, West Virginia
Pac 12: Arizona, Cal, Oregon, Stanford, UCLA, USC, Washington
SEC: Alabama, maybe Arkansas, Auburn, Georgia, Florida, LSU, maybe Missouri, Texas A&M

Circle B, looking at only teams in Circle A, with a slight lean away from western schools because Clawson has no history there:
ACC: maybe FSU
Big 10: Iowa, Michigan State, maybe Wisconsin
Big 12: Kansas State, Oklahoma State, West Virginia
Pac 12: maybe Arizona, maybe Washington

So, out of those schools, who will be hiring?
ACC: FSU
Big 10: maybe Michigan State
Big 12: None
Pac 12: maybe Arizona

If I were looking into a crystal ball, I would say Michigan State is the most likely to hire Clawson. The others seem like long shots.

There is a good chance Texas will fire Tom Herman.

Yes, but I don't think they would consider Clawson at all.

While it may be true now, of two New Yorkers and two Maryland natives(mid seventies) have been steady attenders after 10 out of MSD. Living in Richmond, Raleigh and Alabama. So some of that assumption is awry.

Clawson's not going anywhere for another 3-5 years.

I think this is the case as well. Unfortunately, I think the better we get every year, the more appealing Clawson is to the powerhouse football schools. It’s a gift and a curse. If we’re a consistent 1-2 loss team for the next two years, he’s going to start getting big money offers that will be hard for us to compete with.

If Clawson leaves after this season or 4 seasons from now, it will mean WF is good in football. Think about the alternative: no one is concerned about the basketball coach getting offers from the compeition. If your coach is in demand, it means the program is desirable. That's where we want to be.

If Clawson leaves after this season or 4 seasons from now, it will mean WF is good in football. Think about the alternative: no one is concerned about the basketball coach getting offers from the compeition. If your coach is in demand, it means the program is desirable. That's where we want to be.

Agreed.

Clawson is not going anywhere. Why do posters start this garbage?

People get obsessed with the idea of a coach leaving for a better job even though it’s rarely happened. This year we are probably as likely to finish with 7 wins as we are with 10.

Clawson coached at Bowling Green, not Ball State. BG and MSU are 7+ hours apart. I don't think Clawson wants to move to East Lansing, Michigan.

He may not move but i'd be careful disparaging East Lansing. A'int like W-S is exactly the "Paris of the Carolinas"

Back