• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Dan's Take on Whatever

Several posters have essentially been getting at the intersection of the Venn diagram of:
A. Jobs that are a tier or two above Wake and Clawson would jump at
B. Schools that would want to hire Clawson (as one of the tags points out, with his ACC win % of 32)

I don't think that overlap is terribly big.

Circle A, by conference, giving a slight lean toward midwestern schools because of Clawson's background and a slight lean against southern ones because of Wake's location:
ACC: Clemson, maybe FSU
Big 10: Iowa, Michigan, Michigan State, Nebraska, Ohio State, Penn State, Wisconsin
Big 12: Kansas State, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, Texas, West Virginia
Pac 12: Arizona, Cal, Oregon, Stanford, UCLA, USC, Washington
SEC: Alabama, maybe Arkansas, Auburn, Georgia, Florida, LSU, maybe Missouri, Texas A&M

Circle B, looking at only teams in Circle A, with a slight lean away from western schools because Clawson has no history there:
ACC: maybe FSU
Big 10: Iowa, Michigan State, maybe Wisconsin
Big 12: Kansas State, Oklahoma State, West Virginia
Pac 12: maybe Arizona, maybe Washington
SEC: maybe Arkansas, maybe Missouri

So, out of those schools, who will be hiring?
ACC: FSU
Big 10: maybe Michigan State
Big 12: None
Pac 12: maybe Arizona
SEC: maybe Arkansas, maybe Missouri

If I were looking into a crystal ball, I would say Michigan State is the most likely to hire Clawson. The others seem like long shots.

Good post - he'll probably do the Grobe "parlay faint ark interest into a lifetime contract" move. i still think MSU is a real possibility - they are going to come up with graceful exit for D'antoni and then all bets are off. But up there i could see sexy "MAC coach of the day" looking better than Wake coach. No one at State U is gonna care that Dave runs a clean program or that his players graduate. That shit only matters here. Everywhere else it is all W and L.

I’ve said Iowa for years. No real reason just feels right. Big Ten jump and a chance to follow up Ferentz legacy (if and when he retires).

I’ve said Iowa for years. No real reason just feels right. Big Ten jump and a chance to follow up Ferentz legacy (if and when he retires).

IDK, from listening to Clawson's midweek show, he's big into family. His daughter is at Davidson and his parents are at Charlotte. From what he says on the show, it seems like he really values being able to visit them easily.

IDK, from listening to Clawson's midweek show, he's big into family. His daughter is at Davidson and his parents are at Charlotte. From what he says on the show, it seems like he really values being able to visit them easily.

Clawson to the Panthers?

Clawson coached at Bowling Green, not Ball State. BG and MSU are 7+ hours apart. I don't think Clawson wants to move to East Lansing, Michigan.

I doubt Clawson is interested in MSU, but this isn't correct. BG is two hours from East Lansing. Maybe you're thinking of Bowling Green, KY, but that's not where BGSU is. It's in NW Ohio near the Michigan border.

Why would Clawson leave behind the annual pageantry of the Wake/Duke game for some bland overhyped battle between traditional powers with national championship implications ?

I definitely don't want Claw to leave but this would be the year if he is going to. I think it is almost certainly going to be a step back year for us next season.

I definitely don't want Claw to leave but this would be the year if he is going to. I think it is almost certainly going to be a step back year for us next season.

Too early to identify next year as a potential "step-back", b/c right now it's very much up in the air how this season will end up. We win out and go 10-3 I'm with you, but it's also possible with our key injuries we drop the next two and the bowl to finish 7-6, in which case I don't see us falling below that next year.

Back to Dan's article, my vote says we have both coaches next year. We may have Manning next year for the same reason we have him this year. I don't know how much of a difference a year makes on his buyout.

the longer we hold onto Manning, the harder it will be to hold onto Clawson. Even when our football team is winning, the lack of enthusiasm around basketball drags down interest and attendance at all other sports.

My thoughts next year.
Clawson stays, Manning goes.

the longer we hold onto Manning, the harder it will be to hold onto Clawson. Even when our football team is winning, the lack of enthusiasm around basketball drags down interest and attendance at all other sports.

This.

When we were putting butts in the seats under Grobe, Skip and Dino were putting butts in the seats at the Joel.

Even when our football team is winning, the lack of enthusiasm around basketball drags down interest and attendance at all other sports.

I don't buy this excuse to rationalize away the disappointing home football attendance in a potential double digit win season.

Our head football coach has all but called out the fanbase in press conferences yet we have many who continue to point the finger at the basketball program.

I for one can't wait until he leaves so we can run the orbit pass at least 4 times per series.

Last edited:
My thoughts next year.
Clawson stays, Manning goes.

This.

Clawson told me that he promised Courtney he would not leave while she was enrolled at Davidson. I believed him.

I don't buy this excuse to rationalize away the disappointing home football attendance in a potential double digit win season.

Our head football coach has all but called out the fanbase in press conferences yet we have many who continue to point the finger at the basketball program.

You don’t buy that in a traditional basketball heavy program, that when that program sucks people aren’t enthused about Wake sports in general? We have decades of fans who didn’t really get into football because we sucked. But they get excited about basketball. You can’t change that overnight.

I know you like to blame everything on the keyboard warriors, but are you chalking up our attendance problems to a couple dozen posters that you like to argue with?

I hope we don’t hold back offering top money to Clawson because of potential manning buyout I would rather we just suck at basketball than lose Clawson. Then we can just let manning’s Legacy be as the worst basketball coach in the history of the acc. I still wonder how much he turned down from us this summer in buyout negotiations

You don’t buy that in a traditional basketball heavy program, that when that program sucks people aren’t enthused about Wake sports in general? We have decades of fans who didn’t really get into football because we sucked. But they get excited about basketball. You can’t change that overnight.

I know you like to blame everything on the keyboard warriors, but are you chalking up our attendance problems to a couple dozen posters that you like to argue with?

I think the perception of our ‘traditional’ sports has changed somewhat over the past 10 years.
We are now very, very good at tennis, golf and soccer.
We are pretty good at football
We are almost irrelevant in basketball.
Younger Wake fans do not remember and/or did not live thru the glory years of Wake hoops.
Think it will take some time for these perceptions to change.

I say this as someone who lived thru Wake sports in the 70’s when 2 wins in football was average and we won multiple Big 4 basketball tournaments.

Being good at football is fun and awesome, but we aren't going to ever compete for a natty. We can do that, and have had teams capable of doing that in basketball. That program needs to rejuvenated.

Back