• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Dave Clawson Credibility Watch

I don't get the sense Clawson has much of a clue about coaching defense in any aspect. Which is fine as long as he brings in someone who does.

This is a poor take.

Was pretty credible in 2021. Less credible in 2022.

I'm sure some stat nerds on here can crunch the numbers but it sure seemed like we were the worst P5 team managing that magical 8-minutes before and after the half. Between mind-numbing decisions, horrendous special teams and a non-existent defense, that window really cost us a ton of chances. And what's even more bizarre is we looked identical under Grobe during the same in-game period.

We will have to have Clawson around for at least this season and next (same as Manning). Strap in and prepare to suck.

7a2.gif

Also don't want anyone else running the program, but those calling him one of the top coaches in the country need to take a step back and look at where we are.

We have had 1 winning ACC record in his near decade in charge. We have only been .500 twice. That's bad. Hard to think of many other schools where that is acceptable never mind celebrated, but of course we're not really a football school and it's hard to compare. I think he is an outstanding program builder, but there were several times this year I thought the in-game coaching (clock management, decision making, play calling) was just horrendous.

This next iteration of Wake football (post Hartman/Perry, new O line, etc.) will determine Dave Clawson's legacy. If Mitch and the team win 9+ games in 2024 and 2025, then yes Clawson has established Wake as a major football program. If we go back to being the 7-5 program we've been for most of Clawson's tenure, his legacy will be bringing us from embarrassing to mediocre, which is still good but not special.

Also don't want anyone else running the program, but those calling him one of the top coaches in the country need to take a step back and look at where we are.

We have had 1 winning ACC record in his near decade in charge. We have only been .500 twice. That's bad. Hard to think of many other schools where that is acceptable never mind celebrated, but of course we're not really a football school and it's hard to compare. I think he is an outstanding program builder, but there were several times this year I thought the in-game coaching (clock management, decision making, play calling) was just horrendous.

This next iteration of Wake football (post Hartman/Perry, new O line, etc.) will determine Dave Clawson's legacy. If Mitch and the team win 9+ games in 2024 and 2025, then yes Clawson has established Wake as a major football program. If we go back to being the 7-5 program we've been for most of Clawson's tenure, his legacy will be bringing us from embarrassing to mediocre, which is still good but not special.
Wake has played football for 115 years. We have been ranked in the AP top 10 twice - this year and last year. Clawson is an outstanding coach - not perfect, nobody is - but an outstanding coach.

Exactly. We're not at Alabama. It's Wake Forest. I'm not happy with how the season ended but I have some perspective.

Wake is very attractive for recruits on the offense side. Team averaging 40 points per game? Sign me up!

On the other side, however, Wake defense seems be in tough situations a lot. Not fun. Not something I want to sign up for. Wake staff needs to figure out how to make playing defense more attractive.

Jessie Bates and JaSir Taylor playing in the NFL should help. Every "Wake Forest" shout out on NFL broadcasts helps recruiting a little.

7-5 is very good at WF. He’s our best coach ever. Get real

Idiotic take.

We've come a long way from the 3-4 win seasons during my time at MSD.

Idiotic take.

We've come a long way from the 3-4 win seasons during my time at MSD.
Us sucking in the past really shouldn't be as relevant as Wake football fans like to make it. We've been terrible at basketball for a decade but you still see a thread questioning Forbes 1/3 of the way into a season after we won 25 games last year. This season did a lot to lower my feelings about Clawson, returning almost every key piece from an 11 win team and going 7-5 including yet another year without a winning ACC record and going 0-3 against our rivals. I don't totally understand Wake football fans seeing making a bowl as something that makes Clawson a hero when we typically play 4 non conference cupcakes a year and get at least two stinkers on the ACC schedule. Not making a bowl with the schedules we've had recently would be embarrassing. If Clawson can win with this next group of players, then yes he will go down as the greatest Wake coach ever for good reason, but right now he's only the greatest Wake coach ever because we've been that pathetic as a program for most of our histroy.

We are very fortunate to have Clawson and Ruggiero. They are the best coach and OC Wake has ever had respectively.

Defensively, I am confident Lambert will improve things. How much is the key question. I agree with Clawson’s decision to fire Sawvel in ‘18. I wish we would have hired Lambert sooner than ‘22. Hood sets a high bar for best Wake DC, Elko was only here 2yrs so he doesn’t really count. This season, Lambert’s high point was the FSU win. We haven’t played that well defensively against a high level opponent in awhile. Another high point was allowing 10pts to Army following last year’s defensive meltdown that required a perfect game from Hartman to win. Allowing the late Duke TD was probably the low point, as well as allowing DJ and MJ Morris to have career-best and turnover-free games against us. I liked how Lambert made adjustments and played better in the 2nd half of games, especially in the UNC game. The only game this wasn’t true was Liberty where we appeared to get cocky with a 12pt halftime lead. Some of it is bad luck but the lack of forcing turnovers was very frustrating: Does Lambert need a turnover chain? NIL incentives for turnovers?

I hope Clawson finds a new kicker for kickoffs. If it’s a scholarship issue, ask Bobby Muuss to lend one of his walk-ons. It’s pathetic.

Back