• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Dave Clawson Credibility Watch

clawson feels like he’s hit his ceiling at wake. he was interested in the washington job but the fact that his family/son is happy in winston (now at UNCSA) has kept him from really pursuing other opportunities so far

The Clawson ceiling comments have to be a joke, right? Incoming recruiting class ranks where compared to 3 or 4 years ago? ACC Championship game appearance was how long ago? Upcoming playoff expansion means what for the ACC winner? All that plus we're ditching the divisions?

Barring a dream job falling into his lap, I think Wake Forest has shown him incredible support with all of our facility improvements and huge monetary investments. He's figured out how to make it work here which makes him unique in a way that helps us but at the same time a bit discounted by the really big-time programs.

I'd love to see him land a playoff appearance after the expansion before his tenure at Wake is over, along with an ACC title. That's his ceiling, maybe with a win or two depending on where everything gets seeded.

Wild to think that we could win the ACC and host a playoff game at 11-2.

Us sucking in the past really shouldn't be as relevant as Wake football fans like to make it. We've been terrible at basketball for a decade but you still see a thread questioning Forbes 1/3 of the way into a season after we won 25 games last year. This season did a lot to lower my feelings about Clawson, returning almost every key piece from an 11 win team and going 7-5 including yet another year without a winning ACC record and going 0-3 against our rivals. I don't totally understand Wake football fans seeing making a bowl as something that makes Clawson a hero when we typically play 4 non conference cupcakes a year and get at least two stinkers on the ACC schedule. Not making a bowl with the schedules we've had recently would be embarrassing. If Clawson can win with this next group of players, then yes he will go down as the greatest Wake coach ever for good reason, but right now he's only the greatest Wake coach ever because we've been that pathetic as a program for most of our histroy.
You are really confused. We’ve struggled at football because of the size of WF, academic limitations on recruiting, small class sizes, and the tough academic challenge of the university for most athletes. Our facilities are vastly improved on campus (recent) but nothing else has really changed since the 70’s. 7 straight bowls is an amazing accomplishment at WF.

The Clawson ceiling comments have to be a joke, right? Incoming recruiting class ranks where compared to 3 or 4 years ago? ACC Championship game appearance was how long ago? Upcoming playoff expansion means what for the ACC winner? All that plus we're ditching the divisions?

Barring a dream job falling into his lap, I think Wake Forest has shown him incredible support with all of our facility improvements and huge monetary investments. He's figured out how to make it work here which makes him unique in a way that helps us but at the same time a bit discounted by the really big-time programs.

I'd love to see him land a playoff appearance after the expansion before his tenure at Wake is over, along with an ACC title. That's his ceiling, maybe with a win or two depending on where everything gets seeded.
i think this year was a pretty major bummer for a lot of longtime fans. i still believe in clawson, but i'm not gonna get excited after 4 games again for awhile.

You are really confused. We’ve struggled at football because of the size of WF, academic limitations on recruiting, small class sizes, and the tough academic challenge of the university for most athletes. Our facilities are vastly improved on campus (recent) but nothing else has really changed since the 70’s. 7 straight bowls is an amazing accomplishment at WF.
Not confused lol. Is winning at Wake harder than winning at Duke? Not even close. Clawson is only 4-4 against them. As I have said, I want Clawson leading this program and think he's the right man to do it and has done a good job, I just said those acting like he's one of the top handful of coaches in the country need to realize Wake has had one winning ACC record in his entire tenure. Right now, he should not go down as a "great" coach ten years from now. If he brings a Mitch led team to 9 or 10 wins he'll prove to me he is a great coach. As of now, this year to me shows last year was a bit of a fluke where we won every close game imaginable including multiple where the other team found a way to lose more than we found a way to win. Right now I think he's a good coach and great program builder. Get me another year close to last year and I'll be singing a different tune. Prove me wrong, Dave.

Not confused lol. Is winning at Wake harder than winning at Duke? Not even close. Clawson is only 4-4 against them. As I have said, I want Clawson leading this program and think he's the right man to do it and has done a good job, I just said those acting like he's one of the top handful of coaches in the country need to realize Wake has had one winning ACC record in his entire tenure. Right now, he should not go down as a "great" coach ten years from now. If he brings a Mitch led team to 9 or 10 wins he'll prove to me he is a great coach. As of now, this year to me shows last year was a bit of a fluke where we won every close game imaginable including multiple where the other team found a way to lose more than we found a way to win. Right now I think he's a good coach and great program builder. Get me another year close to last year and I'll be singing a different tune. Prove me wrong, Dave.
NJDeac'22, I still wanna know the answers to those questions. Please post them on the Chat Thread, though.

i think this year was a pretty major bummer for a lot of longtime fans. i still believe in clawson, but i'm not gonna get excited after 4 games again for awhile.
Can't judge this mindset, I would have been the same not too long ago. I went down for NC State last year and UNC this year. For those of us that were at Wake in the Caldwell days, maybe the weight of just how incredibly better the entire program is lands differently. And fans with ACC Championship expectations are part of that. UNC was my son's first football game in person, and he was griping about the rain and the cold until Hartman hit Greene on that 60 yard TD pass to take the lead and the stadium went nuts as did he. He lost his mind when they called back the 45 yard pass to AT Perry at the end for a bullshit hold - a call that likely cost us the game. Against NC State AT got the PI call that led to a game-clinching TD.

They're just razor-thin margins, like the Clemson game this year. But the floor is just so much higher, and even with the loss my kid loved the experience end-to-end. Still talks about it constantly. Stadium great, game day experience great, production value of the game great. We ran into Clawson randomly before the game - he quipped that we were 6-3 and the fans were pissed. I understand fans who think "but we should be 8-1!" and I understand the fans who think "no kidding, the idea that a bowl game is now the floor of expectations at Wake Forest is crazy."

The bottom line is it's sports. And not even pro sports, it's college sports where shit like that Louisville quarter happens for no explainable reason. So there will be years where good teams underachieve and lesser teams overachieve. It'd take a lot more than this year's team underachieving to shake my belief that Clawson is the ideal coach for Wake as long as he wants the job.

Us sucking in the past really shouldn't be as relevant as Wake football fans like to make it. We've been terrible at basketball for a decade but you still see a thread questioning Forbes 1/3 of the way into a season after we won 25 games last year. This season did a lot to lower my feelings about Clawson, returning almost every key piece from an 11 win team and going 7-5 including yet another year without a winning ACC record and going 0-3 against our rivals. I don't totally understand Wake football fans seeing making a bowl as something that makes Clawson a hero when we typically play 4 non conference cupcakes a year and get at least two stinkers on the ACC schedule. Not making a bowl with the schedules we've had recently would be embarrassing. If Clawson can win with this next group of players, then yes he will go down as the greatest Wake coach ever for good reason, but right now he's only the greatest Wake coach ever because we've been that pathetic as a program for most of our histroy.
Last year we got TOs And won close games, this year we didn’t Do either.

This year we lost 3 games by a total of 11 points. Last year we won 3 games by a total of 9 points. That’s the difference. Our margin of error is razor thin.

Lol, Clawson's "ceiling" is ACC championship games with a chance of hosting a CFB playoff game.

I'd take that a zillion out of a zillion times.
Yeah. I’m not sure what the higher ceiling is supposed to be in this scenario.

I hate fans using the 100+ year history as a boat anchor for the program. From 2000 to now (almost 25 years), we've shown that we can compete in football. Therefore, we should expect it. 50+ year old history has no bearing on this program.

This year we lost 3 games by a total of 11 points. Last year we won 3 games by a total of 9 points. That’s the difference. Our margin of error is razor thin.
This perfectly describes Wake Forest Football as a program. Our margins or razor thin. It was obvious at 6-1 that we would have to play out of our minds on offense and have pretty much every break go our way on defense to barely beat mediocre and better teams. How many points did we score this year with Sam throwing off his back foot being dragged down and one of our receivers making an acrobatic catch falling down. Hard to sustain winning streaks relying on that level of good fortune and such.

I hate fans using the 100+ year history as a boat anchor for the program. From 2000 to now (almost 25 years), we've shown that we can compete in football. Therefore, we should expect it. 50+ year old history has no bearing on this program.
Since the 2001 season we are 71-104 in the mighty ACC football conference, with four of those seasons being over .500 in the conference. If anything you could say we have an excellent chance of making the ACC title game when we break .500.

Back