• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Dave Clawson Credibility Watch

clawson feels like he’s hit his ceiling at wake. he was interested in the washington job but the fact that his family/son is happy in winston (now at UNCSA) has kept him from really pursuing other opportunities so far
is this reading the situation or insider info?

I hate fans using the 100+ year history as a boat anchor for the program. From 2000 to now (almost 25 years), we've shown that we can compete in football. Therefore, we should expect it. 50+ year old history has no bearing on this program.
Those of us who lived through the 1-10 seasons of Mills and 8 years of Caldwell with a total of about 30 wins tend to appreciate Grobe and Clawson more than the younger generation.

Those of us who lived through the 1-10 seasons of Mills and 8 years of Caldwell with a total of about 30 wins tend to appreciate Grobe and Clawson more than the younger generation.

Every single year now under Clawson, there is the expectation that we win. Even Clemson this year. I remember when there was absolutely NO hope. NONE. You just prayed no one got seriously injured or killed. Yes. We were that fucking bad!!

Last edited:

I for one, am quite happy to be past the "kick it, Chuck, kick it" days.

Interstate 40 WFU 0 road sign was seen just west of WS during the Mills era. We had the throw and go offense: throw up and go home. Mackovic was brilliant in 1979 (8–3) but left after the 1980 season (5-6). Al Groh was decent in that we scored points, then Dooley was boring as hell but got us to a bowl (big deal back then) in 1992. Caldwell sucked for 8 long years. WF fans have been blessed since 2000 with Grobe and Clawson. Yeah, 7-5 was very disappointing this year after 11 wins in 2021 and a 6-1 start and top 10 ranking. But 7 straight bowls is unmatched in WF history and a great accomplishment. We sure as hell don’t won’t to lose Clawson. Hope he retires at WF.

I enjoy these credibility watch threads for, if nothing else, the opportunity to litigate the history of the programs and put the current coaches in context.

Wake fans should never be content with the status quo, but we should reflect on how far we’ve come from a small regional college to a regional university to a major college athletic program and good research institution punching above its weight.

I’m proud to be a Deacon, proud of the way Clawson and Forbes represent us in the ACC, and happy with the direction of the programs after the end of the Grobe and [Redacted] eras. I also think that means there’s room for reasonable critiques of our coaches. Our small but mighty stature will haunt us in the NIL era if we don’t have coaches ready to exploit the margins and work their asses off. I happen to think we’ve got a couple gems where that’s concerned. Reasonable minds may disagree.

Reminiscing, Remember the infamous FB Coach Billy Hildebrand. I was age 10 and had a sister who was a sophomore at Wake Forest College. In '62 he was 0 - 10...Posted link on his bio.

Head coaching record[edit]​

YearTeamOverallConferenceStandingBowl/playoffs
Whitworth Pirates (Evergreen Conference) (1951)
1951Whitworth3–51–4T–3rd
Whitworth:3–51–4
Wake Forest Demon Deacons (Atlantic Coast Conference) (1960–1963)
1960Wake Forest2–82–5T–6th
1961Wake Forest4–63–4T–5th
1962Wake Forest0–100–78th
1963Wake Forest1–91–57th
Wake Forest:7–336–21
Total:10–38

I enjoy these credibility watch threads for, if nothing else, the opportunity to litigate the history of the programs and put the current coaches in context.

Wake fans should never be content with the status quo, but we should reflect on how far we’ve come from a small regional college to a regional university to a major college athletic program and good research institution punching above its weight.

I’m proud to be a Deacon, proud of the way Clawson and Forbes represent us in the ACC, and happy with the direction of the programs after the end of the Grobe and [Redacted] eras. I also think that means there’s room for reasonable critiques of our coaches. Our small but mighty stature will haunt us in the NIL era if we don’t have coaches ready to exploit the margins and work their asses off. I happen to think we’ve got a couple gems where that’s concerned. Reasonable minds may disagree.

This is a good post except for using Grobe and redacted in the same sentence. Perhaps I’m reading too much into that.

Clawson has done a great job and has built upon the foundation he inherited, but regardless of the end of Grobe’s tenure (which I believe was shaped in part by the death of his friend Skip), Grobe showed it was possible to dream and win big at WF.

It should be 4-0, with a forfeit over the aTm wimps from last year.

Back