• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Dave Clawson Credibility Watch

I guess I will get beat up for this, but honestly guys. I mean, Clawson doesn't know - from watching hundreds of hours of practice and game time with these guys - which QB gives his team the best chance at winning? If you think Griffis is terrible (and his performance hasn't been good for sure) then I think there is really only one conclusion that can be drawn: the other guys are worse. I am going to rule out the only other possible option which is that Clawson is trying to lose.

In 2006 our coaches thought Ben Mauk gave us the best chance to win over Riley Skinner. Sometimes you gotta pivot, either involuntarily like 06 or voluntarily because it's obvious what you're doing isn't working.

I guess I will get beat up for this, but honestly guys. I mean, Clawson doesn't know - from watching hundreds of hours of practice and game time with these guys - which QB gives his team the best chance at winning? If you think Griffis is terrible (and his performance hasn't been good for sure) then I think there is really only one conclusion that can be drawn: the other guys are worse. I am going to rule out the only other possible option which is that Clawson is trying to lose.

I don't think anyone in their right mind believes Clawson is trying to lose. In fact, I think he's overthinking things. No one wishes to be publicly proven completely wrong. And I have to wonder if there's some public embarrassment on behalf of Clawson in just how bad the Griffis experience has been. Putrid bad!! I draw a parallel from the investment world. I've seen more than one person cling to a stock, absolutely determined it will go back up. Polaroid was over $100 and people piled into it as it dropped and everyone said, "that sucker is bound to rebound!". It was this dogged blindness to the facts that put many of those people in the poor house as it collapsed. I think the same happens in other endeavors. And I have to wonder if Clawson is saying "that sucker is bound to improve if I keep playing him". And, rather than cutting his losses and tax harvesting (the wise move), he's all-in until it goes to $0.00.

In 2006 our coaches thought Ben Mauk gave us the best chance to win over Riley Skinner. Sometimes you gotta pivot, either involuntarily like 06 or voluntarily because it's obvious what you're doing isn't working.
Ted Stachitas won the job in the offseason too

I don't think anyone in their right mind believes Clawson is trying to lose. In fact, I think he's overthinking things. No one wishes to be publicly proven completely wrong. And I have to wonder if there's some public embarrassment on behalf of Clawson in just how bad the Griffis experience has been. Putrid bad!! I draw a parallel from the investment world. I've seen more than one person cling to a stock, absolutely determined it will go back up. Polaroid was over $100 and people piled into it as it dropped and everyone said, "that sucker is bound to rebound!". It was this dogged blindness to the facts that put many of those people in the poor house as it collapsed. I think the same happens in other endeavors. And I have to wonder if Clawson is saying "that sucker is bound to improve if I keep playing him". And, rather than cutting his losses and tax harvesting (the wise move), he's all-in until it goes to $0.00.
I still have friends swearing that their GameStop and AMC investments will pay off.

One positive, if we DO get Sharpe healthy, we bring back 9 starters on offense plus Sell and Grimes and Ellison, in other words, key backups.

Defense brings back 9 starters, assuming all stay.

Plus both kickers, assuming they stop regressing right before our eyes.
Which begs the question- if you return everyone on a bad team, is that good?

Agree. Just average level QB play and we're in these last 3 games.

We've got state right where we want 'em coming off their big miami win last night.

Let's crush their souls!
State is coming off back to back home wins v Clemson and Miami. The Pack is ripe for a road L.

In the Raleigh N&O's weekly ranking of the 10 FBS programs in the Carolina's he has Wake 8 out of 10, with his comment on the Deac's being "shoutout to Dave Clawson's enormously puffy coat".

In the Raleigh N&O's weekly ranking of the 10 FBS programs in the Carolina's he has Wake 8 out of 10, with his comment on the Deac's being "shoutout to Dave Clawson's enormously puffy coat".

The list for anyone interested:
1. NC State(??)
2. Duke
3. Clemson
4. UNC
5. Coastal Carolina(????)
6. App State(???????????)
7. South Carolina (?????????????????)
8. Wake
9. UNC Charlotte
10. ECU

I'm gonna take this guy's opinion with a grain of salt. He does not know ball.

The list for anyone interested:
1. NC State(??)
2. Duke
3. Clemson
4. UNC
5. Coastal Carolina(????)
6. App State(???????????)
7. South Carolina (?????????????????)
8. Wake
9. UNC Charlotte
10. ECU

I'm gonna take this guy's opinion with a grain of salt. He does not know ball.
I actually enjoy this guy's weekly column; lots of room for tongue-in-cheek comments for not-so-hot anyway Carolina's football, and especially when you get down to the bottom few teams. His rankings are mostly based on a weekly "vibe" and achievement relative to expectations, and not who is "better" than whom; he'll even stick a NC Central-type in there on occasion or even a high school team when they warrant some deserved attention. For example he's got NCSU #1 b/c of their coming off the mat from the dead, Duke up to #3 for finding a way to beat us w/o 8 starters or a real qb, and UNC down to #4 b/c they did their usual late-season swoon, but he's already picked UNC to easily handle Duke this weekend and may favor them again vs. NCSU regardless of his ranking that week.

SC is god awful. They barely beat an FCS team at home last weekend. At least we didn’t give up almost 30 to Elon (in football).

Jacksonville State is an FBS team and has been pretty decent this year for their first year. 87th in SP+ and 7-3.

They're better than Vanderbilt and Old Dominion.

SC is god awful. They barely beat an FCS team at home last weekend. At least we didn’t give up almost 30 to Elon (in football).

Jax State would beat the shit out of us the way we've been playing. They're transitioning to FBS and not bowl eligible this season, so treated the USC game like a bowl game.

We know this is a bad Wake team. So why are people offended when other people say this is a bad team?

ECU was tied at the half with a ranked Tulane team and lost on a 4th quarter FG last weekend, but they are 1-8.

App State is 5-4 with a TD loss ODU and a 2OT loss at UNC-CH. There's no real reason to think we're better than them right now.

Jacksonville State is an FBS team and has been pretty decent this year for their first year. 87th in SP+ and 7-3.

They're better than Vanderbilt and Old Dominion.
Jacksonville State's 7 "wins" (with Sagarin team ratings):

3-7 UTEP #141
2-7 ETSU #201
4-5 Eastern Michigan #127
1-8 Sam Houston State #171
2-7 MTSU #127
5-4 W Kentucky #88
4-5 FIU #175

Jacksonville State's two other losses to Coastal (by 13) and Liberty (by 18) were by more than S. Carolina's margin. Jacksonville State is Exhibit A for a team's record simply based on playing an awful schedule. Jacksonville State is better than a bunch of bad teams. Yay.

That was a crap performance by South Carolina against a team with a fraudulent record. Also, Jacksonville State would not be favored over ODU or Vandy. Those three are all rated in the same putrid #101 to #110 zone.

Last edited:
I hope you're right. But boy I'm worried about folks hitting the road. The new era in college sports is really something.
Senior Day announcement list is devastating for next year. All the WRs except Grimes, Mora, Jasheen, Hudson and Mustpha also as well as Kern and Santino are participating.

Back