• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Dave Clawson Credibility Watch

I mean, what did you think he'd say after a complete quit from all parties yesterday? This season has been a major embarrassment. Easily could have lost to odu. Should have lost to Pitt. We've been atrocious all season. You get paid millions a year to man up and fix things. It's clear to everyone that we've lost our way. Proof will be in the pudding. I'm here for it. I give him a very long leash
I agree. It’s one thing to man up and own the failure that this season has been. Clawson as the HC should do that anyway. I’m pissed it took him 10 weeks to say what he did yesterday. He’s accountable and takes the blame for where we are right now. Got it. Check. Now what, Dave? What are you and the staff going to do about it? It’s a tall order to recover from this debacle of a season. It’s not just coaching personnel. It’s building what’s expected to be a brand new team - I do expect us to have a lot of key guys transfer/leave the program. Just a gut feeling I have. I hope I’m wrong. But now comes the work/action to restore us to where we were just a few seasons ago. It starts now IMHO.

I'm fairly certain Griffis will never play another down after that presser.

In case anyone ever doubted that the QB is the most critical position in college FB, this season should clear that up. The entire program has fallen like a house of cards.

Clawson readily owns this mess but not giving Marucci another shot given that this season was hanging by a thread remains a mystery.

The fact that we went from the ACC Championship Game to the worst program in the conference in less than two years and there are people on this board who don’t see the need to make a coaching change is mystifying. When a coach has been somewhere for 10 years and it all falls apart, they don’t put the pieces back together again. It is over for Clawson here—the only question is how many more years we have to suffer through it before the change that is obviously necessary is ultimately made.

The fact that we went from the ACC Championship Game to the worst program in the conference in less than two years and there are people on this board who don’t see the need to make a coaching change is mystifying. When a coach has been somewhere for 10 years and it all falls apart, they don’t put the pieces back together again. It is over for Clawson here—the only question is how many more years we have to suffer through it before the change that is obviously necessary is ultimately made.
Clawson has had a bad year, but any talk of making a head coaching change that is anything other than him resigning by his decision is nuts. You may be frustrated and mad, but he’s earned the opportunity to dig out of this if he wants to try. Was anyone dumb enough to think Wake Forest football would never have a really bad season again? TCU played in the title game last year and probably won’t make a bowl this year, should they can Sonny Dykes now?

Pitt in exactly the same boat.

Clawson should consider closing our pre season practices to “ the press”. Years ago I hated Lenox Rawlings of the WS Journal. A time before internet podcasters. But I look back now and realize he spoke truth instead of:
Sam Hartman has our blessing
Receiver room is among best in nation
We are deep on the Oline
Griffis is like Wolford, has wheels, best completion rate in fall practice ever.
Depth is improving

Clawson should have said

Extra Covid year helped our program
We lost 4 players to “the bag”
We going to need big time Nil money
Our QB room needs to step up
Etc, etc.

Blowing this smoke up the arses of our fan base by a parrot press isn’t helping. The death of an independent press is ruining everything from politics to sports. I don’t trust anyone who covers us.

I mean if you're Clawson you have to be so stressed right now

1. You’ve got a ton of key players considering the transfer portal
2. It’s going to be hard to convince a guy in the portal to come play for Wake when there’s so much QB uncertainty
3. Yes, we have some money but not enough to compete with the big dogs in the portal
4. The offense that you’re selling to recruits/portal guys just doesn’t work anymore

IMO this entire mess could’ve been avoided if the staff didn’t incorrectly evaluate the QB position. We would’ve at least made a bowl game with a competent QB

I believe Clawson is the guy to fix things - he has done so much good for this program and deserves time. However, he needs to get rid of the notion that we can just be a developmental program. That won’t work to the extent it used to in 2023 unfortunately. What is going to win is being aggressive in the portal to put together the best team possible for next year and do that year after year (all this assuming Wake has the NIL funds which is dubious)

These next few months are crucial...

I mean if you're Clawson you have to be so stressed right now

1. You’ve got a ton of key players considering the transfer portal
2. It’s going to be hard to convince a guy in the portal to come play for Wake when there’s so much QB uncertainty
3. Yes, we have some money but not enough to compete with the big dogs in the portal
4. The offense that you’re selling to recruits/portal guys just doesn’t work anymore

IMO this entire mess could’ve been avoided if the staff didn’t incorrectly evaluate the QB position. We would’ve at least made a bowl game with a competent QB

I believe Clawson is the guy to fix things - he has done so much good for this program and deserves time. However, he needs to get rid of the notion that we can just be a developmental program. That won’t work to the extent it used to in 2023 unfortunately. What is going to win is being aggressive in the portal to put together the best team possible for next year and do that year after year (all this assuming Wake has the NIL funds which is dubious)

These next few months are crucial...
I mean he’s made what $40-50mm coaching college sports? Idk if he’s that stressed

But point taken - i think the very first thing he has to do after season end is portal a QB bc a) we need one duh, b) should help keep the WR afloat and c) put a spark into the program that otherwise looks dead in the water

It’ll be pretty damning if he decides to ride it out with Mitch and the funky bunch

I mean he’s made what $40-50mm coaching college sports? Idk if he’s that stressed

But point taken - i think the very first thing he has to do after season end is portal a QB bc a) we need one duh, b) should help keep the WR afloat and c) put a spark into the program that otherwise looks dead in the water

It’ll be pretty damning if he decides to ride it out with Mitch and the funky bunch
One thing I don’t doubt with Clawson is that he doesn’t care, so I think he’s stressed over it.

We’ll see. I’m not getting my hopes up. There’s still a week of practice.

My guess is he will try his damnedest to get someone in the portal. Competition will be wide-open in the spring definitely possible that Hecklinski will start as a true freshman next year.

I hope he has no idea who are starting quarterback will be next year. We got into this situation by him being too sure of who the quarterback was. I don’t think he will repeat that mistake.

Doeren did, relatively speaking. I think it was 2019 when we absolutely dominated them during a 1-7 acc season. Sometimes programs have down years. The infuriating thing about this season was that the difference between a decent year and dumpster fire was the quarterback position and Dave wouldn’t acknowledge it after whiffing in the offseason, and Cam and Les were telling us not to believe our eyes. But Dave has done a good job and deserves the chance to fix this situation.

Love that Clawson owned his mistakes and am in the camp that believes he will right the ship, again, as he’s done in the past. The disheartening thing to me is that we probably could have gotten a good QB in the portal to come here and play with one of the more talented WR groups in the ACC along with solid/good RBs. Who wouldn’t buy that pitch after the numbers we have put up recently? And if we didn’t have the money to compete, Clawson’s job is to help find it. The OL isn’t great, far from it, but it’s not the mess it became when Mitch was in at QB. The downstream effects of Clawson covering for Mitch probably filtered into the defensive positions, and coaches/players have likely mailed it in by now. Not to say this is all because of Mitch, but bad QB play can spell ruin for an otherwise decent season.

Our D played well enough for us to win 2-3 more games so far this year. If we were sitting at this point in the season with 6-7 wins, we would be encouraged by the defense and probably not as concerned with losing key players in the offseason. Glad Dave is calling it like it is, but he’s about 7 games too late along with an inexplicable decision that led him to believe that we could play well with Griffis at QB. I believe what he took for granted was Sam’s ability to call plays at the LOS. The playcalling and QB evaluation deserves a failing grade. Hope he’s caught it quick enough to prevent some other areas from suffering the same.

Doeren did, relatively speaking. I think it was 2019 when we absolutely dominated them during a 1-7 acc season. Sometimes programs have down years. The infuriating thing about this season was that the difference between a decent year and dumpster fire was the quarterback position and Dave wouldn’t acknowledge it after whiffing in the offseason, and Cam and Les were telling us not to believe our eyes. But Dave has done a good job and deserves the chance to fix this situation.
Some of the reporters got caught up in all the sunshine talk in August. I don't think Clawson needs a megaphone for the pre-season sunshine pitch but he sure got one this year. One of the consequences of that hyperbole from staff and reporters is highly mismanaged expectations within the fan base. The objective reporting came from the far removed national media who after having never seen a practice, predicted a significant fall off with the loss of Hartman. The national media didn't pay attention to the positive staff reports either. Nor were they impressed by special access to the program. I don't want Lenox Rawlings back but I don't know that anyone wants a bouquet of roses from any reporters watching practices. And I wouldn't expect everyone to like this viewpoint either.

Back