• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Dave Clawson Credibility Watch

Les shouldn’t argue with those who subscribe to his site. But he provides a lot of good information. He gave info that Griffis was accurate in camp. He’s still accurate. He just can’t or won’t get a pass off. Griffis had done nothing but practice for 3 years except for the VMI game. That’s a long time since his high school games. He was rusty as hell when he got in the heat of battle and it was too fast for him both mentally and physically. Although he’s in his 4th year, he’s a freshman as far as competing in the ACC. A rusty freshman at that. Clawson bet the house on him succeeding and apparently couldn’t sign a good QB recruit because Mitch was heir apparent to Sam’s job. It has cost us a year, but Hecklinski is really good and hopefully will sign in December and enroll in January. If the staff can get the blessing of Hecklinski, it will likely sign a one year QB from the portal to compete with him for the starting job. Kern might come back to compete for it. Idk enough about Charlie or Mizell to know if they are talented enough to compete, but one was lightly recruited and the other is a preferred walk on.
I was hoping to stay away from your feud with windy but this post is a dumbass post. Clawson chose the wrong dude and screwed up. Les is more worried about losing access than asking real questions. I hope the food is good in the press box. Anything else? I figure next years QB is not on the roster, I imagine the folks selling season tickets are hoping for the same thing.

Hope to see you at the Myrtle beach get together over Thanksgiving.

I was thinking 5 wins, 6 wins tops, and I have receipts. We'll see.
You said 6 (so did I)

Good point about Clawson never having to sustain a winning program— he always moved on. This is why I have said that Clawson always wanted to move on to a bigger program and never intended to be a lifer here. He never quite had the resume to pull that off, and this year sealed it.

He has sustained it. In his previous head coaching jobs, he was only there 3-5 years, built a winning program, and moved on.

At Wake he has had 6 consecutive winning seasons (not counting the Covid year), made 7 bowl games, won an ACC division championship.

I think that he did hope to stay at Wake for the remainder of his career. But NIL and the transfer portal quickly and totally changed the way that college football is structured. Now the question is whether Clawson can rebuild Wake to compete in the new reality of college football, or if he even wants to.

You said 6 (so did I)

Yeah, I got swayed by the positive vibes and went against my brain and that's why I don't gamble. Pretty sure I was talking a lower total in the thread.

I was hoping to stay away from your feud with windy but this post is a dumbass post. Clawson chose the wrong dude and screwed up. Les is more worried about losing access than asking real questions. I hope the food is good in the press box. Anything else? I figure next years QB is not on the roster, I imagine the folks selling season tickets are hoping for the same thing.

Hope to see you at the Myrtle beach get together over Thanksgiving.
You expect the WF beat writers to beat Clawson up? Did Country Dan do that to Grobe? Do the UNC beat writers do that to Mack? Hell no. What kind of tough questions were they supposed to ask during fall camp? They watched the practices and gave a lot of information that isn’t available anywhere else. What questions should they ask now?

You expect the WF beat writers to beat Clawson up? Did Country Dan do that to Grobe? Do the UNC beat writers do that to Mack? Hell no. What kind of tough questions were they supposed to ask during fall camp? They watched the practices and gave a lot of information that isn’t available anywhere else. What questions should they ask now?
Why has practice not transferred to the playing field? Why did he think the Line would be good but they are not. Why have the WRs been underwhelming (he started on this one last night). It’s not that damn difficult. I don’t blame the media if they are serving crab legs and shrimp up there.

Les shouldn’t argue with those who subscribe to his site. But he provides a lot of good information. He gave info that Griffis was accurate in camp. He’s still accurate. He just can’t or won’t get a pass off. Griffis had done nothing but practice for 3 years except for the VMI game. That’s a long time since his high school games. He was rusty as hell when he got in the heat of battle and it was too fast for him both mentally and physically. Although he’s in his 4th year, he’s a freshman as far as competing in the ACC. A rusty freshman at that. Clawson bet the house on him succeeding and apparently couldn’t sign a good QB recruit because Mitch was heir apparent to Sam’s job. It has cost us a year, but Hecklinski is really good and hopefully will sign in December and enroll in January. If the staff can get the blessing of Hecklinski, it will likely sign a one year QB from the portal to compete with him for the starting job. Kern might come back to compete for it. Idk enough about Charlie or Mizell to know if they are talented enough to compete, but one was lightly recruited and the other is a preferred walk on.
You’re right. You shouldn’t argue with people that subscribe to your site.

He has sustained it. In his previous head coaching jobs, he was only there 3-5 years, built a winning program, and moved on.

At Wake he has had 6 consecutive winning seasons (not counting the Covid year), made 7 bowl games, won an ACC division championship.

I think that he did hope to stay at Wake for the remainder of his career. But NIL and the transfer portal quickly and totally changed the way that college football is structured. Now the question is whether Clawson can rebuild Wake to compete in the new reality of college football, or if he even wants to.

When dust settles, there are going to be no more than 20 programs who can compete in this new reality of college football. Bama, Georgia, Texas, OU, A&M, ND, USC, tOSU, Michigan, Penn State, Clemson, FSU, Oregon, Washington, UCLA, Florida, Tenn are those programs in my opinion. Of those- Michigan, ND, Oregon, and Washington are only ones I see coming open in next few years that DC could be a candidate for and I wouldn’t fault DC for taking any of them. I for one could see him just retiring and calling it quits period. He seems like kinda guy who wants to do other things with his life.

When dust settles, there are going to be no more than 20 programs who can compete in this new reality of college football. Bama, Georgia, Texas, OU, A&M, ND, USC, tOSU, Michigan, Penn State, Clemson, FSU, Oregon, Washington, UCLA, Florida, Tenn are those programs in my opinion. Of those- Michigan, ND, Oregon, and Washington are only ones I see coming open in next few years that DC could be a candidate for and I wouldn’t fault DC for taking any of them. I for one could see him just retiring and calling it quits period. He seems like kinda guy who wants to do other things with his life.

None of those teams are sniffing Clawson after this season’s debacle. Hell, Virginia Tech fans revolted when Clawson was mentioned as a candidate, and that was when his stock was at its highest.

This has been a thought of mine well before this season went off the rails. The current gig of a college fb coach is not remotely what Clawson and similarly like-minded guys signed up for.

Shocking that you don't understand the idea of journalists holding people accountable.

Back