• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Dave Clawson Credibility Watch

those are just nicer ways to say they have dudes and we don't

Dudes and dudettes. Women’s soccer underwhelmed against a bad schedule. Women’s volleyball is falling apart down the stretch. Women’s hoops is awful even for Wake standards. It’s a program wide problem. Maybe this is an argument for the Currie credibility thread. All these facilities aren’t helping the product on the field/court.

Dudes and dudettes. Women’s soccer underwhelmed against a bad schedule. Women’s volleyball is falling apart down the stretch. Women’s hoops is awful even for Wake standards. It’s a program wide problem. Maybe this is an argument for the Currie credibility thread. All these facilities aren’t helping the product on the field/court.
Yeah, I was thinking about that same thing. Currie appears to have been a big upgrade over Ronnie, but where are the results?

There are 71 register OGBoards posters online right now.

If just 1/3 of those joined at $10/month, we'd see a solid increase in total memberships.

I appreciate these efforts but here is my belief. With no NIL cap and public disclosures we are pissing in the wind. You talking about ten bucks a month. FSU is laughing. And we are so far behind. Serious question. Forget Alabama and Ohio State, what do you believe is the total of NIL money FSU has raised already. I believe it’s in the tens of millions. Wake people aren’t stupid. My ten bucks a month isn’t going to change the projection of college football a whit without rules in place.

I appreciate these efforts but here is my belief. With no NIL cap and public disclosures we are pissing in the wind. You talking about ten bucks a month. FSU is laughing. And we are so far behind. Serious question. Forget Alabama and Ohio State, what do you believe is the total of NIL money FSU has raised already. I believe it’s in the tens of millions. Wake people aren’t stupid. My ten bucks a month isn’t going to change the projection of college football a whit without rules in place.
That's the problem, there is no way we can even begin to keep up with the larger schools with no cap. The NCAA has got to do something, giving programs free reign to raise and spend unlimited dollars is just not fair. There are caps in pro sports for goodness sake.

That's the problem, there is no way we can even begin to keep up with the larger schools with no cap. The NCAA has got to do something, giving programs free reign to raise and spend unlimited dollars is just not fair. There are caps in pro sports for goodness sake.

Yeah, we need THE NCAA to come solve all our problems !!!!!

Two things no one will ever adequately know:
1) How every coach and reporter saw no cracks in the fundamentals that make for success at QB when it came to practice performance by Griffis---such things as the intangibles (decision-making, leadership, capacity for intense pressure) and tangibles (speed, height, vision, throwing action, footwork).
2) Why it took so long for Clawson and Ruggiero to move away from Griffis after reasonable critics learned Griffis did not have adequate fundamental traits to succeed as QB for WF in the slow mesh RPO offense.

I believe Clawson can change his approach to practice evaluations to try to avoid #1 and it still may make no difference given a repeat of the same situation. Nonetheless, a change in approach to evals is most likely needed. Something must be missing.

For #2 that is on Clawson 100% and there really is no explanation sufficiently explanatory for my ears. Was Clawson under some self-imposed pressure not to let an old head coach down by yanking his son? Doubtful but who knows what kept the blinders on for so long. Is it harder to yank your highest NIL paid athlete? Was it a complete distrust of Marucci after starting him an entire game, a game which was won? It can't be that simple and straightforward. Amongst the mind trust in the coaching staff there was clearly something going on that defies explanation. WF had the talent to win 6 or 7 ACC games this year with earlier recognition of Griffis's shortcomings.

Clawson has made it clear that the goal was to start Kern after VPI, but he got hurt. Now that probably took too long for most people's liking, but he's gone on the record of saying that.

The answer to everything else posited is not some conspiracy theory - it's that they believed Griffis gave Wake the best chance to win. Once again, people clearly disagree with that, but it's obviously the most common sense answer.

What we should have heard from our stalwart reporters….for the tenth practice, the defense dominated the offense. And begs the question. Why didn’t we read/hear that.
If you go back and read the reports from this past summer, word was that the O and D were pretty close to even. Some days the offense would be better. Other days the defense would be better. This was from both the reporters and the coaching staff. Griffis was playing as QB1 all camp. The massive surprise was Griffis's "stage fright." When the hitting got real, he suddenly couldn't do what he had been doing in practice last spring, summer 23 and part of summer 22 when he had to get ready to replace Sam who was out with the medical issue.

I have no idea how Griffis had this issue and how all the coaches missed it. I sincerely doubt one coach had one opinion and others had another. Something changed between summer camp this year and the actual games this season.

Because Mitch Griffis won the QB1 job to replace Sam, and is just a sophomore for football eligibility, the two younger guys (Brett Griffis and Billy Edwards) bailed. Kern apparently was willing to be QB2 for the remainder of his years at Wake. Maybe he doesn't see a pro football future for himself and wants the Wake Forest degree.

Marucci had been moved to linebacker or safety or somewhere not QB because he apparently is pretty athletic. However, as a QB, he was evaluated to not be as accurate a passer as the others. That is a very big issue for the staff.

You are correct, one member giving isn't going to matter. In our model, the goal is raise $X from monthly memberships, $X from local businesses, $X from major donors, and $X from events/other. Our membership numbers are low and will never be what an FSU is. We make up for it in other areas.

To clarify. Wake via The Deacon Club has competed very well against other clubs in our conference. There are tax records on non profits. The current state of affairs is just ridiculous. We are in Ponzi scheme territory. We should be able to watch TV and announcers say Today it’s Wake Forest against Clemson. Clemson has 90 Million in Nil money. Wake has 20 million. I think Vegas gonna drop betting on college football because everything is hidden.

Clawson has made it clear that the goal was to start Kern after VPI, but he got hurt. Now that probably took too long for most people's liking, but he's gone on the record of saying that.

The answer to everything else posited is not some conspiracy theory - it's that they believed Griffis gave Wake the best chance to win. Once again, people clearly disagree with that, but it's obviously the most common sense answer.
Do you think that a fresh set of eyes could be beneficial in the talent evaluation process?

I look at Louisville who went 8-5 last year and lost their coach and their starting QB. But when Brohm came in, he looked at what was on hand and brought in 3 transfer QBs. Now the team is going to the conference championship in his first season. Interestingly enough Jake Plummer previously transferred away from Brohm when he couldn’t beat out Aidan O’Connell.

For the most part Wakes offensive coaching staff has been pretty consistent with the exception of the change at WR coach this year. Could this perhaps be something that went into the group think going into this season?

You are correct, one member giving isn't going to matter. In our model, the goal is raise $X from monthly memberships, $X from local businesses, $X from major donors, and $X from events/other. Our membership numbers are low and will never be what an FSU is. We make up for it in other areas.

You missed the point. Tell us the number we need to compete. You can’t because it’s unknown. If you tell us it’s going to take x million we can work with that. We have always out hit our membership. But there is a point where it’s fruitless. Without caps and especially disclosure It is fruitless.

Who is more credible: Clawson or Forbes? Please show your work.
Clawson, easily.

He made it to an ACC Championship game. Produced multiple elite offenses that were tops amongst almost any team nationally. Ranked inside the top-10 nationally two seasons in a row. He has a winning record in bowl games. His teams have generally been fun to watch, this year excluded.

Forbes has no championship appearances, no teams that have ranked nationally in any category, and has yet to reach the NCAA postseason.

I see a world where 85 scholarships means we just raise 85 million. Million per each. It’s egalitarian and that’s what I would do to keep my team together. Programs pay ex coaches 60 million. Not a problem.

A fresh set of eyes isn't going to help in the recruiting of a QB for 2024 as almost every FBS level HS QB has already committed (formal signing day is less than a month away), WF has a commitment from Jeremy Hecklinski from that class. The transfer portal opens in 14 days, and WF isn't going to hire a new OC before that fiasco starts; so, like it or not, the current staff will be responsible for rebuilding the QB room for the 2024 season.

Do you think that a fresh set of eyes could be beneficial in the talent evaluation process?

I look at Louisville who went 8-5 last year and lost their coach and their starting QB. But when Brohm came in, he looked at what was on hand and brought in 3 transfer QBs. Now the team is going to the conference championship in his first season. Interestingly enough Jake Plummer previously transferred away from Brohm when he couldn’t beat out Aidan O’Connell.

For the most part Wakes offensive coaching staff has been pretty consistent with the exception of the change at WR coach this year. Could this perhaps be something that went into the group think going into this season?
I think this year has been a wake up call to the staff for sure, and expect them to address the QB position as a number one priority in the off-season/portal.

If we are sitting here a year from now at 5-6 and still see terrible QB play, then I would expect something to change.

Interesting to me that being ranked in the top 10 last year is seen as such a positive, despite the crater to end the year. I view the Military Bowl season and the Belk Bowl seasons as far bigger successes than last year.

Interesting to me that being ranked in the top 10 last year is seen as such a positive, despite the crater to end the year. I view the Military Bowl season and the Belk Bowl seasons as far bigger successes than last year.
Clawson's teams always get worse as the year goes on, never better

Back