• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Deacs v. Spiders Game Thread

We all watched this team last season. What did you think was going to happen? But I tell you what, we have less talent this year than last year and we're a much better team. That makes me think we're on the right track.

I can't predict the future. All my opinion. But Dukes never looked like a PG, couldn't handle the ball well IMO. Dukes was playing behind a more talented Wake roster, would Fields be in Dukes positions when he was at Wake? Who knows, maybe. But I think Fields looks good. Fast, under control, and knows how to get people the ball. Can run an offense under control. Still needs to work on shooting though, once he can start getting in the lane (if?) he could become a good player. Its up to the coaching staff to help Fields maturate. I think they can, if you disagree thats fine, its just my opinion

Agree. Joe Dukes was just out there to find a shot somewhere. He was not a passer, not a court visionaire, not an excellent stroker. He was not as quick. Strickland33, I don't see how you can think Field's ceiling is honestly Joe Dukes.

We all watched this team last season. What did you think was going to happen? But I tell you what, we have less talent this year than last year and we're a much better team. That makes me think we're on the right track.

I mostly agree there are still discipline issues which make me weary to fully get on board with this statement

I was at the game so I am just now reading this thread. This post seems particularly ridiculous:

Last year we lose this game by 30.

We lost to them by 12 @ Richmond last year. That was a much better Richmond team. I think we are better than we were last year, but clearly this year's Richmond team is not a good match-up for our talent or our coach. Never seen such effective half time adjustments as Mooney's.

The move to the press was a good one, but hardly compensates for us getting all of 2 or 3 uncontested shots in the first 10 minutes of the second half. The offense at the end of the game was also horrifically bad. The possession at the 1:30-2:00 minute mark was particularly awful. No movement, and CJ ended up taking a contested jump shot for 2 after we burned 20+ seconds off the clock.

Richmond was far more physical than we were. We seemed bothered by the ref's reluctance to call fouls in the first half. A lot of fouls on both ends that did not get called in the first; the refs let them play and Richmond took advantage. By not going to the FT line at all in the first half, we missed out on enough points to give us a shot to win at the end.

IMO, the key to winning is not whether CJ or McKie get 20 a piece, it's whether or not Chase and Carson chip in 10 each. That was the difference at Nebraska. We simply don't have the talent to win when we don't play at a high level.

Not gonna read back through the game thread....but holy fuck those refs were so damn bad. I've never seen more travels go uncalled.

Richmond was far more physical than we were. We seemed bothered by the ref's reluctance to call fouls in the first half. A lot of fouls on both ends that did not get called in the first; the refs let them play and Richmond took advantage. By not going to the FT line at all in the first half, we missed out on enough points to give us a shot to win at the end.

IMO, the key to winning is not whether CJ or McKie get 20 a piece, it's whether or not Chase and Carson chip in 10 each. That was the difference at Nebraska. We simply don't have the talent to win when we don't play at a high level.

Very astute point.

Not gonna read back through the game thread....but holy fuck those refs were so damn bad. I've never seen more travels go uncalled.

The two bald refs were beyond horrendous. A couple of times the ref with hair looked at them like, "no you fucktard that's the wrong call".

They were horrible. The offensive rim interference call that they didn't pick up and the time they reset the shot clock for Richmond after CJ bobbled the ball out of bounds were particularly bad.

I was at the game so I am just now reading this thread. This post seems particularly ridiculous:

We lost to them by 12 @ Richmond last year. That was a much better Richmond team. I think we are better than we were last year, but clearly this year's Richmond team is not a good match-up for our talent or our coach. Never seen such effective half time adjustments as Mooney's.

The move to the press was a good one, but hardly compensates for us getting all of 2 or 3 uncontested shots in the first 10 minutes of the second half. The offense at the end of the game was also horrifically bad. The possession at the 1:30-2:00 minute mark was particularly awful. No movement, and CJ ended up taking a contested jump shot for 2 after we burned 20+ seconds off the clock.

Agree with your observations. We clearly do not have a quick strike offensive possession in our arsenal. Today we could have pushed the ball inside against Richmond and did not do it. I realize we do not have any strong bigs, but the matchup D was stymieing our perimeter players. The offense bogged down, shots didnt fall, and we didnt get to the line. CJ can create some, but he cant do it on his own. Travis came to play against his hometown school, but his teammates didnt show up, especially early. The lack of intensity shown for the first 30 minutes is inexcusable. Chase can not create an offensive opportunity or score off the bounce. He must have his feet set and time to release. It was not there today and his line reflects it. The staff needs to be sure we are ready to play. They didnt and we werent. There arent so many games in a season that should ever happen.

They were horrible. The offensive rim interference call that they didn't pick up and the time they reset the shot clock for Richmond after CJ bobbled the ball out of bounds were particularly bad.

It looked like from my angle that CJ had established possession before he went OB so I could understand that call, but the basket interference they allowed on the And 1 was incomprehensible to me. That was a time to earn a T if there ever is one ... especially with the team so flat.

The two bald refs were beyond horrendous. A couple of times the ref with hair looked at them like, "no you fucktard that's the wrong call".

Yeah and then there was the call where Williams (#34 aka tractor trailer lookin boi) just shot the ball out of bounds and was probably fouled by Nikita. The baseline ref called it correctly (it was right in front of us, Nikita never came close to touching the ball) and the C official came sprinting in to overturn him. That was so bad

It looked like from my angle that CJ had established possession before he went OB so I could understand that call, but the basket interference they allowed on the And 1 was incomprehensible to me. That was a time to earn a T if there ever is one ... especially with the team so flat.

Agreed. Not only did [Redacted] not get a T, he wasn't even talking. He just stood there with his arms crossed.

The guy basically did a chin up on the rim with both hands and they still counted the basket.

Agree with your observations. We clearly do not have a quick strike offensive possession in our arsenal. Today we could have pushed the ball inside against Richmond and did not do it. I realize we do not have any strong bigs, but the matchup D was stymieing our perimeter players. The offense bogged down, shots didnt fall, and we didnt get to the line. CJ can create some, but he cant do it on his own. Travis came to play against his hometown school, but his teammates didnt show up, especially early. The lack of intensity shown for the first 30 minutes is inexcusable. Chase can not create an offensive opportunity or score off the bounce. He must have his feet set and time to release. It was not there today and his line reflects it. The staff needs to be sure we are ready to play. They didnt and we werent. There arent so many games in a season that should ever happen.

Do you have any insight into why Tony and Nikita take it upon themselves to muck-up the offense?

There was a play today that looked like it was run for Travis, where Nikita actually got the ball, jacked up a three, and missed it. Travis got the rebound and put-back, but I could have sworn that the play was run for Travis instead.

Same goes for a few times where TC passed up open looks to CJ and Chase and took it to the hole himself. I get that TC isn't really a PG, but there's a difference between bad court vision and just generally bad instincts. TC seems to have a unique combination of both of these without anything resembling a shooting stroke to make up for it..

Agreed. Not only did [Redacted] not get a T, he wasn't even talking. He just stood there with his arms crossed.

The guy basically did a chin up on the rim with both hands and they still counted the basket.

On which one? On TV, they showed him yelling at a Reff for one of those calls. There was a very clear shot of Bz yelling "That's bullshit."

On which one? On TV, they showed him yelling at a Reff for one of those calls. There was a very clear shot of Bz yelling "That's bullshit."

The announcers commented that Buzz was livid after the missed call on the basket interference.

Do you have any insight into why Tony and Nikita take it upon themselves to muck-up the offense?

There was a play today that looked like it was run for Travis, where Nikita actually got the ball, jacked up a three, and missed it. Travis got the rebound and put-back, but I could have sworn that the play was run for Travis instead.

Same goes for a few times where TC passed up open looks to CJ and Chase and took it to the hole himself. I get that TC isn't really a PG, but there's a difference between bad court vision and just generally bad instincts. TC seems to have a unique combination of both of these without anything resembling a shooting stroke to make up for it..

I dont know how to respond to this other than to say that it is not their intent to disrupt the offensive flow, but they are playing to the best of their abilities (meaning I dont see much upside to either one beyond what we have today) and that they are relying on the style of play that got them to this point (which doesnt mesh smoothly with the offensive strategy of the team). I cant disagree with your observation, but we dont have much better options right now.

I dont know how to respond to this other than to say that it is not their intent to disrupt the offensive flow, but they are playing to the best of their abilities (meaning I dont see much upside to either one beyond what we have today) and that they are relying on the style of play that got them to this point (which doesnt mesh smoothly with the offensive strategy of the team). I cant disagree with your observation, but we dont have much better options right now.

I'm just wondering how the staff is addressing this... It's getting really bad. But thank you, nonetheless.

Back