• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Deacs v. Spiders Game Thread

RECRUITING

There are four players in North Carolina with whom we are involved.

Freeman, Gill, Meeks, and McClinton. We need to sign some people.

Chenault definitely needs to go and maybe Green and Fields.

We have to recognize that this is the least talent WAKE has ever put on the floor. Ever.

I can see why you would want Chennault gone, but Fields has done a good job so far running the offense. If you notice, when he was in Wake went on a run today. Green needs to bulk up, he won't be a huge contributor for a year or two though. After the turmoil Wake has gone through, you can't just expect to get a new coach and have all this turmoil and just start signing 4 and 5 stars all of a sudden. The coach must build up, continue to recruit better players each year. 2012 recruiting class looks like there are some good pieces, now [Redacted] needs to get a couple of top 100 type kids that fits Wake's persona in 2013, NC has some talent like you said. Its painful, definitely. The talent level isn't what anyone is accustomed to, but lets all hope that it can be build upon. The foundation is laid, and lets hope a real nice program can be built from it. Criticize all you want, but while its rough trying to stick with Wake and hope for the best, regardless of how painful it is. If [Redacted] can't continue to recruit talented players, and get the most out of them on the court he won't be around a long time. Things will shake themselves out, lets all hope for the best and get behind Wake though its tough to watch

I am sure that Coach K or Roy could get more out of this team b/c they are hall of famers. We do have some solid players as you mentioned. But there is no way on earth that this team has the talent to be a top 15 team, I don't care who is coaching. We don't have the inside game at all necessary to compete with the elite consistently. Our pg play is sub-par at best. We have 8 scholarship players on our roster which is unheard of. I sincerely believe we are heading in the right direction, though it isn't going as fast as any of us would like.

Forgive me. I didn't mean to imply that we would be top 15. Simply that other coaches could get more production an wins then we have seen since buzz came

We shot well from the line today and seemed to be in good condition. I'm trying to find the knock on Buzz in your post. Did I miss it?

I used his pet name.. A non halfway intelligent coach

I am sure that Coach K or Roy could get more out of this team b/c they are hall of famers. We do have some solid players as you mentioned. But there is no way on earth that this team has the talent to be a top 15 team, I don't care who is coaching. We don't have the inside game at all necessary to compete with the elite consistently. Our pg play is sub-par at best. We have 8 scholarship players on our roster which is unheard of. I sincerely believe we are heading in the right direction, though it isn't going as fast as any of us would like.

K, not Roy. Roy is a joke of a coach who is very good at getting future-NBA All-Stars year after year and I'll stand by that. Kentucky knew his end-game inside-out and Cal absolutely obliterated him on the sidelines today.

Yep. I'm a horrible fan.

Continue to be satisfied by something that can only be described as sub-mediocre from the head coach and think of yourself as a super fan. It's working.

We showed up flat today before exam week. K's team showed up flat against Ohio St. It happens to every college, and most professional teams several times per season, even in the NFL. It is NOT something to call "sub-mediocre from the head coach..." Garbage-speak. This game is not on Buzz. This one is on 3 guys who showed up flat footed, namely TC, Chase and Carson. They didn't come to play tonight. Skip's teams seemingly always had bad games the weekend before exams. John Thompson refused to play meaningful games in late November and December. Maybe not a bad idea.

I can see why you would want Chennault gone, but Fields has done a good job so far running the offense. If you notice, when he was in Wake went on a run today. Green needs to bulk up, he won't be a huge contributor for a year or two though. After the turmoil Wake has gone through, you can't just expect to get a new coach and have all this turmoil and just start signing 4 and 5 stars all of a sudden. The coach must build up, continue to recruit better players each year. 2012 recruiting class looks like there are some good pieces, now [Redacted] needs to get a couple of top 100 type kids that fits Wake's persona in 2013, NC has some talent like you said. Its painful, definitely. The talent level isn't what anyone is accustomed to, but lets all hope that it can be build upon. The foundation is laid, and lets hope a real nice program can be built from it. Criticize all you want, but while its rough trying to stick with Wake and hope for the best, regardless of how painful it is. If [Redacted] can't continue to recruit talented players, and get the most out of them on the court he won't be around a long time. Things will shake themselves out, lets all hope for the best and get behind Wake though its tough to watch

Okay, for the last time: What has Fields done/what do you see in him that suggests he'll be better than Joe Dukes as a high-major ACC point guard?

Look at the recruiting thread, but Newell is rumored to want to transfer to Wake after a solid start at Oklahoma. He's an athletic combo-guard from Charlotte via Philly who was recruited by Capel.

Thanks

Most new coaches get a recruiting bump. See Gottfried at NC State. With Buzz we got a multi-year hangover.

I mean, I'm not interested in talking about excuses about exams or any BS. I don't care about any of that.

Bzz coached a good game, outside of that blown timeout. That's a fact. He adapted to our flat-footedness and he put us in the position to win on a few occasions after being down 51-29!

Most new coaches get a recruiting bump. See Gottfried at NC State. With Buzz we got a multi-year hangover.

I'll knit you a sweater if Gottfried doesn't have sanctions/recruiting violations in a year.

* or if he hasn't slept with one of his players' GFs...

fair enough. I don't normally think about that, but I see your point. I guess at the time he came in, it was not the most opportune time. Not making any excuses, I would have liked to seen different recruits. But Wake got what they got, and lets roll with it and hope for the best

I believe the knock on Gottfried is that he bangs Coeds.

Okay, for the last time: What has Fields done/what do you see in him that suggests he'll be better than Joe Dukes as a high-major ACC point guard?

With the team we throw out, I want Fields playing. And even with more talented guards coming in next year, I want an upperclassman pushing them in practice/for playing time

I can't predict the future. All my opinion. But Dukes never looked like a PG, couldn't handle the ball well IMO. Dukes was playing behind a more talented Wake roster, would Fields be in Dukes positions when he was at Wake? Who knows, maybe. But I think Fields looks good. Fast, under control, and knows how to get people the ball. Can run an offense under control. Still needs to work on shooting though, once he can start getting in the lane (if?) he could become a good player. Its up to the coaching staff to help Fields maturate. I think they can, if you disagree thats fine, its just my opinion

Back