• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Decision Analysis: 1st and Goal at WFU 1, Down 3, 0:29 Left

I think if you asked the players, they'd want to keep the shutout and try to hold them instead of giving up points.

I feel bad for BC. They look like our best teams without Skinner and with the opposite of Swank.

Coaches who listen to the players in these type of situations will often find themselves unemployed rather quickly.

It's interesting that BC's spike attempt was too late for another reason as well: In college football now you cannot spike a ball to stop the clock with less than 3 seconds left in the game. So even if BC had spiked it still with a second left, it would've been a penalty and I'm guessing a mandatory runoff of the time remaining. The thing that iced the game was the BC runner's continued effort to push into the EZ. Wow.

It was a really bad decision. At most we would have lined up into punt formation with 15 seconds left. Take the safety and you are taking your free kick with 10 or less seconds left. They would have had the return and at most one play.

We got cute and it nearly cost us the game. Lucky as hell.

It was a really bad decision. At most we would have lined up into punt formation with 15 seconds left. Take the safety and you are taking your free kick with 10 or less seconds left. They would have had the return and at most one play.

Not sure three running plays constitutes getting cute. Safety means a FG wins. I don't fault the play calling. Plus with third and short, a three yard play wins it. I have spent years on this board disappointed with Grobe's uber conservative offense. Surely we can run the ball and not expect our running back to fall down on a guy who is not even actively tackling him and not fumble off his knee?!

BTW kudos to the defense. It is clear our coaches literally expected NOTHING from our offense and we won by 3 points. Thank goodness BC expected (and got) even less from their offense than we did.

Them kicking a fg to win is almost impossible. We would be free kicking with 10 secs left or less

It's interesting that BC's spike attempt was too late for another reason as well: In college football now you cannot spike a ball to stop the clock with less than 3 seconds left in the game. So even if BC had spiked it still with a second left, it would've been a penalty and I'm guessing a mandatory runoff of the time remaining. The thing that iced the game was the BC runner's continued effort to push into the EZ. Wow.

Yeah, I heard the announcers talking about that new rule.

What in the hell is the rationale behind that? No spiking with under 3 seconds? Why?

I fundamentally disagree with putting points on the board for the other team on purpose.

What in the hell is the rationale behind that? No spiking with under 3 seconds? Why?

I don't like the spike rule anyway, its not a football play. Used to the Qb with just throw one over the receivers head on the sideline to stop the clock.

I fundamentally disagree with putting points on the board for the other team on purpose.

If it is 4th down from own 5 yard line with 15 seconds left you are definitely better off taking a safety up 3. Not close. Even though Kinal is great he could always only have a 30 yard net punt. More can go wrong on a punt than a free kick.

Never mind that you can waste quite a bit of time by running around the end zone. If you take the safety there, the game is effectively over. If you punt, there is a wide range of things that can happen, most of them negative.

See UNC - UT Music Bowl 2009. Rule came out of this game.

There was still like a minute left when we fumbled, right?

Yeah, BC took over with 0:56 post fumble. If Colburn had been tackled it would have run to about :15 seconds - BC was out of timeouts.

Yeah, I just don't agree. Punt deep and to the sideline.

Don't back yourself up to the endzone and then take a safety.

Let's hope the coaching against Carowhina is enough to keep us in the ball game as a 14 point underdog.

Back