• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Decision Analysis: 1st and Goal at WFU 1, Down 3, 0:29 Left

http://www.bostonglobe.com/sports/2...wake-forest/Ihko2mvoKnNsyj82LvFebJ/story.html

But after junior running back Tyler Rouse was held to no gain, the Eagles were unable to get another play off as the final 21 seconds ran off the clock before both teams could get set and Smith could spike the ball to stop the clock.

“When I saw [Rouse] wasn’t getting in, then I thought, ‘OK, we’re going to kick it here and go to overtime,’ ’’ Addazio said. “In my wildest dreams, I didn’t see 20-some-odd seconds draining off the clock like that.’’

Even if Smith had succeeded in stopping the clock with one second left, NCAA rules dictate a minimum of three seconds are required for the clock to be stopped by a spiked ball. But that was a moot point when officials reviewed the play and determined time had indeed expired before the ball had been spiked.

Can't believe Addazio would admit that.

The clock was down to 18 seconds before they snapped the ball on the Rouse run. With essentially a free timeout at 29 seconds for the measurement, instead of being ready to run a play when the clock started they were in the huddle talking it over. Addazio failed to mention the 11 seconds they unbelievably wasted there.

Last edited:
Not spiking the ball on 1st and goal, immediately after the measurement, makes zero sense.

Or how about just calling a play during the measurement and having three cracks at it in 29 seconds before kicking a short FG?

This game was very similar to the 3-2 Auburn-Mississippi State game a few years back. While the losing team in that one (MSU) was the one who gained very little yardage (like Wake did), the stats are pretty similar across the board. I believe most people referred to that as a defensive masterpiece - not many comments to that effect on this one.

Back