• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Delaware State Thread

Is nerdiness genetic, or is it learned behavior?

Last edited:
Well it was good of you to give him all of November of his first season to get this program completely turned around.

Where did I say I gave up on him? The recruiting is better. The offense has looked better (aside from last night). Rebounding has been better. But we were going to struggle to have a winning record this year given the tough schedule... Losing to teams like Delaware State means my expectations are probably now something like 13-18 instead of 16-15. That's not going to fire people up. It's not going to convince me we are on the right track. The bloom is off the Rose... That's all I'm saying.

One thing that really annoyed me last night was that down the stretch when we were really struggling to score, instead of playing to our strengths on offense, we seemed to go to the things we do the worst... Long, off-balance Codi jump shots, Rountree jumpers, Dinos dribbling, Madison driving too far into the lane and having no options. Not encouraging. And the free throw shooting... Just awful when it mattered. Felt the like refs gave us the benefit of some questionable calls and then we bricked important free throws.

Just venting... No real point.

You must have a very short memory, or must not realize that Pomeroy's metrics are meaningless this early in the season.

We suck, but bzz had worse losses.

I didn't watch the second half thankfully. Sounds like we shit the bed. It's funny to see people turning on the Super 7.
*Sensational Seven

Who came up with that nickname? Woof, worst nickname ever. Up there with Matty Ice and Big Game James Shields.

they gave themselves that nickname.

right before making THE PACT.

This was a horrific loss. Stetson was the first game of the season and one of the worst, youngest rosters in the history of college bball. This one ranks up with one of the worst ever.

Still, I am happy to take a step or two back this year, to move forward in the long term. Something is clearly going on between DT and DM. And it was probably needed. It is great to have a great motor and fight every possession (god knows those guys are hard to come by), but you still have to learn to play under control and not let things get under your skin. Or get kicked out or foul out for a T late in a game. DT has been showboating for a while and needs to tone that down a bit. I suspect there is a steep learning curve for all these guys on how to play winning bball at this level. Mentally, I think we are extremely weak, and the busy schedule is one thing DM is doing to throw us into the fire. I think he knows this is a throw away year, and he is building his foundation with his stamp. Ain't no shortcuts, and if it were easy and could be learned overnight, everyone would be mentally tough enough to win championships. Clawson and DM are moving us in the right direction. Gonna be painful. But that VT win looks a little better after last night. VT is not terrible, and our D played one helluva a tough game. And everyone fought and fought and fought, even with lesser talent. DC is getting there. DM needs more time. I expect we may be a tough out by February. About all we can hope for this year. Otherwise, it will be a rollercoaster. We didn't get to the bottom overnight.... I was very hopeful after seeing some nice glimpses early, but it is going to be a rough ride.

This was a horrific loss. Stetson was the first game of the season and one of the worst, youngest rosters in the history of college bball. This one ranks up with one of the worst ever.

Still, I am happy to take a step or two back this year, to move forward in the long term. Something is clearly going on between DT and DM. And it was probably needed. It is great to have a great motor and fight every possession (god knows those guys are hard to come by), but you still have to learn to play under control and not let things get under your skin. Or get kicked out or foul out for a T late in a game. DT has been showboating for a while and needs to tone that down a bit. I suspect there is a steep learning curve for all these guys on how to play winning bball at this level. Mentally, I think we are extremely weak, and the busy schedule is one thing DM is doing to throw us into the fire. I think he knows this is a throw away year, and he is building his foundation with his stamp. Ain't no shortcuts, and if it were easy and could be learned overnight, everyone would be mentally tough enough to win championships. Clawson and DM are moving us in the right direction. Gonna be painful. But that VT win looks a little better after last night. VT is not terrible, and our D played one helluva a tough game. And everyone fought and fought and fought, even with lesser talent. DC is getting there. DM needs more time. I expect we may be a tough out by February. About all we can hope for this year. Otherwise, it will be a rollercoaster. We didn't get to the bottom overnight.... I was very hopeful after seeing some nice glimpses early, but it is going to be a rough ride.

Excellent post

I went back thru the 2nd half this morning. In a crucial stretch of the 2nd half we literally had a lineup of Madison Jones - CMM - Rountree - Devin Thomas - Dinos on the floor against a team that has an elite shot blocking big but can't guard on the perimeter/3 point line at all.

I didn't watch this game mainly b/c I expected another big win yawner, but from reading the comments it seems that some posters, just like with some expectations of Clawson, expected a mere change in coaching to make profound changes instantly. While both our last FB and BB coaches were poor on game day, the biggest problem for both was their poor personnel, and that's a problem not fixed overnight. It can only be fixed by recruiting out of it, and then applying a better system and better game coaching. Both are long term projects.

As fans we've endured a lot of suffering the last 4-5 years, but we're going to have to suffer a little longer before the past regimes' effects are exhausted.

Back