• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Depressed club

I became pretty apathetic the season we played offensive strategy roulette each game. I don't even remember what season that was...like it matters.

Wellman pretty much has the reverse 12 step program down pat. I'm not ready to laugh at the situation though so I'm around step 9. Laughing at our futility is when you know you're at the bottom.

Really amazing that a team that looks like it will begin and end the season playing just terrible football had a 3 game period in the middle of the year where they looked pretty good.

shakes head.

State and Maryland are pretty bad.

Depressing is right. My only conclusion is that the fan base cares more about winning than most of the team. You would think that wouldn't be the case, but I cannot fathom how a team can come out as flat as this team does and "just doesn't show up." Maybe it's because Wake gets players that are more focused on a degree from Wake than winning football games. Our selling point - a great education and resume enhancer - may ironically result in an uninspired football team.

So is Syracuse, ULM and BC when we played them.

So we never looked pretty good, just decent enough to beat bad teams at home.

So we never looked pretty good, just decent enough to beat bad teams at home.

I disagree. I thought we looked pretty good for that 3 game stretch. A 15 and 24 point win over mediocre teams and playing a ranked team close on the road would seem to validate that.

For Ph to acknowledge that we looked pretty good in 3 games would mean that he would be indirectly giving some credit to the coaches and he can't do that.

Depressing is right. My only conclusion is that the fan base cares more about winning than most of the team. You would think that wouldn't be the case, but I cannot fathom how a team can come out as flat as this team does and "just doesn't show up." Maybe it's because Wake gets players that are more focused on a degree from Wake than winning football games. Our selling point - a great education and resume enhancer - may ironically result in an uninspired football team.
The tone is set by Grobe. The seniors carry it onto the field. It dawned on me who Grobe reminded me of while he was standing on the sidelines. Dick Crum. The old unc coach after Bill Dooley, who had the enthusiasm of a DMV worker.

I'll be there Saturday hoping that we pull off the upset of the century and if not, at least seeing one damn good team.

if you really want to be depressed just imagine how terrible we will be next year.

We came up with the genius wide split plan...that anyone could see is blitzable.

Blitz the wide gaps...Wake loss.

The problem wasn't the wide split plan, it was that when they figured it out, we didn't change to something else. Like we should have known the option wouldn't work the second series at BC, we were slow to learn to go back to standard splits vs 'cuse. But remember, it's the players fault.

Cheer up. Basketball season is right around the corner. Oh wait......

quick-sad.gif

Reactions: TBR
Syracuse was coming off a 56-0 shutout at the hands of Georgia Tech. Our deepest drive into Orange territory was the 32 yard line. This was the first Syracuse - in league shut-out since 1998.
Beginning this season, our head coach and his offensive coordinator came up with the genius plan to go to the option. Once they saw it was a disaster, as most knew it would be, we went to a one dimensional offense centered around a position player. Once he went down, the rest of our offense was totally lost.
This is yet another indictment of the lack of effectiveness and footboall IQ for our passive head coach and his shallow, perenially overmatched offensive coordinator.

For Ph to acknowledge that we looked pretty good in 3 games would mean that he would be indirectly giving some credit to the coaches and he can't do that.

I think 80% or even more credit should be given to the players for turning it around after the drubbing at Clemson. I'm pretty sure Grobe said, after that game, they were going apathetic, "hands off," and were not coaching as much that week going into State. So I think the players were the ones who put it on themself for that three game stretch.

Now, I have no explanation for the Cuse game.

Back