• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Depressed club

I think 80% or even more credit should be given to the players for turning it around after the drubbing at Clemson. I'm pretty sure Grobe said, after that game, they were going apathetic, "hands off," and were not coaching as much that week going into State. So I think the players were the ones who put it on themself for that three game stretch.

Now, I have no explanation for the Cuse game.

I do. The defense played very well. We made no offensive adjustments in the first or second half and lost. Simple as that. It wasn't a lack of effort. It was a failure of leadership. The players can tell the press they just didn't want it bad enough... that's a stock answer to the press. The bottom line is the offense was running plays east/west and the Cuse was all over it. It was an offensive mess. You hold a team to 13 at home and you win.

And just to throw this out there... the resurgence of Wake was credited to Elrod (because he supposedly was calling all the offensive plays) and everyone threw Lobo under the bus again. So, who do we fire after last week? Just wondering...

Apart from Camp, we simply do not have players on offense who play with an aggressive, take-no-prisoners attitude.

We have several such players on defense, but our offensive guys play with fear and insecurity. It seems like a long time since a rb or receiver broke multiple tackles and gave the appearance of refusing to go down. We tend to fall with the first touch. Is that coaching, effort or personality?

It's interesting how there's such a fine line between optimism/hope and depression/reality. I don't think we've actually been very good all season, but after Miami I had optimism. Now I'm back to reality. We're not very good. And a couple games to end the season won't change that. I have very mixed emotions about the idea of this team going to "a bowl game" with 6 wins. I stand by my mantra that how you play is better measurement of your quality than your won/lost record.

I don't know why anyone should have been optimistic after the Miami game. We lost another game that we should have won. How many times have we seen this before?

It's interesting how there's such a fine line between optimism/hope and depression/reality. I don't think we've actually been very good all season, but after Miami I had optimism. Now I'm back to reality. We're not very good. And a couple games to end the season won't change that. I have very mixed emotions about the idea of this team going to "a bowl game" with 6 wins. I stand by my mantra that how you play is better measurement of your quality than your won/lost record.

Miami is a marginal team with a HUGELY inflated record. NCSU is God awful. I've never been caught between optimism and depression.

We flat out suck with a highly overpaid staff mailing it in under the protection of an incompetent athletic department.

Apart from Camp, we simply do not have players on offense who play with an aggressive, take-no-prisoners attitude.

We have several such players on defense, but our offensive guys play with fear and insecurity. It seems like a long time since a rb or receiver broke multiple tackles and gave the appearance of refusing to go down. We tend to fall with the first touch. Is that coaching, effort or personality?

The players don't know what the hell they are doing because we are constantly changing the offense.

At Miami we played well enough to win. At 'cuse, the offense played like it missed it's wake up call. Syracuse played like a team that had it's back to the wall and 2 weeks to prepare. The coaches didn't change the blocking scheme which made Tanner scramble and panic. The coaches didn't use Josh Harris, who was gaining yards running north and south for once. The coaches never had the TE run a seam route to have the LBs take deeper drops. If an OL is getting beat, get him some help or replace him. Don't just yell at him on the sidelines and blame him to the press after the game your coaches lost.

Offensively, I agree (except for Camp--he is an exceptional player); however, I disagree on defense. Actually I think we are pretty good on defense. Although, not good enough to hold FSU to less than 60 or however many they want to score.

I feel bad for the depressed fans out there. You have a long way to go until rock bottom. I roared passed depression about 2 years ago and still haven't hit complete and total apathy....I think if I really bring my A game the rest of the year though that I can accomplish apathy.

I still have a crazy notion every once in a while to take interest in what is going on. Then Syracuse happens and I am snapped back into the real world.

I used to be hard core then Jeff [Redacted] rolled into town. Glad I have kids who play sports that let me focus my attention on them where I do get satisfaction watching unlike Wake sports.

We can't hold FSU back because the offense will go 3 and out multiple times. I predict 13-15 punts from Kinal.

The D is fine, but they will be dragging ass by halftime after spending 20+ minutes on the field in the first half.

And just to throw this out there... the resurgence of Wake was credited to Elrod (because he supposedly was calling all the offensive plays) and everyone threw Lobo under the bus again. So, who do we fire after last week? Just wondering...

Answer:

D) All of the above

I was at work Saturday and couldn't watch the Syracuse game, but I caught the re-broadcast last night on FOX Sports South (TWC 508). Now that I have seen it I can say, in effect, that what I was reading on this message board was a highly reliable description of just what was occurring on the field. The performance of our offense didn't register on any scale, save the Misery Index. Virtually no one contributed anything positive. The defense seemed to hold together to the end, with a notable contribution from Nikita, who always gives a great effort.
Tanner told Dan that we simply didn't want it enough. Brother Dave Gardner used to say, "Let those who don't want none, have memories of not gettin' any."

See you Saturday at noon for Florida State.

At Miami we played well enough to win. At 'cuse, the offense played like it missed it's wake up call. Syracuse played like a team that had it's back to the wall and 2 weeks to prepare. The coaches didn't change the blocking scheme which made Tanner scramble and panic. The coaches didn't use Josh Harris, who was gaining yards running north and south for once. The coaches never had the TE run a seam route to have the LBs take deeper drops. If an OL is getting beat, get him some help or replace him. Don't just yell at him on the sidelines and blame him to the press after the game your coaches lost.

If we played well enough to beat Miami we would have beaten Miami.

The offense didn't miss anything. They have sucked for most of the year. They played a little better when Grobo let Tanner and Camp play their game, but without Camp, we had no chance to do anything. Our offensive line is Pop Warner caliber.

We have our best lineman on the field (sadly) so replacing him with a weaker one isn't really going to help. We don't recruit or develop players very well.

If we played well enough to beat Miami we would have beaten Miami.

The offense didn't miss anything. They have sucked for most of the year. They played a little better when Grobo let Tanner and Camp play their game, but without Camp, we had no chance to do anything. Our offensive line is Pop Warner caliber.

We have our best lineman on the field (sadly) so replacing him with a weaker one isn't really going to help. We don't recruit or develop players very well.

So you're saying that our level of play at Miami was the same as 'cuse because the out comes were the same? Is a starter playing at 60% better than a backup, just because he started previous games. Sometimes you just have to call in a releive pitcher in some of these cases. At West Point, they teach the cadets, when in a high pressure situation, DO SOMETHING. Grobe and co. never adjusted to what syracuse was doing.

Back