• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Devin Thomas and ACC Officals

I kept thinking Kennard had some sort of elbow problem. He was constantly stretching his arm back and forth when he had the ball - right into our defenders.

35546123001_3621754221001_luke-kennard-interview-vs.jpg

Horrible, horrible 4th call on Devin and there were others (Plumlee dunk when he stepped out of bounds), but Manning needs to be more demonstrative with the officials. He falls right into the Gentleman Jim sideline demeanor that Wellman seems to so highly value. Skip and Clawson are the only Wake coaches in my 20 years of following the programs that seem to really get in the officials ear during games. This crap with Duke has gone on for decades, or as long as K has been there, and by and large our head coaches just sit there and take it.

Horrible, horrible 4th call on Devin and there were others (Plumlee dunk when he stepped out of bounds), but Manning needs to be more demonstrative with the officials. He falls right into the Gentleman Jim sideline demeanor that Wellman seems to so highly value. Skip and Clawson are the only Wake coaches in my 20 years of following the programs that seem to really get in the officials ear during games. This crap with Duke has gone on for decades, or as long as K has been there, and by and large our head coaches just sit there and take it.

I mean he yelled towards/at the refs for the majority of the first half. He got a pretty stern hand and talk from a couple of officials as well. Just because he's not jumping up and down/crying/cursing like Coach K doesn't mean he's not taking and getting his points across.

If he did what Coach K did last night then there is no doubt that he get a T.

When you're 6'10 and have the resume DM does, you don't have to show your ass to get your point across to the officials. Furthermore, I think he shows respect to get respect.

I forget who the call was on, but a technical was given for hanging on the rim when our player realized he was going to land on a Carolina player's head who had fallen beneath him (cost us the game).

I think Teachy I know it was warren moons head. It was 1st round acct and we wound up losing in ot

After last night, Kenard is officially added to the list of little white fuckers I hate that play for Duke.

Do you also have a list of little black fuckers you hate that play for Duke?

I forget who the call was on, but a technical was given for hanging on the rim when our player realized he was going to land on a Carolina player's head who had fallen beneath him (cost us the game).

I think Teachy I know it was warren moons head. It was 1st round acct and we wound up losing in ot

It was against UNC in the first round of the ACC Tourney in Atlanta. It was Charlie Thomas for Wake and the UNC player was Warren Martin. They changed the rule soon after that to allow players to hang on the rim in order to prevent potential injury. It was technically a correct call but I imagine that if the situation were reversed that it wouldn't have been called. As I recall, we were winning before that call.

Answer to that question is NO! Devin set his own standard when he was a freshman. One thing players need to understand is to never ever get into a contest with showing up an official. Simple as that. A player is never ever going to win that, no matter who the player is. But given what Devin has done over his career & he gets into a stare down competition with a top notch official who is not afraid of sticking a T on a player, end of story. Now that it also counts as a personal foul and one of your 5 total fouls towards disqualification, it really hurts and players have to learn to control their emotions from the junior high level on up. He has not. And in big games it costs us because he sits on the bench like last night for key stretches of the game.

This is the biggest load of horseshit I have read in a long time. I'm not doubting that it is true but it shouldn't be. These officials are grown men who are paid to be impartial referees in the game. It's not about them. Refs getting bent out of shape for getting "showed up" by a college kid is childish. They need to learn to control THEIR emotions, or find another job where they can be the center of attention.

A big part of the problem is that they allow the coaches to intimidate them and get away with completely inappropriate behavior (see Bobby Knight and Coach K). Then the refs take out their frustration at their impotence in dealing with the coaches on the players. It's like the guy who gets chewed out by his boss at work and comes home and takes it out on his kids or pets.

Back