• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Devin Thomas and ACC Officals

It really is a glaring double standard. Holding millionaire coaches to a different - much weaker - standard than amateur teenagers is complete hypocrisy.

Which is one reason why I no longer watch ANY Duke Basketball games, including Duke v. Wake. None. Did not watch Final 4 last year.

Give it a try - it is quite liberating.

Seems slightly odd that Devin says he was frustrated at himself, not the call... and then stares at an official. That makes no sense.

It makes no sense because it's a lie. He was angry at the official. He stared and barked at him. The official warned him no more. Devin continued. Devin received a technical.

Life isn't that complicated.

I didn't see Devin "bark" at the official, not did I see the official warn him about anything.

I didn't see Devin "bark" at the official, not did I see the official warn him about anything.

Just watch the replay. Totally obvious DT was upset with himself(or our guards who couldn't keep Kennard out of the lane the entire game). The look on his face was more resignation than anger.

Just watch the replay. Totally obvious DT was upset with himself(or our guards who couldn't keep Kennard out of the lane the entire game). The look on his face was more resignation than anger.

That's exactly what I saw. Nothing that would warrant a technical other than inadvertently bruising the ego of a grown ass man.

Again, reality. If people in charge of something tell you to stop doing something, stop. All of these people getting shot by cops have one thing in common... had they done what the people in charge told them to do, they wouldn't have gotten shot. Same is true here.

This is one bizarre analogy.

What has the ref ever reffed? I ref at the very top level a major intercollegiate sport. I am expected to be professional and unbiased. Taking pejorative action against a player because of past actions is the definition of bias.

I watched the foul call on DT and saw the official with the whistle in his mouth staring at Devin instead of moving on and completing his job of reporting the call. I immediately told my father "That ref wants to give Devin a T. He is bating him". He was at the timeline and Devin was on the far inside position on the lane for the free throw and said nothing (the B.S. by Turf about barking is absolutely false - I was close and heard nothing - no other source has reference Devin saying anything). The ref was intent on calling a foul that changed the game rather than being intent on defusing a situation which impacted no-one else in the game or on the court.

There is no doubt that some players have reputations for stretching the rules or doing whatever they can to get an advantage. I may be attuned to that and be watchful, but if I treat that player differently or make calls I would not otherwise make due to reputation I am cheating the game and unfairly impacting the outcome. My entire purpose is to insure FAIR play.

Incredibly I may have made mistakes as an official. I have admitted to it - to coaches, players and other officials. Incredibly, it makes smart people understand I am capable, doing my best, and attempting to be fair. It is sickening to read the ref (and Keeper almost as often) constantly defending poor actions by officials to the detriment of fair play.

The technical on DT was unwarranted head hunting by a egotistical asshole. If you can't figure out a better way to deal with staring (other than telling mommy "he's looking at me") than to completely change the outcome of an ultra-competitive game which has had no major issues, you are a joke and a failure to your task. You should retire.

I am dumbfounded. I get top level jobs because of my judgment. Apparently in ACC basketball you get top spots by impacting play to benefit one side and claiming infallibility.

I don't even want to begin to talk about the 4th foul on Devin and what it would mean to the game if that standard was used on every drive by both sides in that game.

There is supposed to be one standard and one set of rules - regardless of reputation or team.

What has the ref ever reffed? I ref at the very top level a major intercollegiate sport. I am expected to be professional and unbiased. Taking pejorative action against a player because of past actions is the definition of bias.

I watched the foul call on DT and saw the official with the whistle in his mouth staring at Devin instead of moving on and completing his job of reporting the call. I immediately told my father "That ref wants to give Devin a T. He is bating him". He was at the timeline and Devin was on the far inside position on the lane for the free throw and said nothing (the B.S. by Turf about barking is absolutely false - I was close and heard nothing - no other source has reference Devin saying anything). The ref was intent on calling a foul that changed the game rather than being intent on defusing a situation which impacted no-one else in the game or on the court.

There is no doubt that some players have reputations for stretching the rules or doing whatever they can to get an advantage. I may be attuned to that and be watchful, but if I treat that player differently or make calls I would not otherwise make due to reputation I am cheating the game and unfairly impacting the outcome. My entire purpose is to insure FAIR play.

Incredibly I may have made mistakes as an official. I have admitted to it - to coaches, players and other officials. Incredibly, it makes smart people understand I am capable, doing my best, and attempting to be fair. It is sickening to read the ref (and Keeper almost as often) constantly defending poor actions by officials to the detriment of fair play.

The technical on DT was unwarranted head hunting by a egotistical asshole. If you can't figure out a better way to deal with staring (other than telling mommy "he's looking at me") than to completely change the outcome of an ultra-competitive game which has had no major issues, you are a joke and a failure to your task. You should retire.

I am dumbfounded. I get top level jobs because of my judgment. Apparently in ACC basketball you get top spots by impacting play to benefit one side and claiming infallibility.

I don't even want to begin to talk about the 4th foul on Devin and what it would mean to the game if that standard was used on every drive by both sides in that game.

There is supposed to be one standard and one set of rules - regardless of reputation or team.

Excellent post. A copy should be sent to the league office.

The real question is did Wake send anything to the ACC Office about this. Despite those on this thread that speculate what DT actually did, there has been no video or eyewitness accounts of DT mouthing off or being demonstrative to deserve a technical.

Again, reality. If people in charge of something tell you to stop doing something, stop. All of these people getting shot by cops have one thing in common... had they done what the people in charge told them to do, they wouldn't have gotten shot. Same is true here.

Wait, are you implying that the referee would have been justified in shooting Devin Thomas? I get a little confused with all the intricacies of the stand your ground laws.

Devin won't be made available to the press for awhile after his comments about Ayers.

If Devin has a reputation with referees, how on earth does Cat Barber not have his own reputation as the floppiest flopper this side of James Harden?

Y'all see the ref daring DT to have any kind of reaction to that late foul call on the block?

Crazy that well-compensated, grown men require that kind of obsequiousness from amateur young men. Really odd power dynamic.

These taggers are also hard AF. Really impressive stuff.

Back