• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Devin Thomas

DT reminds me of a shorter Jamaal Levy. Excellent offensive player, could move at ease in the post and gobbled rebounds.

Jamaal Levy was an excellent offensive player? He averaged 7 PPG and shot 50% from the line as a Senior.

I thought Devin Thomas is 6' 9". Levy never sniffed that.

Damn, palma, you're right. Bad memory. I was thinking more in the 6' 7" range.

Way to smidge up the comparison, smidge.

Devin has more upside that Johnson, Teague or AFA. When he can score moving to his right with his right hand, develops the mid-range jumper futher and improves his free throw shooting he is a lottery pick (well, scouts might not even care about the free throws). That is a lot to work on but he has all the tools. He already is an amazing rebounder and passer. That alone gets him to the NBA. Devin is the kid the team should be built around because his intensity is off the charts. He runs the court, dives for loose balls, is fearless against older players, listens to his coaches... I could go on. We watched a real coming out party. And having said all that... he's no longer off the radar and teams are going to force him to the right and he's going to struggle to score in future games. But that is not going to keep him off the glass.

With his size and skills he has to be a knock down money jump shooter out to 15/17 feet a la David west and Carlos boozer who were both undervalued when drafted. Unless devin grows. I have been comparing him to boozer since just after he signed

Devin's averaging something around 9 and 9 in the first six conference games, which includes two total points in the first two conference games against Duke and UVA

Also, bare in mind we just got torched on interior defense thru the first 8 or so games. Devin's rapid improvement guarding bigs has been impressive. Has trouble against quickness but I would like to see that Nebraska fat fuck come I tomorrow and see how far devin has come. We had to double that fucker then (we didn't but we should have)

If the freshman are as close as they seem to be I worry about that scholarship situation going forward. Let's say we improve and become a tourney team when they are juniors and have a great season when they are seniors. The next two years we are crap again with 5 scholarship players that can't work out long term.

I think this is why the Mitchell signing is so huge. If you hate [Redacted] but like our freshman class, which I assume is the boat many are in, it was easy to see a future where we are meh/ok this year, then lose CJ and struggle to score next year and are meh/ok again, then their junior year is NIT world and then their senior year is maybe an NCAA 1st round game then we start all over again.

With Mitchell signed, you have a much clearer path to consistency - especially if Mitchell leads to a big man signing as most are expecting. Basketball is really about your top 6, so while graduating 7 will hurt like hell, if you have Mitchell, a good big guy, and a senior Overton with McClinton... It's not the disaster it was going to be. In fact no matter who the coach is by then you can't help but think we'd have 3 straight years of tournament teams.

Not signed, just committed. It's a long time between now and a LOI.

Also by 2016 we'll have all american freshmen Harry Giles taking the conference by storm, fwiw. :thumbsup:

Back