• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Devin Thomas

It was a great game by Devin and he will probably hold our PF position down nicely for the next four (hopefully) years. However, it was his first double-double in 18 games, so the TD name dropping is waaaaaay premature. That said, I feel much better about watching Wake B-Ball right now. GO DEACS!

Obviously comparisons to Timmy D are unfair for us to pin on any frosh. HOWEVER, for someone who was a sophomore in '94 and got to see every one of Tim's games up close and personal, it's not a stretch to say that Tim Duncan was a DREADFUL offensive player as a freshman. He was all defense, rebounding and shot-blocking. So many times, he had no clue what to do with the ball on the offensive end of the floor early in his freshman campaign. He used to travel a lot and had difficulty pivoting to his strong hand.

At that point in time, he seemed like a project with some potential to become a serviceable offensive player and a routine 10/10/3 guy. I don't think anyone saw him becoming one of the best ACC players of all time. But then he worked his tail off before his sophomore year and became a completely different player. That kind of progression is unheard of in sports for someone who barely played the game growing up. It is a remarkable feat that Tim Duncan transformed himself into not only one of the best college players of all time, but perhaps one of the best 3 power forwards to ever lace 'em up in the NBA.

As for Devin, assuming he can avoid a devastating injury, and he continues to work on his footwork and quickness (albeit big man quickness), I think the sky's the limit for him. Plus, we don't even know if he's done growing yet, n'est-ce pas?

he averaged 9.8/9.6/3.8 his freshman year.

That's okay. It's my opinion. Time will tell. I just happen to see a lot in the kid. The one thing that surprised me last night is that they didn't force him to his right.

i bet you anything you want he isnt picked higher than afa.

I like Devin's instincts for the game. He seems to understand the game much better than most freshmen, especially a freshman big man.

I wonder if he might yet grow an inch or two?

i bet you anything you want he isnt picked higher than afa.

I didn't say he would be picked higher. I said I think he has greater upside. I'll stick with that. He has a lot of work to do. AFA, for all his skill, has always been on the edge of out of control. I don't get the same sense from Devin. If the staff is smart they coach Devin up like Odom did Duncan. Fundamentals. Work his right side. They do that and Devin is a superior player to Johnson or AFA. My two cents.

Devin's averaging something around 9 and 9 in the first six conference games, which includes two total points in the first two conference games against Duke and UVA

I said it on the game thread last night, but that was the best game by a true Wake big that I can remember. It's gotta be since at least Big E doesn't it? I can't even remember another guy backing down the basket like he did last night, and just getting rebounds by sheer hustle and positioning. I always feel like we're yelling at the TV about another big guy having a big game and wondering where the hell all these good big guys come from. It felt so good to be on the other end of that last night.

Devin is going to have ups and downs, but I'm really encouraged by what I saw last night. And no matter what happens the rest of his career, Devin absolutely dominated a conference basketball game against a ranked opponent. That's a hell of a feeling and he was just on fire last night. Just a ballsy performance from a freshman

Devin's averaging something around 9 and 9 in the first six conference games, which includes two total points in the first two conference games against Duke and UVA

A point and a rebound from averaging a double double. I'd take that my freshman year.

The best thing about Devin is his personality and character. He's a great kid who looks like he's having fun, and isn't afraid to let everyone know it. Good for you, DT. Keep it up.

I said it on the game thread last night, but that was the best game by a true Wake big that I can remember.

Chas McFarland dominated Hansbrough http://content.usatoday.com/sportsdata/basketball/ncaab/game/northcarolina_wakeforest/2009/01/11#box-score

11 of tyler's 17 were from the foul line. Wake has had tons of incredible bigs. Wake's insistence to bench them and hate them for whatever perceived indiscretion off the court has wasted so much big man talent. Playing 3 guards means you completely ignore the role of the big man. 3 guards only works when one is CP3. A team built around tall rebounding shot blockers is a team that is designed to make final fours and win championships. A team with three guards might win a state championship in high school. Once Wake figures that out wins will be a lot easier to come by.

Since New Year's, Devin is averaging, 9 ppg and 10.4 rpg.

Since the State game, Devin is averaging 25 ppg, 14 rpg, 4 bpg, 4 apg, on 77% shooting.

Just curious, how tall is Devin really? He's listed as 6'9" on the Wake website but was listed as 6'7" during recruitment. He honestly doesn't look like a true 6'9" (closer to 6'8"), but he certainly makes up for it with his hustle and smarts.

Just curious, how tall is Devin really? He's listed as 6'9" on the Wake website but was listed as 6'7" during recruitment. He honestly doesn't look like a true 6'9" (closer to 6'8"), but he certainly makes up for it with his hustle and smarts.

He's an inch or two taller than McKie unless one of them grew since Christmas.

I am interested in what Overton can do. I talked to him the other day and said some my look for him and Codi to pick up CJ's scoring and he told me "that's ok. I don't want to sound cocky but I am shooter". Like the kids confidence would love it if he could come in and be a legit deep ball threat.

I am interested in what Overton can do. I talked to him the other day and said some my look for him and Codi to pick up CJ's scoring and he told me "that's ok. I don't want to sound cocky but I am shooter". Like the kids confidence would love it if he could come in and be a legit deep ball threat.
Chase isn't good enough for you?!?!

Sorry but I would love to see him lighting it up for the Thundering Herd.

If the freshman are as close as they seem to be I worry about that scholarship situation going forward. Let's say we improve and become a tourney team when they are juniors and have a great season when they are seniors. The next two years we are crap again with 5 scholarship players that can't work out long term.

DT reminds me of a shorter Jamaal Levy. Excellent offensive player, could move at ease in the post and gobbled rebounds.

Back