• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Devin Thomas

I like him. You can't put the fire in somebody, but those that have it can learn to channel it properly.

Devin has the potential to be a very good interior presence but its being wasted by [Redacted] and his inability to control his emotions on the court. With a new coach that can help Devin continue to develop and funnel his passion into positive things, he should be a very good player for Wake.

If he isn't careful he will get the rep that McFarland had. When the reffs know you show out and are waiting for you to do it, it's over.

Agree with the sentiments stated above and would add that I think Devin's game suffers because of the total lack of another inside scoring presence. The other WF players that share the 4/5 spot with Devin (Cavanaugh, Moto, Rountree, Washington and rarely McKie) either have absolutely no inside game, or are really 3s trying to play the 4. As a result, Devin gets the focus of the opponent's best interior defender and help from the opponent's next best interior defender as no one in that group that plays inside with Devin is a perimeter threat either. Devin simply is not good enough (and most players aren't) to score inside against teams that can gameplan against stopping him with no threat of any other interior scorer making them pay for focusing only on Thomas inside. If WF had another low post scoring option, life would be much easier for Devin.

Also, the lack of shooters makes it easy for teams to clog the middle against WF.

If he isn't careful he will get the rep that McFarland had. When the reffs know you show out and are waiting for you to do it, it's over.

He already has it. He got that rap in the islands when he MF'ed everybody in the game and got tossed by the 2 officials.

High on complaining and emotional outburst, average in talent.

High on complaining and emotional outburst, average in talent.

I think he has better than average talent. His problem is consistency. He can rebound, he can score, he can defend but he can't do it night after night. That is coaching.

What are the odds someone makes a Josh Howard-like turn mid-career? Certainly lower than someone maintaining a Chas McFarland-like reputation for the duration of their career. I hope Devin's capable of the former, but I'm not nearly as optimistic as some of you in this regard. Fingers crossed, of course.

Personally, I'd be more forgiving if he actually mixed it up with the opposition every now and then rather than screaming at the air/officials.

I think he has better than average talent. His problem is consistency. He can rebound, he can score, he can defend but he can't do it night after night. That is coaching.

No doubt he could be better with better coaching...and better supporting cast. But he is an average to slightly above average acc talent. Would love him as a contributor on a great team, but he's in a small pond and not as big a fish as he acts like.

No doubt he could be better with better coaching...and better supporting cast. But he is an average to slightly above average acc talent. Would love him as a contributor on a great team, but he's in a small pond and not as big a fish as he acts like.

Well, time will tell. He's a sophomore. I think he has skills. He needs a coach to get him focused.

And this is how a superstar complains at a ref:

tim-duncan-called-for-foul.gif

He was one of five on the all ACC freshmen team last year, and was one of about 20 players across the country invited to team USA tryouts over the summer. So it seems the college basketball community rates his talent pretty high.

I wish people would stop comparing Josh and Devin. The "Josh is a cancer" stuff was BS then and it's BS now.

it's time for this thread......we've all been wishing and hoping for heroes on this team and devin is right at the top of the list. unfortunately devin's appeal to us fans is his fire and passion, not really skills. i think he's worked hard to improve as a rebounder, but his other skills are mediocre. it's not his fault he's a 4 playing as a five, but he's made some bonehead turnovers all season that have hurt us in close games. blame it on coaching, circumstances, whatever, but the kid is not our savior.

Back