• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Diamond Deacs 2019 (Offseason) | 5 Deacs Drafted

No way in hell they fire Walter. He got us as close to Omaha as we've been in my lifetime. Last season was lost the second that our best players were suspended for the year. They are talented this year, but very young still. He does make questionable in game and lineup decisions, but when your team is under performing you tend to tinker sometimes too much to find the right formula as a manager. Give this group another year or two and if we still haven't sniffed Omaha then sure, can his ass...

Midweek pitching still not what would be needed to make post season. What is the problem? Recruiting, player development, injuries or ????

Vanderbilt's an expensive school

the Commodores are very good in baseball

unless I am missing something, they have zero Jucos on the roster

I believe Duke also has zero Jucos on their roster

Vandy is allowed to give academic scholarships to baseball players meaning they in effect have more players on scholarship Rice does this also. A proposal was made to our administration to do the same but was shut down, way to go administration

Vandy is allowed to give academic scholarships to baseball players meaning they in effect have more players on scholarship Rice does this also. A proposal was made to our administration to do the same but was shut down, way to go administration

as a WFU alum I'm not sure I see a strong benefit to giving undeserved academic scholarships to athletes in a non-revenue sport (and baseball at WF certainly does not make a profit)

do we do this in soccer? tennis? field hockey?

as a WFU alum I'm not sure I see a strong benefit to giving undeserved academic scholarships to athletes in a non-revenue sport (and baseball at WF certainly does not make a profit)

do we do this in soccer? tennis? field hockey?
And yet we see Vandy and Rice go to the college World Series and have starters in the real World Series without any harm to their academic reputations. These are not undeserved, the students given academic help are qualified for the scholarships they receive it is that our administration has said if on an athletic scholarship the school will not provide academic money. That would go for other sports that you have mentioned.

In the past, the WF baseball program has had very strong graduation rates.

This and the asinine JuCo credit (non) acceptance policy will keep Wake baseball on the fringes of super regionals for the foreseeable future.

And yet we see Vandy and Rice go to the college World Series and have starters in the real World Series without any harm to their academic reputations. These are not undeserved, the students given academic help are qualified for the scholarships they receive it is that our administration has said if on an athletic scholarship the school will not provide academic money. That would go for other sports that you have mentioned.

if they are not undeserved, then I don't have a problem with it - which is why I included the qualifier

3% of WF applicants earn merit scholarships. If a baseball player is one of the 3% that deserves a scholarship, he should get it

I don't get the support of Walter, the comments make it seem like he is new and is coming off some great years. That is just not true. This is his 10th year at Wake and he will have gone to the NCAAs 2 times! That is horrible at an ACC school. He has an awful losing ACC record in those 10 years (122-156). His overall record is barely even, 278–259.

The number don't lie, he is not a good coach. He is not getting it done. He has had one great year when we had some phenomenal talent, even then he couldn't get us to Omaha. He has squandered lots of other years (including this one) with plenty of talent. He is not a good coach.

I wonder how many they have on academic scholarship. I can't imagine its very many considering how difficult it is to get into Vandy. Or the process is bogus...

As a policy, I disagree. But I can't imagine we are talking large numbers of baseball players who would legit qualify for an academic scholarship at Wake. Wake doesn't give those out very freely...

How does the scholarship get applied? Is it based on the B.S. full price tag nobody really pays (uber rich and foreign nationals excepted)? Or does it get applied after FAFSA determines what the family can afford, and school gives aide. I've read on these boards that Wake is not that much more expensive than UNC for "regular people," but it seems to be an issue in baseball.

Possible math:
$70k price tag
1/2 scholarship = $35k
FAFSA says family can afford $35k for college tuition.
$35k affordability- $35k scholarship = free

otoh
$70k price tag
FAFA says family can afford $35k
1/2 scholarship of remaining $35k = $17.5k
family pays $17.5k

$70k price tag
FAFSA says family can afford $35k
1/2 scholarship (now redundant to ordinary reduction) = $35k
family pays $35k

How does the scholarship get applied? Is it based on the B.S. full price tag nobody really pays (uber rich and foreign nationals excepted)? Or does it get applied after FAFSA determines what the family can afford, and school gives aide. I've read on these boards that Wake is not that much more expensive than UNC for "regular people," but it seems to be an issue in baseball.

Possible math:
$70k price tag
1/2 scholarship = $35k
FAFSA says family can afford $35k for college tuition.
$35k affordability- $35k scholarship = free

otoh
$70k price tag
FAFA says family can afford $35k
1/2 scholarship of remaining $35k = $17.5k
family pays $17.5k

$70k price tag
FAFSA says family can afford $35k
1/2 scholarship (now redundant to ordinary reduction) = $35k
family pays $35k

Fair question, but understand there is a wide range of family income levels falling well below “Uber rich” who WF seems able to pay the full $75,000 annual price tag.
Ow

I don't get the support of Walter, the comments make it seem like he is new and is coming off some great years. That is just not true. This is his 10th year at Wake and he will have gone to the NCAAs 2 times! That is horrible at an ACC school. He has an awful losing ACC record in those 10 years (122-156). His overall record is barely even, 278–259.

The number don't lie, he is not a good coach. He is not getting it done. He has had one great year when we had some phenomenal talent, even then he couldn't get us to Omaha. He has squandered lots of other years (including this one) with plenty of talent. He is not a good coach.

Thanks for the answering the question I was going to ask. And that was what I thought - 2 trips to the NCAAs for his whole Wake career. I mentioned this several weeks ago, didn't he interview for what seemed like a lesser job (Tulane maybe?) about 3 years ago (right before his one good season at Wake) and didn't get it. I believe that thought then was he knew he was on the hot-seat at Wake and was looking to move on before he got moved on.

Down 4-0 and game is probably over already with Steel, Mueller, and Harvey all in the lineup together. No chance to score that way let alone Ludowig hasn’t hit one out of the infield but once this year.

Back