• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Diamond Deacs 2019 (Offseason) | 5 Deacs Drafted

Agreed. Not even remotely close. Men’s tennis and women’s golf won their respective ACC tournaments, which required several clutch performances. Then they both advanced through the NCAA tournament with several clutch performances. Men’s tennis beat top 5 ACC opponents in back to back matches, including a third set match at 1 singles.

There are fans of every team, college and pro, that think their team is “the most cursed ever!!!1!” Just pick a message board and you’ll find that sentiment somewhere on there.

We were in two national championships this week. VT has never won a national championship in any sport, ever.

To add to this, Wake has more team NCAA national championships than BC, Clemson, FSU, GT, Louisville, NC State, and VT. In fact, Wake has more national championships than GT, Louisville, NC State, and VT combined.

Our athletes just feel comfortable on country-club sport territory. Like a fish in water, get us out of that and it all goes to hell

Our athletes just feel comfortable on country-club sport territory. Like a fish in water, get us out of that and it all goes to hell

Is soccer a country club sport? Because we are pretty awesome at that.

We have also had some clutch bowl victories over the past 3 years.

pretty awesome in terms of national championships? how does one characterize UVA, or Maryland, or UNC, or Clemson, if that is the criterion

But we try to bunt with a .360 hitter at the plate and a 3 run lead. It makes no sense at all.

Everyone knows Walter played it right there ... with our weak pitching and great hitting we needed to play to win ... Walter pulled all the right swings but players couldn't make it happen ...

Pretty much, only country clubbers can afford all the cost involved in high-level youth soccer

As opposed to the hard scrabble/mean street atmosphere at Duke, Stanford, Northwestern, Vanderbilt and every other WF-like school that competes at the highest level of NCAA sports. :wtf:

Posts like this just drive me crazy. There are 300+ NCAA schools and 1 national champion in each sport; there are 15 ACC schools and only one conference champion. It's really hard to win on the highest level. There are many schools with fewer Nattys than WF and fewer ACC titles in the sports that WF competes in. Hard to win titles. That is why its awesome when your school wins one, or even gets to a final 4 or a CWS. In the end, it's a numbers game, and when there is one winner that means that everyone else ends their season losing their last contest. Doesn't mean that the school is loserville ("soooo Wake Forest" barf) or has a country club attitude or they are cursed or the AD pervaded his attitude on the program. It's just the reality of competing. Everyone isn't f-ing Boston.

So, odd to me that people don't get the reality that there are 100s of other schools that are focused on winning too; so, that losing is the reality for essentially everyone. It's not because your school is flawed just the nature of competition.

FWIW, here are the ACC schools that have NOT won an ACC baseball title since WF's last:

Duke
State
Virginia Tech
Notre Dame
L'ville
Pitt
BC

FWIW, since 1998, WF has won the more ACC baseball titles (3) has won more ACC baseball titles than Clemson, UNC, UVA and Miami. The idea that WF is some kind of pussified country club program that sucks as compared to the much tougher harder edge schools/programs is complete BS.

Sometimes, the self-loathing from our fanbase is just so stupid.

As opposed to the hard scrabble/mean street atmosphere at Duke, Stanford, Northwestern, Vanderbilt and every other WF-like school that competes at the highest level of NCAA sports. :wtf:

Posts like this just drive me crazy. There are 300+ NCAA schools and 1 national champion in each sport; there are 15 ACC schools and only one conference champion. It's really hard to win on the highest level. There are many schools with fewer Nattys than WF and fewer ACC titles in the sports that WF competes in. Hard to win titles. That is why its awesome when your school wins one, or even gets to a final 4 or a CWS. In the end, it's a numbers game, and when there is one winner that means that everyone else ends their season losing their last contest. Doesn't mean that the school is loserville ("soooo Wake Forest" barf) or has a country club attitude or they are cursed or the AD pervaded his attitude on the program. It's just the reality of competing. Everyone isn't f-ing Boston.

So, odd to me that people don't get the reality that there are 100s of other schools that are focused on winning too; so, that losing is the reality for essentially everyone. It's not because your school is flawed just the nature of competition.

FWIW, here are the ACC schools that have NOT won an ACC baseball title since WF's last:

Duke
State
Virginia Tech
Notre Dame
L'ville
Pitt
BC

FWIW, since 1998, WF has won the more ACC baseball titles (3) has won more ACC baseball titles than Clemson, UNC, UVA and Miami. The idea that WF is some kind of pussified country club program that sucks as compared to the much tougher harder edge schools/programs is complete BS.

Across all sports last year, the ACC had four national championship teams. Wake had one of those teams.

Pretty much, only country clubbers can afford all the cost involved in high-level youth soccer

When you drive past the country club, all you can see for miles are kids practicing soccer. I wonder if soccer jerseys qualify as a country club casual?

I was there, sitting in a sea of red. Umpire was terrible on both sides. Strike zone all over the place - inning to inning, batter to batter, sometimes in same AB. For the first 100 bad calls each side got angry, but after a while it just got ridiculous
jaguars-fan-gif-5.gif

Google search shows this guy has a history of being terrible. How is he working above HS level I don't know.

Arkansas media/fans went public with their displeasure in 2012
https://5newsonline.com/2012/06/23/season-ends-with-controversy-for-hogs/

http://www.hogdb.com/2012/06/24/pete-costellos-lopsided-incompetence-or-bias/

CZsuRgJW0AAdNGK.jpg

Costellos-Strike-Zone.jpg

D4kQ6xUW0AAHcVf.jpg

Texas
https://www.burntorangenation.com/2...y-costello-sucks-long-beach-state-strike-zone

So with F$U, who Wake beat, laying the wood to the wolpfack tonight, who Wake beat last night with the missed called 3rd strike, any hope at all of us getting a Regional bid?

If not, such a horrible way to close out the season. :tear:

I'm watching the FSU/NC State game and thinking about last nights game.
As others have said the strike zone was fluid. Wake just couldn't get a called 3rd strike. Was able to get 1st pitch strikes and some 0 and 2 counts. Ump just would not call the 3rd strike.
Good game by Wake. Made 2 really bad plays. 2d baseman could not get the ball out of his glove and the play at home would not have been close if the 1st baseman had been alert and got the ball to the catcher quicker.

Wish I was in Durham. Great location for the tournament

Duke
State
Virginia Tech
Notre Dame
L'ville
Pitt
BC

It's official: for the 27th consecutive year, NC State has failed to win so much as a share of a division title, regular season ACC title, or ACC tournament title in football, men's & women's basketball, and baseball. One of the most amazing streaks in college sports.

For next year forgot to mention we will have Danny Barlok as a grad transfer who was a stud closer for Holy Cross although is coming off Tommy John. Still if his recover is on track he will be a huge asset.

Assuming we lose Peluse and McSweeney wonder who we will end up with as starting pitchers. Obviously you’ve got Shuster and Cusick, and then maybe Shane Smith if he recovers from TJ(?). Guessing Fleming probably gets moved to starting and Bach finally becomes somewhat serviceable as a midweek dude.

also the mystery of one of our top recruits wyatt beddow who disappeared from the roster midseason

Wish I was in Durham. Great location for the tournament

I've heard this is the last year of the tournament at the DBAP. The International League is not allowing scheduling exemptions for its teams. I guess they got too many and it became a headache for them (?). Anyhow, cannot depend on the Bulls having a road trip toward the end of May. Hope the tournament stays in the area, though. Great central location for so many teams.

Nice that Syracuse doesn't field a baseball team so we don't have to hear them bitch like Boeheim did in basketball.

Back