• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Diamond Deacs 2019 (Offseason) | 5 Deacs Drafted

as frustrating as walter is at times, the baseball program isn’t in awful shape. recruiting has been pretty good and despite the cliche refrain the deacs should be pretty good next year. our only seniors were steel, witt, mueller. who knows about peluse and mcsweeney as it’s not uncommon for high projection pitchers to get drafted high anyway, although mcsweeney was particularly bad. haven’t seen frick listed anywhere as a prospect which kinda surprises me.

Hearn was honored as a senior so I assume he is gone, as is Witt

that leaves Bach (rising Sr.), Shuster (rising Jr.) and Oxford (redshirted this year) as our 3 returning LHPs

do we have a LHP coming in that might contribute? are any of our current sophomores (pitcher or no) draft eligible?

Hearn was honored as a senior so I assume he is gone, as is Witt

that leaves Bach (rising Sr.), Shuster (rising Jr.) and Oxford (redshirted this year) as our 3 returning LHPs

do we have a LHP coming in that might contribute? are any of our current sophomores (pitcher or no) draft eligible?

Don't they usually honor graduates, not necessarily departures? (Steel wasn't honored this year, for example). Certainly hope Hearn returns.

Poteet is draft eligible but based on his season you'd expect him to return.

State scored 4 runs in the 9th and hit two balls out of the infield over the 9 batters that came to the plate that inning.

WF is not going to the NCAAs and Walter is not getting fired. While I wouldn't be extending his contract, don't think firing him is the right move. This team has deep sophomore and freshman talent, and another solid class coming in. Realize the "wait till next year" mantra is old, but two years ago, WF was an extra inning loss away from taking Florida's place in the College World Series (and Florida ended up winning it all). This season was disappointing from beginning to end, but feel like this group is close to a break through.

State scored 4 runs in the 9th and hit two balls out of the infield over the 9 batters that came to the plate that inning.

WF is not going to the NCAAs and Walter is not getting fired. While I wouldn't be extending his contract, don't think firing him is the right move. This team has deep sophomore and freshman talent, and another solid class coming in. Realize the "wait till next year" mantra is old, but two years ago, WF was an extra inning loss away from taking Florida's place in the College World Series (and Florida ended up winning it all). This season was disappointing from beginning to end, but feel like this group is close to a break through.

Agree with you Pilchard.....good recruiting is happening....hopefully it will show on the field...my heart is broken over last night. Hopefully Clawson's winning ways will spread to basketball and baseball.

as frustrating as walter is at times, the baseball program isn’t in awful shape. recruiting has been pretty good and despite the cliche refrain the deacs should be pretty good next year. our only seniors were steel, witt, mueller. who knows about peluse and mcsweeney as it’s not uncommon for high projection pitchers to get drafted high anyway, although mcsweeney was particularly bad. haven’t seen frick listed anywhere as a prospect which kinda surprises me.

Stop it, it is so absurd that any wake fan who watches wake baseball could support Walter. He has had 10 years to shape the program and make it into a winner. He has failed miserably. The team reflects his lack of fundamentals with consistently bad defense and poor pitching (walks). His in game coaching is just as bad, if not worse (see dumb sac bunts, horrible pen management).

Beyond all that, let's just look at the stats. In 10 years Walter has only taken the Deacs to the NCAA two times! That in and of itself should get him fired. In 10 years, Walter only has ONE winning ACC season. ONE! Every stat points to him being a bad coach. Overall his win loss is 294-274 and his overall ACC record is 131-169.

We have had talent (including this year). Despite the talent, Walter has only managed to lead the Deacs to one winning ACC season and two NCAAs. He is lucky he has had this long, it is time for a new coach ASAP. Wake has the facilities and history to be competitive with the right coach. Walter is not that guy.

After Seymour doubles we had three guys swinging for the fences when an opposite field single ties the game

How do ACC scholarship level hitters not understand this? How do the coaches not bunt the guy over to third with no one out??

How do ACC scholarship level hitters not understand this? How do the coaches not bunt the guy over to third with no one out??

But we try to bunt with a .360 hitter at the plate and a 3 run lead. It makes no sense at all.

Perry Costello was the home plate umpire. You should read his twitter comments.

https://twitter.com/search?q=perry costello&src=typed_query
[FONT=&]LOL[/FONT][FONT=&]Jon Ham
Arkansas Fan
Member since Jun 2011
19689 posts[/FONT]
[FONT=&]re: Perry Costello still has a job as an NCAA Umpire...Posted on 2/9/13 at 1:00 am to Drewbie
Before my and Costello's time is up on this earth, I'm going to take a dump on his face. It's on my bucket list.[/FONT]

Wow, that guy has a history of being lousy. He must have damaging pics of someone.

Stop it, it is so absurd that any wake fan who watches wake baseball could support Walter. He has had 10 years to shape the program and make it into a winner. He has failed miserably. The team reflects his lack of fundamentals with consistently bad defense and poor pitching (walks). His in game coaching is just as bad, if not worse (see dumb sac bunts, horrible pen management).

Beyond all that, let's just look at the stats. In 10 years Walter has only taken the Deacs to the NCAA two times! That in and of itself should get him fired. In 10 years, Walter only has ONE winning ACC season. ONE! Every stat points to him being a bad coach. Overall his win loss is 294-274 and his overall ACC record is 131-169.

We have had talent (including this year). Despite the talent, Walter has only managed to lead the Deacs to one winning ACC season and two NCAAs. He is lucky he has had this long, it is time for a new coach ASAP. Wake has the facilities and history to be competitive with the right coach. Walter is not that guy.

This is honestly pretty compelling. I do have a lot of optimism for next year so I think I'm okay giving him another year, but agree that the investments we've made haven't paid off at all.

Wait, what happened to "Wake will be perpetually bad because we're an expensive private school, only 11 scholarships..." and all that?

Might be semantics, but I take issue with whoever lumped in WFU baseball with men's tennis and women's golf. Not even remotely close.

Baseball grossly underachieved. While the other two are top 5 / top 10 teams this season, they made it to the final match and arguably overachieved.

Just more embarrassment for Wake Athletics. Walter is clearly not a top level manager. He coaches defense just like Manning, which apparently is none.

10 years to build a winner is an awfully long time.

Yep and we let go a winner with over 600 wins and 3 ACC titles after one losing season. Now look at all the coaches RW has kept over the years that he has hired that he has kept for far too many years with terrible records: Caldwell, Bz, DM, Hoover, Rem...……...

Might be semantics, but I take issue with whoever lumped in WFU baseball with men's tennis and women's golf. Not even remotely close.

Agreed. Not even remotely close. Men’s tennis and women’s golf won their respective ACC tournaments, which required several clutch performances. Then they both advanced through the NCAA tournament with several clutch performances. Men’s tennis beat top 5 ACC opponents in back to back matches, including a third set match at 1 singles.

There are fans of every team, college and pro, that think their team is “the most cursed ever!!!1!” Just pick a message board and you’ll find that sentiment somewhere on there.

We were in two national championships this week. VT has never won a national championship in any sport, ever.

George Greer was a coach here for 10 years before Bobby Moranda and the Juco pipeline. 1 over .500 ACC season and no NCAA tournament appearances.

As soon as the recruits started graduating from that pipeline after Moranda left, Greer was 8-15 and 4-20 in the ACC in his last two years before being let go.

The likelihood of him rebuilding the program to the top of the ACC was remote.

Funny how the Reff harps on Skips 3-13 year in the ACC yet doesn't assign any accountability to George Greer for his 4-20 season.

Back