• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Diamond Deacs 2019 (Offseason) | 5 Deacs Drafted

IMO, Fleming pitched fine in the 9th.

Bad luck and a bad call on what should have been strike 3.

2 walks when you are up 3 runs isn't a good idea. The State hitters kept battling and battling in the 9th inning. We get a guy on second with no outs and the next three guys can't get it out of the infield.

Time for Currie to fire Walter. Wake is so close to being a great baseball program with our facilities, just need the coaching.

I assume a coaching change in baseball would cost money. Need to fix men’s basketball first.

2 walks when you are up 3 runs isn't a good idea. The State hitters kept battling and battling in the 9th inning. We get a guy on second with no outs and the next three guys can't get it out of the infield.

Ludowig had two pitches waaaaayyyyy inside called strikes. The other two guys just swung for the fences

That was such classic Wake Forest tonight. A lethal combination of not making the basic plays, bad calls, and some bad luck. It seems like our baseball team has been the master of that through most of Walter's tenure.

Ludowig had two pitches waaaaayyyyy inside called strikes. The other two guys just swung for the fences

That’s the strategy they use. No moving runners over or emphasis on putting balls in play. Over 30 K’s in two game is horrible.

as frustrating as walter is at times, the baseball program isn’t in awful shape. recruiting has been pretty good and despite the cliche refrain the deacs should be pretty good next year. our only seniors were steel, witt, mueller. who knows about peluse and mcsweeney as it’s not uncommon for high projection pitchers to get drafted high anyway, although mcsweeney was particularly bad. haven’t seen frick listed anywhere as a prospect which kinda surprises me.

It seems like we get routinely screwed by umpiring in the acc.

The reason for your lamentations are simple but consistent. Lousy defense, lousy pitching and poor fundamentals. That is why Wake had a losing season last year and failed to meet your expectations this year. Consistent good pitching, consistent good defense and consistent execution of the fundamentals are absolutely required to win championships. They are not electives.

Witt has been better than Fleming. He has earned the right to at least start the 9th. Last time Fleming came in with a lot on the line he gave up 3 bombs to Miami. I understand he is your closer but at this point in the season it’s just about winning

Most disappointing season I can remember since 2009 football. Walter needs to go. We need fresh blood. Too much talent to miss the NCAAT. But because it’s baseball, Walter probably has a lifetime contract.

That game reminded me a lot of the Cubs Steve Bartman game from years ago

Laugh out loud bad luck followed by a team disintegration

Unfortunately for us, Theo Epstein is not walking through that door to turn around our misfortunes

Perry Costello was the home plate umpire. You should read his twitter comments.

https://twitter.com/search?q=perry costello&src=typed_query
LOLJon Ham
Arkansas Fan
Member since Jun 2011
19689 posts
re: Perry Costello still has a job as an NCAA Umpire...Posted on 2/9/13 at 1:00 am to Drewbie
Before my and Costello's time is up on this earth, I'm going to take a dump on his face. It's on my bucket list.

Costello was really bad last night. Not sure how he’s working a game at that level.

Wake blowing a baseball game in a pressure situation never shocks me

Wake blowing a baseball game in a pressure situation never shocks me

no disrespect intended to any of our athletes, who fought hard, but anyone who has been a WF fan for any length of time had the same thought when the ladies were up 4-1 Wednesday and entering the 9th inning last night:

man, it's really gonna be painful to lose this

no disrespect intended to any of our athletes, who fought hard, but anyone who has been a WF fan for any length of time had the same thought when the ladies were up 4-1 Wednesday and entering the 9th inning last night:

man, it's really gonna be painful to lose this

Truth, it a athletic program wide problem and has been as long as I can remember. Yeah, we've had our moments, but I can't imagine an athletic program as a whole that has seen more heart braking chokes, bad luck, etc., etc. I am sick over the last 2 nights, but my wife nailed it I guess, "you're too invested."

Here's my theory, call me crazy, but I think it starts and always has started at the top with Wake athletics. I think Wellman and even his predecessors have sit a tone of winning isn't important just as long as we're viewed as being the nice guys, the classy program, the program who's always above board. Now, I'm not saying those aren't things we should strive for, but damn it I'd like to see a little more pressure for us to win. Clawson is such a breath of fresh air because he basically sits that tone himself, look no further than firing our DC last year not even halfway through the season. I sure don't see that kind of urgency from Manning and Walter. I guess I'm probably being irrational out of frustration because for such a small school we've done well in a lot of respects with our athletic program as a whole, but damn it is so frustrating to see our programs grasp defeat from the jaws of victory what seems so often. I fully expect the men's golf to make the finals next week and lose by one of our guys 3 putting from 5 feet on 18 now.

Reality is you really don't deserves NCAA when you have terrible starting pitching, bad D and just overall bad fundamentals with a coach that can't manage his bullpen to optimize the little talent he does have.

Plus it would have been a very short lived time in NCAAs so just quickened the end to avoid later hope and pain.

Costello was really bad last night. Not sure how he’s working a game at that level.

Very inconsistent with his strike zone. He'd call one pitch a strike and a pitch or 2 later a pitch in the same location was a ball. I mean when it's borderline I don't care if the ump calls ball or strike, but be consistent for goodness sake.

Back