• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Dianne Feinstein Dead at 90

Not going to speak ill of the dead, but the people that cared about her should have let her leave politics gracefully months or even years ago, so that her decline in health wasn’t a goddamn public spectacle. That whole weekend at Bernies shit wasn’t dignified at all IMO, and whatever I think about her politics, she deserved better as a human being. She may have been resolute and stubborn about it, but still you have to make a better decision.

I totally get this, but I blame the Republicans that couldn't be expected to act in good faith in her absence.

I totally get this, but I blame the Republicans that couldn't be expected to act in good faith in her absence.
A department store mannequin could win her seat running as a Democrat, her absence should have begun in 2018 at the latest.

Yeah I thought that was part of the reason they couldn’t get her to go that Rs wouldn’t let a replacement in her committee assignments
I don't know enough about Senate parliamentary procedure to say much more than the rules are asinine (like Tuberville's ability to single handedly block military promotions), but I think there is something in place that allows the Rs to block replacements if someone is still in the Senate (hence why we couldn't just swap her out while she was recovering from shingles or whatever), but there really isn't anything if there is an actual vacancy. I think some folks tried to float that as possibility to justify Feinstein not resigning, but it really wasn't a possibility as I understand it.

I don't know enough about Senate parliamentary procedure to say much more than the rules are asinine (like Tuberville's ability to single handedly block military promotions), but I think there is something in place that allows the Rs to block replacements if someone is still in the Senate (hence why we couldn't just swap her out while she was recovering from shingles or whatever), but there really isn't anything if there is an actual vacancy. I think some folks tried to float that as possibility to justify Feinstein not resigning, but it really wasn't a possibility as I understand it.
gotcha, yeah that makes sense.

gotcha, yeah that makes sense.
Take it with a grain of salt, but that's what I read. Admittedly, that's not to say the GOP couldn't have tried something, but it seemed highly unlikely that they would actually succeed in blocking with a true vacancy.

Either way, now is definitely not the time for Senate Republicans to attempt shenanigans.

I think it would add on to the Republican shitshow and be poor leadership during a foreign policy emergency.

it’s bad enough the dems need their person to die to replace them, let’s not encourage the R’s to do their thing

Back