• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Difference between Manning and Clawson

BudatWake

Steve Lepore
Reaction score
Clawson came here and found a bare cupboard. The team struggled his first year and though the record did not improve the play of the team on the field did in his second year. We were better in all aspects of the game in year 2. I full expect that we will go to a bowl this coming year. I think the future looks bright.
Manning came here and the cupboard was pretty bare. He did OK with what he had. This year it seems as if the team peaked in Hawaii. I really thought they would win maybe 18 games this year. Instead they have lost 8 in a row and look terrible. They can't shoot, can't play defense, can't run plays and certainly can not shoot FTs. I would say they have regressed from last year. Manning seems to have no idea what to do with the team and refuses to make any changes. If we do not see marked improvement next year, I would say he needs to go. Not to mention that Clawson is a much more likable guy and Manning is proving to be really arrogant and stubborn and completely dismissive of any criticism.

Clawson came here and found a bare cupboard. The team struggled his first year and though the record did not improve the play of the team on the field did in his second year. We were better in all aspects of the game in year 2. I full expect that we will go to a bowl this coming year. I think the future looks bright.
Manning came here and the cupboard was pretty bare. He did OK with what he had. This year it seems as if the team peaked in Hawaii. I really thought they would win maybe 18 games this year. Instead they have lost 8 in a row and look terrible. They can't shoot, can't play defense, can't run plays and certainly can not shoot FTs. I would say they have regressed from last year. Manning seems to have no idea what to do with the team and refuses to make any changes. If we do not see marked improvement next year, I would say he needs to go. Not to mention that Clawson is a much more likable guy and Manning is proving to be really arrogant and stubborn and completely dismissive of any criticism.

When you decide how much you expect that, I want to be the first in line to cover it.

Athletic Diectors hate him. Learn his one simple trick...

Clawson also has a lot longer of track record and has built more than one team from terrible to very, very good. I hope Manning isn't in over his head, but he very well may be

Clawson also has a lot longer of track record and has built more than one team from terrible to very, very good. I hope Manning isn't in over his head, but he very well may be

He is. You could see it at the introductory press conference. His hiring is solely the result of several other coaches turning us down.

I full expect that we will go to a bowl this coming year.
lol_zps52a37e8f.gif

With our schedule next season, are we not expecting to be bowl eligible? I thought that was the consensus. Maybe a slightly optimistic consensus, but not a thought that would be unrealistic.

I think it's a very optimistic and desperate consensus, as in "we better make a bowl next year."

Wait people don't think we're going to make a bowl next year? That's my expectation. Our schedule is LOL-bad

If we don't make a bowl next year then we should fold the program. It's a hilariously easy schedule and we get nearly all of our winnable games at home.

Clawson not making a bowl next year with that schedule would be a lot like Manning not sniffing the NIT this year. Both are fair expectations and failure to reach them will draw a lot of justifiable ire from the fan base.

Bill Connelly's 2016 S&P+ projections came out today. Wake is 74 and finished 2015 at 92.

Opponents are as follows:

9/1 Tulane 122
9/10 at Duke 51
9/17 Delaware NR
9/24 at Indiana 56
10/1 at NCSU 40
10/8 Syracuse 44
10/15 at FSU 5
10/22 Open
10/29 Army 124
11/5 Virginia 68
11/12 at Louisville 20
11/19 Clemson 3
11/26 BC 50
http://www.sbnation.com/college-foo...jections?_ga=1.33653985.1945612839.1454610555

Clear wins with Tulane, Delaware and Army and favored over UVA at home.

BC is a good final game to have. If we're 5-6 going into that I like our chances to get the W to put us over the top

I agree with that assessment. We won't be favored in enough games to make a bowl. We might win 6, but some of those would be upsets. Some on this board seem to downplay how bad Wake athletics actually are compared to other ACC teams.

During regular time of our only 2 ACC wins under Claw we have scored a total of 3 points.

Expecting a bowl is a recipe for a letdown.

Clawson was such a better hire than Manning, it's not even close. I predict a bowl season next year for the football Deacs with Rocky Reid becoming a star.

Wait people don't think we're going to make a bowl next year? That's my expectation. Our schedule is LOL-bad

Really if we do not make a bowl next season with at least six wins with the terrible schedule that we have it is going to be due to bad coaching. Seven home games against three bad nonconference teams plus Virginia, Boston College and Syracuse and going to Indiana who had a losing record is a prescription for bowl game if handled correctly right there.

Back