• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Dino defended himself & his players?

thedeacfan

Ricky Peral
Reaction score
Did anyone hear this?

From JennDeac on Scout...
"Haven't read the whole thread, so maybe someone has already posted this. But did anyone hear Bilas and his co-broadcaster discussing this during Thursday's game? After Bilas spewed forth the whole "culture" and "clean-up" talking points during Wednesday's game, apparently he and/or the other broadcaster talked to Dino on Thursday morning. (Don't know if Dino called them to defend the reputation of himself and his players, or if they called Dino to clarify.) Dino set the story straight: as in
1) if cleaning up, why did the AD keep all the assistant coaches
2) if Dino was recruiting the wrong type of guys, why did Buzz re-recruit the same guys?
3) did the problems actually occur under Dino's or Buzz's watch?
I was glad to hear Dino finally defend himself against all this revisionist history."

Did anyone hear this?

"Haven't read the whole thread, so maybe someone has already posted this. But did anyone hear Bilas and his co-broadcaster discussing this during Thursday's game? After Bilas spewed forth the whole "culture" and "clean-up" talking points during Wednesday's game, apparently he and/or the other broadcaster talked to Dino on Thursday morning. (Don't know if Dino called them to defend the reputation of himself and his players, or if they called Dino to clarify.) Dino set the story straight: as in
2) if Dino was recruiting the wrong type of guys, why did Buzz re-recruit the same guys?
I was glad to hear Dino finally defend himself against all this revisionist history."

Good for Dino, he should sue Wellman for libel, what a crock

Yeah. It's discussed on the game thread. I think Bilas was caught off-guard by the idea that saying Bz was tasked with cleaning up Wake basketball was a direct shot at Dino.

First time that I am aware of Dino commenting on Wake situation even if it is indirect. I would think as part of his settlement there was a clause to not talk or defame WFU. Not sure but it would seem likely. If not, I would love to see someone sit down and interview him on his reflections of his time at WFU.

Good for Dino - I posted this on a couple of other threads, but as far as I'm concerned, Wellman & Bz are the ones damaging the integrity of WFU. Before the start of the season Wellman grants extension and then after the season fires Dino for post season failure. Wellman hires Bz, which turns into an epic failure and the spin begins. I find both Wellman and [Redacted] to be an embarrassment to WFU and it's such bill shit that the media has been eating up this culture/clean up BS with no supporting info.

Oct. 14, 2009
Wake Forest University Director of Athletics Ron Wellman announced today that basketball coach Dino Gaudio has received a contract extension through the 2013-14 season.
"Dino has continued to move our basketball program forward, much as was anticipated when he was hired two years ago," said Wellman. "We are pleased with the progress of the student-athletes, both on and off the court, and Dino is responsible for that progress."

April 7, 2010 - not even 6 months after the above
If you're going to fire someone, just do it and say why.
Wellman did.
"The decision was based on the overall performance the past three years," Wellman said. "I looked at our February and March records and how the performances declined rather dramatically. We were 16-17 in February in those three years and in March 4-7, and 1-6 in postseason play, including the ACC tournament. In six of those losses, we were the higher-seeded team or better seeded in five of those losses. Yet the games weren't even close."

Yeah. It's discussed on the game thread. I think Bilas was caught off-guard by the idea that saying Bz was tasked with cleaning up Wake basketball was a direct shot at Dino.

Great... I thought I had actually added hours to my life by avoiding that thread and now...

A couple of quotes from the other thread.

Basically said that Dino disagreed with the idea that the program needed cleaning up after he left. And that Jeff re-recruited his guys that were deemed the problem children.

Sounds like Dino got in some McDonough and Bilas ear this morning.

I hope that Bilas feels like an ass. He certainly deserves it.

Dino is a good guy. His best friend died and he did the best he knew how. Which, in retrospect, wasn't that bad. In fact, it was pretty damn good as programs go. I still like Dino and wish him all the success in the world for holding the program together after Skip's death. Nothing, and I mean nothing, about where we are is on Dino. To say otherwise is... eh, you make it up. He would be a better candidate today than many on the wish list. End of sermon.

First time that I am aware of Dino commenting on Wake situation even if it is indirect. I would think as part of his settlement there was a clause to not talk or defame WFU. Not sure but it would seem likely. If not, I would love to see someone sit down and interview him on his reflections of his time at WFU.

if there was a clause, and i wouldn't doubt there was, i think they generally have an expiration date.

Dino is not receiving money any more from Wake. So, I guess ha can talk more freely. I hope he does. This obnoxious whispering campaign that Wellman has instigated through his enablers is one of the most offensive things about MSD. The people responsible for it should be fired immediately, and the enablers spreading it - who fancy themselves as better fans - are hurting the university's reputation and should be ashamed of themselves.

Either produce evidence if you accuse someone, or STFU.

As someone who signed a confidentiality clause when i left one job, mine had an expiration date of a couple of years. Sounds like Dino is out of the clause period. Someone should buy him some drinks.

Good for Dino. Bilas' self righteousness has ruined him as a commentator

Good for Dino. Bilas' self righteousness has ruined him as a commentator

I disagree with this last part. Bilas (and Rafferty) are as good as it gets. In this specific case, I hope Dino pulled him aside and set it straight, but how does that even have to happen? Bilas is too smart and connected not to know better, being both an ACC guy and an ESPN colleague (albeit not a peer) of Dino's.

I disagree with this last part. Bilas (and Rafferty) are as good as it gets. In this specific case, I hope Dino pulled him aside and set it straight, but how does that even have to happen? Bilas is too smart and connected not to know better, being both an ACC guy and an ESPN colleague (albeit not a peer) of Dino's.

I think it happened because Bilas hadn't done his homework on the topic and the game was a blowout so he needed something to say. Glad Dino set the record straight. Wellman has done him a great disservice

Did anyone hear this?

Really wish the story would come out about what was actually going on while Dino was in charge.......Dino is hardly setting the story straight. Look i hate the "culture" crap as much as anyone but what Bilas said is not wrong....

Really wish the story would come out about what was actually going on while Dino was in charge.......Dino is hardly setting the story straight. Look i hate the "culture" crap as much as anyone but what Bilas said is not wrong....

What was actually going on?

Please enlighten us, oh beacon of truth. . .

Good for Dino, he should sue Wellman for libel, what a crock

I'm not a lawyer, nor did I stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night, but I've wondered aloud if a defamation of character suit or something of that nature would be coming Wake's way.

Bilas thinks he's a hell of a lot smarter and connected than he is.

Back