• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Dino defended himself & his players?

To all the culture warriors out there who believe Dino needed to go. What was your opinion on the incident with the football team that got several players suspended years ago? How is that any different than the Clark and Teague issue? Why didn't we fire the football coach?

Let's not forget that Clark was the captain of [Redacted]'s first WF team.

That's a point that the revisionists seem to overlook.

All that happened with Clark is a horny girl wanted an All-American and settled for a bench player. G$ was done a great disservice by NBC, the woman and Wake.

I don't know what happened with Jeff. From the outside the biggest problem was he was a kid with a ton of people in his ear about going pro and was listening too much.

Dino got hit by a double whammy (No Whammy). His best friend died and Jeff Battle's wife was dying of cancer. Dino is a good assistant coach but not a good head coach. If either of those tragedies hadn't happened, Dino would still be an assistant coach at Wake and the program wouldn't have fallen apart.

Thank you...so that was it? Bilas didn't say the "clean up/culture" stuff was all BS?

McDonough gave Dino's take and Bilas was caught off guard.

1) anybody have a recording? I've been watching on WFMY rather than ESPN

2) as per Dino, in not super connected, but the only real complaints I heard were from faculty concerning athlete attendance and attitude toward class - sure some change was needed, but not a program overhaul, and certainly not the toxic culture charge, clean up the program spin

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Not sure how that could be blamed on one single person.

Maybe Dino hasn't talked because he's afraid. Skip was a pretty healthy guy. How do we know that heart attack wasn't chemically induced and ordered by Emperor Wellman?

:explode

Maybe Dino hasn't talked because he's afraid. Skip was a pretty healthy guy. How do we know that heart attack wasn't chemically induced and ordered by Emperor Wellman?

:explode

More likely have been Reff than Wellman.

Not sure how that could be blamed on one single person.

It can't, but from a program perspective, it's one of the few things that changed from Skip to Dino - not necessarily the type of recruit that was pursued, but the emphasis on school/accountability once they got here. It doesn't excuse the tale they've been trying about Dino, or doing the program overhaul with bz. Dino was neither skip not jimmy v, but he was a lot closer to skip on that continuum.

It can't, but from a program perspective, it's one of the few things that changed from Skip to Dino - not necessarily the type of recruit that was pursued, but the emphasis on school/accountability once they got here. It doesn't excuse the tale they've been trying about Dino, or doing the program overhaul with bz. Dino was neither skip not jimmy v, but he was a lot closer to skip on that continuum.

To me this is the more compelling culture argument. That Dino was not the kind of "builder of men" that Wellman wanted in charge of the basketball program. But, what doesn't float with that, is that [Redacted] is clearly lacking in the interpersonal skills to be a strong mentor. And, I think we've seen that born out over the past 4 years.

School/accountability should be an issue for the academic support staff as well. What changes were made there?

Because they don't know shit. They're just parroting what Ronnie has told them.

That may be true of some, but there are plenty of people that had their own interactions with the basketball program and formed their own opinions from direct interactions. I have no idea if Wellman has devised some systematic scheme to defame Dino, but what has happened seems to be blown out of proportion on this board. It helps to fuel the black and white story line that some feel the need to drive and others are just willing to accept in their frustration of the current situation.
If anyone makes a negative comment about the program pre-Bz, it is because Wellman fed that to them. Even Dino's buddy Deman, in the midst of his freakout, admitted there were lots of people within the department that were going to wake up the next morning thrilled with the decision. The fact is, there were people that were not please with the basketball program at the time of Dino's departure. Their speaking out (whispering) after the fact does not mean it was fueled or ordered by Wellman. There are a lot of people in the AD that may have their own personal agendas. To be clear, I am not saying Wellman has zero responsibility for the narrative, I just don't know, and neither do most here.
It just seems to simple-minded for those that think any negative comment pre-Bz comes directly from Wellman. Anyone that says almost anything positive is a shill or Wellman lackey. Our athletic department, sports programs and the people that make them up have their good and bad, just like always. It is not all one or the other. The difference recently has just been the balance has changed a bit. SOME don't seem capable of that nuance, but that is a separate issue.

1) anybody have a recording? I've been watching on WFMY rather than ESPN

2) as per Dino, in not super connected, but the only real complaints I heard were from faculty concerning athlete attendance and attitude toward class - sure some change was needed, but not a program overhaul, and certainly not the toxic culture charge, clean up the program spin

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Speculation that I think is plausible.

Some in the academic sphere of Wake are very hostile to athletics. We have seen numerous examples over the years.

There were probably some things about Skip's tenure that upset them, but Skip was such a popular guy that they couldn't gain much traction.

Skip dies and Dino comes in. Suddenly, they can complain about athlete's behavior and get more traction because Dino isn't nearly the force that Skip was.

The change is made, Dino is made a scapegoat and here we are.

From my vantage point, this is pretty accurate post. Though, I don't think Valvano was quite as evil as he was ultimately portrayed to be pre-cancer.

JimmyV had Washburn and other thugs. He didn't care at all that his players didn't go to class or graduate.

Back