• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Dino Gaudio

Sans Rebounding? Other than the most important part of defense, he's good at defense? Fucking genius. Here's a clue: The opponent is usually going to get a shot off, and they are usually going to miss. Who gets the ball next is pretty much the key to defense.

We play one true big man on the court at a time. We absolutely need help down low, which is why the recruiting thread is littered with complaints of constantly signing wings and mediocre SGs over a C/PF. That recruiting shortfall is on [Redacted]. But McKie's rebounding numbers are way down this year and I don't think that's all on Bzz. Rebounding is effort.

We play one true big man on the court at a time. We absolutely need help down low, which is why the recruiting thread is littered with complaints of constantly signing wings and mediocre SGs over a C/PF. That recruiting shortfall is on [Redacted]. But McKie's rebounding numbers are way down this year and I don't think that's all on Bzz. Rebounding is effort.

We do need help down low, but ericstratton is absolutely right on this one. Travis is playing a lot of SF this year, too, so effort aside (and it's been pitiful), he also isn't getting as many boards just drop to him, either.

A couple of reasons why I think that this is deeper than effort is in the numbers. For one, we have a lot of big bodies on this team. Dre is 7'0, Cav is 6'9, Devin is 6'8, and both Travis and Moto are 6'6 and better situated for the PF than SF position given what they have proven themselves capable of doing. There is enough depth for this team to not suck as much as they do at rebounding. Whether you want to blame five players' lack of production on Travis is up to you - the fact is that two of our best rebounders rarely play in the post and two of our post guys are horrendous rebounders. We can and should play two big guys on the court at the same time; with Moto or Travis, I think you're essentially playing three. The fact that Moto has been an absolute machine on the boards this year, grabbing 12.5 per 40 minutes pace adjusted, is also kind of confounding. He's leading the team and we haven't found a way to really fit him into the game plan yet (outside of setting him up for open threes).

Our team is not very talented, for sure, but there is no reason why we're playing as badly on the defensive end as we have been playing. The same goes for rebounding, a statistic that has followed Buzz around long before he ever got to Wake.

^Poor basic fundamentals like lack of positioning and boxing out from what I've seen. These are things second graders are taught on the first day of practice. Even Devin, who's second in the ACC in rebounding, shows weak technique often. Bzzz is definitely coaching them up.

Bzz's teams have ranked 330, 332, 323, 342, 341, 321, 321, 294, and 186 in OR% and 235, 45, 158, 220, 335, 283, 220, 125, and 199 in defensive OR% in his career. Clearly falls on Travis and the players' effort, not the coach.

Bzz's teams have ranked 330, 332, 323, 342, 341, 321, 321, 294, and 186 in OR% and 235, 45, 158, 220, 335, 283, 220, 125, and 199 in defensive OR% in his career. Clearly falls on Travis and the players' effort, not the coach.

I've discussed those stats in vague terms, having seen them on here and not knowing where to find them myself, but seeing them again and seeing just how dreadful they are takes me aback. That's just... man. You really have to try to have offensive rebounding stats that badly that consistently.

I've discussed those stats in vague terms, having seen them on here and not knowing where to find them myself, but seeing them again and seeing just how dreadful they are takes me aback. That's just... man. You really have to try to have offensive rebounding stats that badly that consistently.

KenPom.

^Poor basic fundamentals like lack of positioning and boxing out from what I've seen. These are things second graders are taught on the first day of practice. Even Devin, who's second in the ACC in rebounding, shows weak technique often. Bzzz is definitely coaching them up.

Agreed and, like you said, that can be taught. That's whether Buzz comes in and that's why his teams are so consistently bad at rebounding, despite having coached some really solid rebounders.

A note on Devin: he is the second best rebounder on the season of players in the ACC, but he is the not the best rebounder in ACC conference play. When you look at the splits, the distinction between those two situations is quite clear.

We played an OOC of donks and it has significantly inflated both Devin and Codi's stats.

You don't need to remind me that he's not a good head coach. I'm definitely not making that argument. He's not a good recruiter, he's stiff and he doesn't handle pressure well. Overall, he's a poor leader. But, I'm also not going to say he's HIV Patient Zero and everything he does is toxic. We had a nice gameplan, including on the defensive side, against UNC, NCSU and ND. There are glimpses of an effective basketball mind. I could see him having a Nix-like role at another school. That's all I'm saying.

I could come up with a decent gameplan for 3 games a year and I haven't coached for half a decade. Every coach on our staff could come up with something every once in a while. Bz is as consistently poor a game planner as I have ever seen in major college basketball and I have seen a great deal in person and on film.

Agreed and, like you said, that can be taught. That's whether Buzz comes in and that's why his teams are so consistently bad at rebounding, despite having coached some really solid rebounders.

A note on Devin: he is the second best rebounder on the season of players in the ACC, but he is the not the best rebounder in ACC conference play. When you look at the splits, the distinction between those two situations is quite clear.

We played an OOC of donks and it has significantly inflated both Devin and Codi's stats.

Devin is tied with CJ Fair for 16th in the conference in rebounding with 6.4.

To add to this, he's 22nd in defensive reb%, and 38th in offensive reb% in conference play. Moto has actually been our best rebounder this year.

I laugh every time I hear the "best rebounder in the ACC" stat that sports marketing keeps feeding the announcers.

Saw Dino in the CLT airport this morning. I chatted with him for about 5 minutes and he could not have been more gracious and engaging. Told him I was a Wake grad and enjoyed his commentary and what he did at Wake with Skip and as head coach. His response was "thank you Steve...I really appreciate the kind words."

Saw Dino in the CLT airport this morning. I chatted with him for about 5 minutes and he could not have been more gracious and engaging. Told him I was a Wake grad and enjoyed his commentary and what he did at Wake with Skip and as head coach. His response was "thank you Steve...I really appreciate the kind words."

whoa dude, that's one hell of a story there; thanks for sharing

I saw Dino at the quiznos on peace haven in spring 2008. I said "Hi, coach." He responded by saying "Hi."

Decent story.

I saw Dino at the quiznos on peace haven in spring 2008. I said "Hi, coach." He responded by saying "Hi."

One upped that previous story. Classic apetit.

To be fair to Devin, he was the only proven rebounder we had coming into this season. So, he's the one the other teams try to neutralize. Moto has been a pleasant suprise to both friend and foe. Good that the kid can take advantage of the attention devoted to Devin by our opponents. We need a new coach and some good rebounders to help Devin.

Now that I reread my original comment it came off lots more harsh than I intended. I apologize for that. I was really just trying to say that rebounding is the key to any good defense and we are severely lacking in that category. I could have said that instead of coming off like a jerk.

Back