• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Dino Gaudio

Still buying into the lie that he's some sort of X's and O's expert? :wtftard:

He's no John Wooden, but his biggest weakness is not Xs and Os from what I have seen. It's everything else....

And I agree Dino seems to be doing a nice job with ESPNU. Good for him.

I see the post game interview with cal and thought it was a bit awkward. But i do think Dino does a good job as an analyst.

I always held the opinion that Dino had a good mind for the game. I think his major flaw that needed to be worked in was game management. He obviously had a good defensive philosophy and he was always able to draw up individual effective offensive plays, but having an effective offense is much different from individual plays. You can't run a quick hitter every time down the court. Eventually you have to see the flow if the game and mold the offense around the particular game. Dino needed work on that.

Perhaps his time in the booth will help him see what other coaches are doing and adapt. I maintain that Dino could be a very good college coach. He wasn't all that bad for us.

Last edited:
He's no John Wooden, but his biggest weakness is not Xs and Os from what I have seen. It's everything else....

And I agree Dino seems to be doing a nice job with ESPNU. Good for him.

Is it his biggest issue? No. The man has a lot of issues. But we were sold on him being an expert. He's not even close. A lot of people still buy into it because they want to believe there was some sort of justification for hiring him.

He occasionally has a great game plan to start a game, but those game plans are created with lots of time and would generally have input from the entire coaching staff, particularly the assistant in charge of scouting the team. Once a game starts and decisions are up to him, he has ZERO ability to adjust. We come out hot for 5-10 minutes, the other team adjusts and it's game over. We consistently come out of halftime and get hammered. He almost never uses timeouts appropriately. Players with a hot hand get pulled from the game and/or just don't get plays run for them. We occasionally put absolutely absurd lineups on the floor. Our defensive strategy almost always sucks. His overall game plan has his teams getting killed in rebounding for 7 years running now. Point out to me what Buzz does that would make him a good assistant coach, as Manhasset suggested. He's just awful all around.

His best X's and O's were at AFA, a place where he kept things "as is" and never really implemented his system.

Is it his biggest issue? No. The man has a lot of issues. But we were sold on him being an expert. He's not even close. A lot of people still buy into it because they want to believe there was some sort of justification for hiring him.

He occasionally has a great game plan to start a game, but those game plans are created with lots of time and would generally have input from the entire coaching staff, particularly the assistant in charge of scouting the team. Once a game starts and decisions are up to him, he has ZERO ability to adjust. We come out hot for 5-10 minutes, the other team adjusts and it's game over. We consistently come out of halftime and get hammered. He almost never uses timeouts appropriately. Players with a hot hand get pulled from the game and/or just don't get plays run for them. We occasionally put absolutely absurd lineups on the floor. Our defensive strategy almost always sucks. His overall game plan has his teams getting killed in rebounding for 7 years running now. Point out to me what Buzz does that would make him a good assistant coach, as Manhasset suggested. He's just awful all around.

His best X's and O's were at AFA, a place where he kept things "as is" and never really implemented his system.

All these things you are pointing out wouldn't be an issue as an assistant coach. Right now, we run a decent offense given our limited shooting ability and overall sub-par talent. Out-of-bounds plays are solid, set plays are solid, and I'm a lot higher on our defensive performance (sans rebounding) than you are.

But all this stuff you're talking about regarding using time outs, substitutions, pressure adjustments, etc., more prove my point than counter it. He's not a good head coach. He's a better behind-the-scenes, game-planning, strategist. Not John Wooden but he could make a living out of it.

John Wooden didn't really scout his opposition before games, he just focused on having his team prepared to run their sets perfectly.

All these things you are pointing out wouldn't be an issue as an assistant coach. Right now, we run a decent offense given our limited shooting ability and overall sub-par talent. Out-of-bounds plays are solid, set plays are solid, and I'm a lot higher on our defensive performance (sans rebounding) than you are.

But all this stuff you're talking about regarding using time outs, substitutions, pressure adjustments, etc., more prove my point than counter it. He's not a good head coach. He's a better behind-the-scenes, game-planning, strategist. Not John Wooden but he could make a living out of it.

Ah - we're back to obvious improvement.

How, exactly are you a fan of the defense that we run, that leaves a TON of open perimeter jumpers and results in a free-for-all on the offensive boards?

Likewise, how is a good behind the scenes coach, who is trained as an advance scout and allegedly brilliant at x's and o's, so incapable of adjusting on either side of the ball, when a team figures out what's up? That's not in-game coaching, either, because this stuff usually happens with the halftime break thrown in or good measure.

Anyone that claims the X's and O's prowess of [Redacted] simply cannot account for the lack of rebounding over his 7 year High Major Coaching career. His team is no better in year 7 than it was in year 1 at Colorado. That is simply unacceptable for someone who supposedly knows the game of basketball. It shows a complete inability to strategically adjust to your weaknesses, and recruit to strengthen them.

Anyone that claims the X's and O's prowess of [Redacted] simply cannot account for the lack of rebounding over his 7 year High Major Coaching career. His team is no better in year 7 than it was in year 1 at Colorado. That is simply unacceptable for someone who supposedly knows the game of basketball. It shows a complete inability to strategically adjust to your weaknesses, and recruit to strengthen them.

You don't need to remind me that he's not a good head coach. I'm definitely not making that argument. He's not a good recruiter, he's stiff and he doesn't handle pressure well. Overall, he's a poor leader. But, I'm also not going to say he's HIV Patient Zero and everything he does is toxic. We had a nice gameplan, including on the defensive side, against UNC, NCSU and ND. There are glimpses of an effective basketball mind. I could see him having a Nix-like role at another school. That's all I'm saying.

You don't need to remind me that he's not a good head coach. I'm definitely not making that argument. He's not a good recruiter, he's stiff and he doesn't handle pressure well. Overall, he's a poor leader. But, I'm also not going to say he's HIV Patient Zero and everything he does is toxic. We had a nice gameplan, including on the defensive side, against UNC, NCSU and ND. There are glimpses of an effective basketball mind. I could see him having a Nix-like role at another school. That's all I'm saying.

How would you describe our gameplans against UNC and NCSU? Our gameplan against ND was to hope that they ran out of gas (basically their entire team was injured or suspended; we simply outlasted them).

15iqtl.jpg

"I don't watch the satellites"

How would you describe our gameplans against UNC and NCSU? Our gameplan against ND was to hope that they ran out of gas (basically their entire team was injured or suspended; we simply outlasted them).

Winning ones. And we were beating ND for the majority of the game so I think it's an gross oversimplification to say that our gameplan was to hope they ran out of gas.

Listen, I'm not rushing to be the [Redacted] defender, but we find ways to blame him for pretty much every loss and everything wrong with our basketball team. Fine, he deserves that and I hope he's gone next year. But when we do win, he should also share in the credit. And if he's a bad recruiter, bad leader, bad under pressure, and a bad motivator, then I'm deductively reasoning that what's left is his basketball knowledge.

Winning ones. And we were beating ND for the majority of the game so I think it's an gross oversimplification to say that our gameplan was to hope they ran out of gas.

Listen, I'm not rushing to be the [Redacted] defender, but we find ways to blame him for pretty much every loss and everything wrong with our basketball team. Fine, he deserves that and I hope he's gone next year. But when we do win, he should also share in the credit. And if he's a bad recruiter, bad leader, bad under pressure, and a bad motivator, then I'm deductively reasoning that what's left is his basketball knowledge.

I'm not talking about whether we won or not. I'm asking if you can ID the gameplan that we executed to win those games:

Calling the ND gameplan "hope they ran out of gas" is not an oversimplification. Watch the game and imagine that they didn't lose their best player and half of their bench.

We beat State on a last second shot after they shot 20 more FG than we did, but made just 41% FG.

We were in a one-possession game with ND even though they shot 39% FG and had 14 more FG.

We beat UNC after they attempted 20+ more shots than we did, but only made 38% of them.

And the best part about college basketball seasons is that we get large sample sizes. We know that it's not our 3FG D, especially after the way that we lost to Duke, GT, etc. Though Buzz gets credit for the Ws, he doesn't get credit for improvement.

The takeaway from our "big" wins this year should be that we can beat below-average teams that play us either at 1/2 strength (Richmond, ND, VT, and USC), miserable teams well worse than we are (Colgate, VMI, Jacksonville, Citadel, Presbyterian, Tulane, UNCG and St Bonnie's), and teams that can't hit the broadside of a barn (UNC and NCState). We know that these are not exceptions, but rather the rule, in part because we have lost games where teams have either found their shooting touch (Syracuse, Duke, KU, UVA, Pitt, and Tennessee) or against teams of similar levels of suckitude (GT, Clemson, and Xavier).

I'll take a stab at answering my own question - Buzz's game plan is to collapse on an opponent's interior defense early and often, asking Codi, Madison, and Bill to drive and look for Devin and Cav inside while Travis holds down open "garbage" looks on the perimeter. As we saw vs. Duke, Pitt, and Syracuse, this can work for typically one half before the opposing coach is able to adjust accordingly. Either we respond by reverting to Buzz-ball, passing around the perimeter until we get a less contested look (usually most open are Travis, Bill, and Cav). We then rely on poor perimeter shooters making perimeter jumpers, or poor offensive rebounders getting looks inside.

IF all of that works and with a dab of clutch-luck (CMM's game-winner, for instance), then you get a W over an average team. If all of that doesn't work, then you get the "one half won" and/or "we played hard"-moral victories that we've become accustomed to in the Buzz-era.

How was that?

So I really don't care much about Bzzzzs ability to gameplan or X's and O's or any of that other crap. The team with the best players wins 9 out of 10. When we had Skip and Dino we hada chance to get players that were among the best in the country at their position, with Bzz we get guys that were in the top 5 at their position in their HS conference. End of story.... He could be the greatest x and o guy of all time it wouldn't matter

John Wooden didn't really scout his opposition before games, he just focused on having his team prepared to run their sets perfectly.

Exactly so. I read his book. He figured if they were perfect the other teams would be the ones to have to worry about making adjustments. Of course, he was right more than he was wrong.

[Redacted] would be a fine assistant coach. Draw up plays, scout, Xs and Os. Just don't ask him to lead, talk publicly, and make hard decisions.

Don't assistants have to form and maintain relationships with recruits?

Don't assistants have to form and maintain relationships with recruits?

Numbers said it best. He was a good advance scout and that was his professional ceiling in basketball. Peter principle at it's finest.

Sans Rebounding? Other than the most important part of defense, he's good at defense? Fucking genius. Here's a clue: The opponent is usually going to get a shot off, and they are usually going to miss. Who gets the ball next is pretty much the key to defense.

Back