• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Dino: WFU source sez atmosphere in AD is "toxic"

Dino and Seth for that matter both like their cushy ESPN studio gigs and likely neither will coach again.

Seth is on game day and coached in one NCAA tournament game in his career? He is good on the air but no pedigree.

I guess I've defended Dino a lot on this thread but I can certainly admit that a) he was way over his head as a coach and b) he certainly benefits from being Wellman's foil here. The enemy of my enemy is my friend and all that.
I for one certainly like Dino a lot more now that he's not coaching us anymore. And if Wellman had hired Brad Stevens or even a decent HC post-Dino who could re-establish the momentum of the early-mid2000s, Dino would be an afterthought in Wake history.

If Wellman has nailed the post-Dino hire, Dino would likely be seen as a vital link in continuing the early-mid2000s momentum to the present day.

Wake Basketball from 1990-2010 can be seen as a Top 25 program with sustained success, missed opportunities in the postseason, and two small dips after losing future hall-of-famers (with the dip after Paul being slightly worse). If we had hired the right coach there is no reason to think that run of success would not have continued.

Do you think that will get him promotion from ESPN? I didn't feel like that was his angle at all. They like to doll up controversy but I really don't think this will get that much play at all.
Don't pay any attention to what DCDeac has to say about Dino, he's been holding his grudge against Dino like a petulant child since the Cleveland St. game, as if ours was the first underperforming team in the history of basketball.

Your meme is a grumpy cat and your name is a dick joke, but you call someone else a "petulant child?" Might want to look up what petulant means - I'm far and away one of the most optimistic posters on the boards.

Dino's failures are just fact. There's no banner for being ranked #1 for a week. [Redacted] could have gone winless and it wouldn't have changed how poor a job Dino did as coach with the weapons that were left to him. And the kids he left behind have been kicked out of about 5 different schools at this point.

Manning gets it. We'll be good again. Instead of name calling and defending an interim coach from 5 years ago, why not focus on the future. Truth is, even if Dino's justifiably bitter - he's not a part of Wake's future and he has no business dishing gossip about it.

Was regretting starting this thread til I saw the womb is so polluted tag. All the pos

It enjoy seeing Dino take pot shots at Wellman. I hope any attention on the pathetic situation in our AD will lead to some change.

But let's be real. Dino owes Wellman. Dino didn't deserve the contract extension. Dino didn't deserve a 4th year. Dino didn't deserve the buyout. He didn't deserve anymore than an interim year on behalf of Skip. But Wellman gave him 3 years and 3 years in the head coaching fraternity probably got him this broadcasting gig because ESPN does seem to hire assistant coaches who got canned.

I understand Dino needs to get his shots in now. He probably just got off of his buyout leash and Wake basketball won't even be a semi-relevant topic of discussion for the next seven months. This was his time to vent. That's fine. But let's not forget, Dino was fired 5 years ago. Elsa's warming up her pipes.

maxresdefault.jpg

Last edited:
Your meme is a grumpy cat and your name is a dick joke, but you call someone else a "petulant child?" Might want to look up what petulant means - I'm far and away one of the most optimistic posters on the boards.

Dino's failures are just fact. There's no banner for being ranked #1 for a week. [Redacted] could have gone winless and it wouldn't have changed how poor a job Dino did as coach with the weapons that were left to him. And the kids he left behind have been kicked out of about 5 different schools at this point.

Manning gets it. We'll be good again. Instead of name calling and defending an interim coach from 5 years ago, why not focus on the future. Truth is, even if Dino's justifiably bitter - he's not a part of Wake's future and he has no business dishing gossip about it.
"Holding a grudge like". Read more better. It was one game, get on with your life. 33 teams lose in the first round every year, including a few who are better than that 2009 Wake team.

Indeed, which makes it odd that you are still continuing to overstate them 5 years after he left. The dude won 2/3 of his games, went to two NCAA tournaments and had two full recruiting classes that consisted of five 4* players and two 3* players. He absolutely should have done more with the talent he had, but to act like he was an abject dumpster fire is distorting the truth.

And can we please stop with this "assistant coaches don't recruit" bullshit. They do a lot of the recruiting, in fact. Dino and Skips remaining staff were partially responsible for recruiting those classes, and they were completely responsible for holding them together when Skip died.

I mean Dino has been gone from the department for five years and to my knowledge doesn't have many close connections left there. Doesn't mean the atmosphere is toxic or isn't currently, but I'd be wary about giving his opinion much more weight than your own
You were a ticket booth intern. Shut the fuck up.

And can we please stop with this "assistant coaches don't recruit" bullshit. They do a lot of the recruiting, in fact. Dino and Skips remaining staff were partially responsible for recruiting those classes, and they were completely responsible for holding them together when Skip died.

I agree. DCDeac, however, thinks Dino shouldn't get credit for bringing in the talent that he eventually wasted but should (for some reason) be blamed for the talent he brought in that someone else eventually wasted.

This distorts the fact that, on the contrary, Dino played a huge role in bringing in the core of his two tournament teams, while playing no role whatsoever in what happened with some of his recruits after he left.

Dino seemed to take the gloves off after the comments that were made at the Notre Dame tournament game last year about all of the "culture" issues that [name redacted] had to overcome. Clearly they were veiled shots at him to cover for [name redacted].

Before that he didn't say much at all, but he reacted pretty harshly to Wake attacking his character through the SID.

You mean the comments from his ESPN co-workers? Who seemed to suddenly realize they were being critical of a guy they now work with?

Separately, it's not that Bzzzzz makes people hate Dino, it's that Bzzzz made Dino look like John Wooden. Dino had 1st round draft picks on everyone of his teams and zero ACCT wins.

Bobby Knight would have taken us to the Final 4 in 2009.
Tacy would have gotten us to the final 8
Odom to the sweet 16
Skip to the 2nd round :)

Last edited:
You mean the comments from his ESPN co-workers? Who seemed to suddenly realize they were being critical of a guy they now work with?

Separately, it's not that Bzzzzz makes people hate Dino, it's that Bzzzz made Dino look like John Wooden. Dino had 1st round draft picks on everyone of his teams and zero ACCT wins.

Bobby Knight would have taken us to the Final 4 in 2009.
Tacy would have gotten us to the final 8
Odom to the sweet 16
Skip to the 2nd round :)
We all know that was fed from the WFU sid

Dino should keep his mouth shut if he ever wants to coach again. No AD will ever hire him. He should politely decline or deflect comment good or bad.

Beyond stupid! Why the fuck would he want to coach again? He's got a much easier gig and doesn't need to keep his mouth shut.

Dino? What? 60-20 or something in the ACC. Two NCAA bids. No known coaching offers in 5 years. I've never heard him on a list for a Power 5 conference, not sure I've heard him on any list.

If DM is getting $2M/yr from Wake, Dino's ACC record should be worth that much, which I'm betting is probably 10 times what ESPN is paying him.

The mistake was signing up Dino when our backs were against the wall after Skip's death. Just remember many thought we had to do that to save the AT&T class.

If Dino's got something to say, just say it don't hide behind 'high level' sources.

If DM is getting 2M a year, then Wellman should be summarily dismissed for insanity.

Wellman's made so many mistakes. Where do we begin? Not putting an interim tag on Dino. The extension. The manner in which he fired Dino. The [Redacted] "experiment." In any other business, he'd be working at Wal-Mart by now. At Wake Forest, he gets to play golf and hobknob with ACC legends. What a gig.

As much as there seems to be a huge anti Dino sentiment, and I'm in total agreement that his coaching skills were lackluster, ask yourself this:

Could you watch WFU basketball during the Dino years?

I could and did, every week. Frustrating at times yelling at the dumb ass coaching, but I watched. In the last 2 years, I can count on 1 hand how many WFU Basketball games I've watched. Culture Changed for sure. Got toxic and forced fans to give up all together.

At least with Dino at the helm, on recruiting alone, we had an ounce of hope and NCAA tournament appearances. Now we just trudge along with mediocre talent and end our season on the 'high' of losing in the 1st round of the ACC, often to inferior (record wise) teams.

Yeah, Dino's the problem...

How much of this Dino hate is really just hate for being so utterly wrong about [redacted]?

The dude was a mediocre coach but always seemed like a pleasant guy. He wasted talent (like pretty much every Wake coach) which was certainly frustrating, but he also kept the program together after Skip passed and more or less maintained the level of success we had before he took over. He wasn't the long term answer but that doesn't seem like a reason to hate on him five years after he was fired, simply because he pointed out the obvious.

Agreed.

Wellman has lied to us so much I believe something Dino says more then Wellman at this point. Dino was in over his head and wasn't the solution here. With that said, if he wants to speak his mind now that he can, let him.

Back