• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Disco Dan Article: Despite setbacks, [Redacted] remains optimistic

Regardless, to clarify my post, I read DeacAlum2001's post about the incoming recruits to say that hopefully they will bring some notoriety to the bball program during their tenure, which will hopefully translate into a couple of all-star recruits that will get us back on track. If I misunderstood DeacAlum2001's post, then whoops.

That's kind of what I meant. Not so much worried about gaining notoriety, but more about stemming the slide. The 97 class followed the Duncan years so it was a different situation. But the first 3 years of the class we did not do nearly as well as fans expected, going to the NIT all 3 years (winning it the 3rd year). Then we returned to the NCAAs. I'm hoping this incoming class can put us back on track to at least make the NIT and build from there to return to the NCAAs. That 97 class was the foundation for rebuilding following the Duncan and Childress years. I don't think they necessarily translated into better recruiting since it was more the success under Duncan and Childress that helped with that plus Odom was a decent recruiter and good at spotting undervalued talent, especially outside the US.

The foundation class was the ABCDE class. I see your point. My point still stands that what was considered a low point 15 years ago would now be considered progress.

The foundation class was the ABCDE class. I see your point. My point still stands that what was considered a low point 15 years ago would now be considered progress.

I agree that what was a low point then would be progress today. I knew they were different situations. I'm just hoping the influx of a large class will stop the slide and start us in another direction.

Also, I hate you for reminding me that was 15 years ago. I started with that class and can't believe that was 15 years ago.

My first two years at Wake were the ACC Championships. I enrolled at Wake half my life ago.

It's a reasonable hope that the large class will help stop the slide. We already have two of the best players in the league on the roster. They're not on the level of Howard and Darius but they're good enough to lead a 8-10 win ACC team (18 game season)

Disagree that a team with McKie and Harris as your 2 best players can have win 8-10 games in the ACC. A team with those 2 guys as the 2nd and 3rd best could be a NCAA team. A team with those 2 guys as the 3rd and 4th best players could be a sweet 16 team. At 4th and 5th best, they could be championship contenders.

Disagree that a team with McKie and Harris as your 2 best players can have win 8-10 games in the ACC. A team with those 2 guys as the 2nd and 3rd best could be a NCAA team. A team with those 2 guys as the 3rd and 4th best players could be a sweet 16 team. At 4th and 5th best, they could be championship contenders.

Just by the math they are. Two of the top what 12 or so returning players in a weak 12 team league? With good coaching and a decent supporting cast, that's a .500 team.

Just by the math they are. Two of the top what 12 or so returning players in a weak 12 team league? With good coaching and a decent supporting cast, that's a .500 team.

Agreed. Clemson went 8-8 this past year and their best two players were Andre Young and... Devin Booker? Tanner Smith? ACC ain't what it used to be.

Agreed. Clemson went 8-8 this past year and their best two players were Andre Young and... Devin Booker? Tanner Smith? ACC ain't what it used to be.

That is the really sad part about how bad we're doing this. We're doing it in what is probably the weakest period in ACC history. Could you imagine how bad we would be looking if this was the early to mid 1990s or early to mid 2000's?

We're worse than our ACC performance the last two years indicates. We're just lucky this is happening while everyone else is down...

JB: I’m out there. I’m in the community. I speak as often as I can. I’m out there walking and exercising in classes every day. I meet a lot of people, in church, at (Winston-Salem) Dash games, where I’ve had season tickets last year. I meet a lot of people. I have a lot of friends. A lot of people know me. Perhaps those who say that they don’t know me are the ones that. . . There are a lot of people that do know me. In my own way, it’s got to happen naturally. And I’m doing everything that I can to make sure that people do know me. My wife is involved in many, many activities. So we have a very close circle of friends and are constantly looking to make new friends.

"[Redacted] interview with Dan IV"

This is your chance, DV7. He wants to meet you.

This guy really doesn't have a clue about anything does he? Every interview he's a combination of defensive, evasive and distorts facts to meet his agenda (i.e. using announced attendance figures, technically we weren't in last place, etc.)

"[Redacted] interview with Dan IV"

This is your chance, DV7. He wants to meet you.

Doesn't that comment make you cringe a little? This is why I can't read any more of these interviews. I'm starting to feel sad for him.

I wonder about the assistants, of course we never have to wait long for bad news around here.

I am cautiously starting to think that Coach B is not going anywhere next season. Nothing bubbling at all. Fingers crossed ...

Winning more games is a double edged sword. While we certainly want the Deacs to improve and I'll always pull hard for the players, their winning will only prolong our agony with Bzzz. So what if he gets them to a 50% season? That may be the pinnacle of his achievement, but Wellman will need 5 more years to figure that out.

Sucks to be a Wake fan sometimes.

Yeah, Debbie Downer.

MTOW: One comment I’ve heard is that a lot of people haven’t gotten to know you at Wake Forest. Do you feel a need to make a stronger connection to the fan base?

JB: I’m out there. I’m in the community. I speak as often as I can. I’m out there walking and exercising in classes every day. I meet a lot of people, in church, at (Winston-Salem) Dash games, where I’ve had season tickets last year. I meet a lot of people. I have a lot of friends. A lot of people know me. Perhaps those who say that they don’t know me are the ones that. . . There are a lot of people that do know me. In my own way, it’s got to happen naturally. And I’m doing everything that I can to make sure that people do know me. My wife is involved in many, many activities. So we have a very close circle of friends and are constantly looking to make new friends.

:laugh:

My home smells of mahogany, I have many leather bound books...my dog ate an entire wheel of cheese! Seriously, I wasn't even mad.

Doesn't that comment make you cringe a little? This is why I can't read any more of these interviews. I'm starting to feel sad for him.

A little? I cringed the second I clicked on the link...

I'm sure we would be the best of buds!

I just have to aimlessly wonder around Dash games.

Bzz seems the kind of guy who would have a suite. Do they even have suites? I've only been to one Dash game.

Back